The World Series of Drum Corps

Are the performance fees and such at regular shows split between all 24 corps or just the 5-8 corps performing?

Appearance fees go to the corps that actually "appear" at the show....but all DCI member corps receive a portion of the additional profits that DCI-sanctioned events generate through a revenue-sharing formula.

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree with dbc03 - at this point, all that's left of the original proposal is the Super Show concept, and what kind of American thinks that it's wrong for those with ability and ambition to go out and maximize on their abilities? If they succeed, they've proved their point, and if they fail, then they'll have bear the shame of that failure.

True. I just don't think they came even close to gauging many fans' emotional reaction to the original proposal, and after what I heard last Wednesday night, I think this is going to be a thorn in their side for years to come. Justifiably so, IMO, given the ramifications of what was contained in the original proposal. How the G7 could be so blind to that is beyond me, but it's out there for them to see and hear now.

A few thoughts -

- Omaha? What genius thought that one up? I thought we were trying to reach the untapped markets of American band youth? For that matter, San Antonio *and* Austin? That's pretty hardcore overkill.

- The numbers they're posting are ridiculously low for attendance. I'm assuming that's to make the per-corps profit seem nice and non-threatening. "See? We'll be barely making any more than we do now!"

- To me, the most telling part is that this tour was arranged separate of DCI, will be marketed and sold independent of DCI, yet they're telling the other corps how cooperative they are by appearing at a few corps' home shows. A blatant attempt to buy votes - you may have a G7 corps at your home show! - while still sticking it to DCI. Make no mistake - this is still a blatant money grab against the collective drum corps. A G7 show equals a DCI show they will not be attending.

This is just an attempt to get the same ends achieved in stages. G7 will try to bribe member corps for support with the "home show" idea, then next year, when DCI-run show attendance is down (due to this competing-but-we're-not-competing) circuit, the G7 will propose that they take over DCI's operations since "they can do it better." After all, 155,000 Facebook friends can't be wrong, can they?

You want real compromise? Run the WSDC under DCI - take an increased % as payout, and still let the remaining revenue to into the general distribution fund. If the G7 shows will be as big of a draw as they say they will, then everyone will profit. I have no problem featuring the best corps and driving up ticket numbers, but they're trying to harm the other corps.

Oh, and if there really was room for compromise, I'd have guessed they wouldn't be in the final stages of setting stadiums and dates. At this point, I would almost recommend DCI cut them loose.

Sheesh.

Mike

Appearance fees go to the corps that actually "appear" at the show....but all DCI member corps receive a portion of the additional profits that DCI-sanctioned events generate through a revenue-sharing formula.

And clearly that's what they're trying to get around. Like I just said, a true compromise would be to set up additional / alternate G7 shows that allocate a higher % of money to performing (G7) corps, while still contributing to revenue sharing.

Mike

Interesting that the qualifications for inclusion went from top 8 for 3 consecutive years to top 7, right as a certain non-g7 corps is about to meet that threshold... Confirming what many thought the first time... they'll never *really* let anyone join their club, this is about locking out new competition.

I would have no problem if we wanted to create a bunch of murfreesboro-model shows every week of the season. But DECIDE IT ON THE FIELD like we do for murfreesboro. None of this 'we've been good in the past, so we deserve this forevermore' crap. And for that matter, why 7? Id say the line of 'elite' goes lower than that. This year id say the entire top 12 certainly qualifies.

Edited by AlexL

No - they are just taking over the Charlotte show which has been run for years by Crown. It will probably be in Ft Mill or Rock Hill - South Carolina.

Of course . . .we've been without a show for a few years now, so I'd fully expect this to be down in the home base of Fort Mill once it's all said and done.

. . .just yankin' my own chain there.

I guess we're at least guaranteed a busy off season around here now. :tongue:

One of my concerns about this is that the average young performer will be more drawn to one of the elite 7 corps so that they can experience performing at one of these large shows. I see this hurting the corps that are right on the cusp of performing at the level of some of the elite corps, particularly Boston, Blue Stars, Madison, Blue Knights, The Academy, Colts....hell, I could go on and on really. There are many performers out there and soon-to-be out there that have the talent level to perform with both Phantom and Blue Stars (for example), but might be swayed to go to Phantom b/c they get these extra performances with the other elite corps. This, over time as more and more talent chooses Phantom, will hurt the competitiveness of Blue Stars. Again, just an example of two corps, but something that I could see across the board particularly for corps that are close geographically (Spirit/Crown, Boston/Cadets, Glassmen/Bluecoats).

I've always considered World Class the major league and Open Class the minor league. Now, its like we are dividing World Class into a major and minor league, and who wants to stay in the minor league when they can play in the majors?

The other thing I'm confused on, are these corps just going to perform the same show that they are touring DCI with, or will it be the same show but with other effects that are not permitted at a DCI show?

Just to catch me up without reading 9 pages of posts, is the WSoDC a DCP proposal or from the G7 themselves?

Direct from G7, although I don't know where the document came from or who its intended audience was. I think, like the original powerpoint, this was not intended for fan consumption.

It's on page 2 of this thread:

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/inde...t&p=2874994

First, it is not a new idea - greed is as old as humankind.

Second - it is not worth a shot to try something new if that new thing is at the expense of others. This is a direct frontal assault on DCI as an organization and all other corps that fall under the DCI umbrella.

Third - Star went off and did their own thing. They did not try to co-opt DCI for their own purposes.

I agree. On the field of battle, if a foreign foe invades 100 miles of my territory the " compromise " is not the withdrawal of invading troops back 50 miles to secure peace. Only if I feel weak and deperate do I negotiate that " compromise ".

There can be no compromise that lessens the future competitive and financial standing of the non G-7 Corps it would seem to me. Unless the G-7 can explain the benefits that will enhance BOTH the G-7 and the others so that it is not a lopsided situation that is seen as futhering the advantanges of the ALREADY advantaged, this seems like a non starter to me from securing any support from the non G-7 Corps.

Actually, no it isn't. This proposal is a plain-and-simple money grab, not because of the mythical "draw" of these corps, but because of their demand to seize all the proceeds from selected events.

Let me put this in terms you can understand. Say the Blue Knights, Colts, Academy and Pacific Crest got together and decided that instead of running 9 DCI-sanctioned events like they usually do, they are going to dictate the terms of business for their events in 2011. While still availing themselves of the services that DCI provides in macro-marketing, training judges and contest coordinators, creating a logical summer-long tour, dealing with licensing issues, website creation and maintenance, etc., these corps now demand all the profit from their shows go to them directly, with no DCI revenue sharing. Of course, these four corps still expect their revenue-sharing from all the other DCI shows, some of which they do not participate in. Does that sound fair and reasonable to you?

If those four corps thought they could put together a series of events outside the regular DCI schedule that they could use to greatly increase their earned revenues as a portion of overall organizational budget, you bet your __ I'd think they should do it. It'd prove to the G7 that these four corps don't need to have BD or SCV or whoever show up at their home show to make money.

Next question?

Edited by mobrien