The World Series of Drum Corps

...from what I understand. They didnt/dont even know about it...as of Sunday, anyway.

G

IMHO Cavaliers speak out of both sides of mouth

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay.... let's say for argumentative purposes, that this G7 thing is exactly like the forming of DCI in 1971.

So What?

What does that prove?...... it only proves that it would most likely kill off all the other corps in the long run. Is that a good thing? Will the activity be better if there is only 7 junior drum corps left?

Well, I dont say it was exact BUT to your question. Im not trying to prove anything other than the fact that Drum Corps at that time was interested in taking care of themselves and NOT carrying the weight of others of the anchor of the VFW or Legion. This part seems the same. JUst making the comparison that BYLINE posted and agreeing with them , not making a choice of which I like or dislike.

The proforma projections are intentionally set to make sure that they don't look too good, IMO. In other words, they are not trying to figure out the fully realized potential profit - they are trying to figure out if they can cover their "nut".

If those really are their costs and they are realtively fixed, the sky's the limit on upside income potential for themselves. That's what they are hoping for (or banking on?). I agree that they are not going into this to make less money. They are projecting that they are going to make a lot more.

and given how things can go haywire, I'm not sure how they expect some expenses to stay static for every event

What if everyone on this forum who is against this movement emailed copies of both the original G7 powerpoint and this new "World Series of Drum Corps" proposal to every high school band director they knew?

I bet considering the number of posters here, we could cover quite a few band directors. If we could convince them to convince their students wishing to participate in drum corps in the future to look at other corps instead of G7.... maybe we could make a real difference. Any ideas?

exactly. they know going entirely on their own is risking disaster

Not only that but they get things through DCI they cant get on their own. They would also have to pay DCi fees everytime they usee the names: Blue Devils, Cadets, Crown...etc.....DCI owns partial coyright to these names.

DCI also gets steep discounts regarding rights to certain music. An established business, none of these greedy7 have that clout on their own.

G

What if everyone on this forum who is against this movement emailed copies of both the original G7 powerpoint and this new "World Series of Drum Corps" proposal to every high school band director they knew?

I bet considering the number of posters here, we could cover quite a few band directors. If we could convince them to convince their students wishing to participate in drum corps in the future to look at other corps instead of G7.... maybe we could make a real difference. Any ideas?

Not a bad idea. What we all need to do is define whtas wrong with this, have a uniform front and an organized response and be commited. If we do it half/*** then we will be laughed at and ridiculed.

Strength indeed lies in numbers and Im sure they are hopign we will just whine about it here on DCP and let them still do as they wish.

G

It's funny. A while back, I watched the "Brass Roots" video in which the surviving directors who were part of the original group that created DCI held a round-table discussion and talked about their reasons for wanting to form their own administrative structure and competitive system:

1. Creation of standardized rules for all the contests (rather than the conflicting ones that existed at the time between the VFW and American Legion contests), and a truly nationwide/international (at least in the U.S. and Canada) schedule and touring model, à la Troopers, for the season's contests.

2. Others were making money off of the corps, but they weren't getting a dime of it.

3. "We're the act."

Sound familiar?

Now, I can understand and empathize with all three. But it's interesting that they said, simply, that the corps were the act. Now, seven (or six, depending on whom you ask) corps are saying, "We're the act." Subtle, but it's a huge distinction.

very much so.

IMHO Cavaliers speak out of both sides of mouth

maybe some of us talked to other corps besies Cavies

:tongue:

Yes. That is what the proposal says. The G7 corps will still participate in DCI shows in addition to the the G7 shows.

the problem is that when they are at a G7 show, they aren't at a DCI show. It's like joining up with DCI when it is convenient to them, and then when it is convenient to do their own thing, they go and do that.