Isn't It Time.....

....to get along with the younger DC kids and accept what they do as the same as we did? I was reading posts that call us dinosaurs. I think that we could meet in the middle and share our experiences while they share theirs. We are all in this together in some way, right?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:thumbup: to your thoughts Keith.

Personally I don't go to DCI shows because it isn't as entertaining enough to me anymore. BUT.... still wish the best for the members and corps. I'm a firm believer that all three four types of Drum Corps: Jr, All-Age, Alumni and (almost forget) Minis have to be healthy for all to survive. Plus I enjoy reading about the experiences and thoughts from todays members.

But I do call myself a dino as I even have a t-shirt with a Brontosarus (Sinclair Gasoline :lol: )......

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Keith,

I agree w/ getting along with the current DC kids, etc. -- anyone who marched can relate to putting in the effort, the thrill of a good show, etc.

I really think a lot of the angst that is growing regarding 'the activity' is that, even with a lot of the program changes, styles, etc. that have occurred, up until recently it was still "drum corps". Now it seems like it's reached a tipping point where it would be more accurate to call it "Marching Music International"...through no fault of the members...

It's never the fault of the kids. Anyone who would blame the members for shortcomings in a corps is missing the point. I have little or no interest in current show design and even less interest (in fact, it borders on downright hostility) in the direction that DCI seems to be taking, which, if you don't read my other posts, is directly into the gaping maw of Bands of America. While I'm not exactly an advocate of totalwarfare, there is much to disagree on. There is much common ground as well, and it seems to me the common ground is about what the kids get out of it (and what we got out of it)--camaraderie, pride in accomplishment, the opportunity to kick azz and take names, the joy of performing. Where we seem to differ is on the creative side--hating or supporting amps or woodwinds, the pit is too big, judges have legislated all shows into sounding and looking the same, no melody any more, what do you mean, every show is different, there's plenty of melody. And I think dissent is good, as long as it's not JUST name-calling. So I think we all know the best ways to reach out-on the common pursuits, the off-the-field values, which is after all where the majority of the season takes place.

It's never the fault of the kids. Anyone who would blame the members for shortcomings in a corps is missing the point. I have little or no interest in current show design and even less interest (in fact, it borders on downright hostility) in the direction that DCI seems to be taking, which, if you don't read my other posts, is directly into the gaping maw of Bands of America. While I'm not exactly an advocate of totalwarfare, there is much to disagree on. There is much common ground as well, and it seems to me the common ground is about what the kids get out of it (and what we got out of it)--camaraderie, pride in accomplishment, the opportunity to kick azz and take names, the joy of performing. Where we seem to differ is on the creative side--hating or supporting amps or woodwinds, the pit is too big, judges have legislated all shows into sounding and looking the same, no melody any more, what do you mean, every show is different, there's plenty of melody. And I think dissent is good, as long as it's not JUST name-calling. So I think we all know the best ways to reach out-on the common pursuits, the off-the-field values, which is after all where the majority of the season takes place.

Bravo. This is probably the most rational thought on the subject I've read on this forum in awhile.

Nice work son.

Edited by gsksun4

I agree! Did I say that? I think our "accusations" should not be thrown at DCI but maybe at the directors. They are the ones that vote on the things that change drum corps. Maybe a present day designer and/or director can comment on this. It's NOT DCI management per se, it's the directors of the corps...right? We always blame DCI but maybe we should hear from directors. This reminds me of living in Buffalo and listening to the sports talk show and a general manager saying that the listeners don't know the inner workings of the NHL or our team. Maybe we don't know the inner workings of DCI. Let's let them do some "splainin'"

Bravo. This is probably the most rational thought on the subject I've read on this forum in awhile.

Nice work son.

....to get along with the younger DC kids and accept what they do as the same as we did? I was reading posts that call us dinosaurs. I think that we could meet in the middle and share our experiences while they share theirs. We are all in this together in some way, right?

Youre right but as I have said in other posts , Sometimes we think what we did was better and cant be competed with and we hold onto what in actualality we do not own. It's a shame that in many aspects the people who come before us are not respected enough BUT on the other hand it's also a shame that we want to hold onto what WE thought was best and with that we become cut out.

Edited by ereese

Yeah I feel pretty much the same... I've NEVER had a problem with the kids, Hey I admire them, I could never march the shows they do nowadays, on my best day, in my prime... Questioning the individual corps management/leadership, maybe, probably, but the kids, NEVER....

Ed, I liked your original post better. Thanks for reminding me to keep in mind that it's impossible to totally understand any side of an issue of you haven't experienced or at least studied it. I try to remember that myself before I comment of Jr corps (of any era) or corps touring, but I fergit some time. :tongue:

Edit: BOY did I mess my OP up.....

Edited by JimF-LowBari