DCI Allentown Review

Hey, G. Tell me about it! My first show of the season being on 7/30??? That has NEVER happened in 23 years of attending and/or marching in DCI. It was a painful summer filled with 70 hour work weeks. LOL. I didn't even have time to follow DCP much, or even watch the Fan Network. Now I feel so cheated - I get a 15 day DCI Season from Atlanta to Indy. I was so melancholy after Allentwon - like wow, is the season already over? sigh...

At least it's 2010 that I missed a chunk of, instead of a more stellar year like most of the 2003-2008 years!

In terms of reviews - yours was far better - you did a much better job of capturing details to back up your opinions. Thanks for the props, though!

Harvey

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great review!! Very well done, great insight, and, just like with G, I got a great read on how the corps performed, mixed with your personal views. thanks for taking the time.

Harvey,

Excellent. Just excellent. You provided an intelligent, well-written review. Would like more of such. Thanks so much for your passion and investment in this activity. I'm so pleased you see Allentown as a "must see" event. History does matter.

:thumbup:

(G gets it, too!)

Great review and some great observations. And your "dissapointments" are correct.

I also worry when I hear how much electronics are used with the top 3 ranking corps this year (BD, BC, CAVS). If that's what the judges are looking for, I'm scared about what we're going to hear next season.

I do need to say something about Academy's tuning in Allentown. I thought the horn line was very out of tune in some sections, including the horn ensemble and a mellowphone.

Edited by shawn craig

Terrific review! As Fox says "Fair & Balanced". Having said that, I, too, am dismayed at the Judges being "enamored" for the BD show. Aren't Judges supposed to be objective upon entering a competition? Sadly this seems to NOT be the case. If a Judge begins a show already "enamored", how fair can they be? It has been apparent to me from Day 1 of the season, they had already slotted BD #1 in Finals. Don't get me wrong, the Devils have given us some of the most memorable shows in DCI history = but this '10 show is an unmitigated, cacophonous, run-park & blow disaster. First chairs, now mirrors. :thumbup: Give me a break! Compare this mess with Madison, Bluecoats, Crown, Phantom, (and dare I say?) Cavaliers, and you'll see the difference between true Drum Corps & a great Jazz band in motion (barely). Devils remain both one of the greatest Corps ever, as well the MOST overrated ever. To quote Peter Townsend, "...do you see or hear, or DO I BREAK THE MIRROR?" :thumbup:

I agree with nearly all of the review except for a few comments on SCV. You said they were trying too hard for it not to be like last year's show..... but I feel like it is very much like last year's show. The only difference is the source music. In both shows, Key Poulan took great care to stay very faithful to the original compositions and not drum-corps-ize them too much. I love the fact that they don't give you everything all the time. I love that sometimes you expect a big hit or "payoff" moment and instead you get silence, or something soft. It makes the ending that much more impactful, just like last year's ending.

But great review anyway.

Terrific review! As Fox says "Fair & Balanced". Having said that, I, too, am dismayed at the Judges being "enamored" for the BD show. Aren't Judges supposed to be objective upon entering a competition? Sadly this seems to NOT be the case. If a Judge begins a show already "enamored", how fair can they be? It has been apparent to me from Day 1 of the season, they had already slotted BD #1 in Finals. Don't get me wrong, the Devils have given us some of the most memorable shows in DCI history = but this '10 show is an unmitigated, cacophonous, run-park & blow disaster. First chairs, now mirrors. :tongue: Give me a break! Compare this mess with Madison, Bluecoats, Crown, Phantom, (and dare I say?) Cavaliers, and you'll see the difference between true Drum Corps & a great Jazz band in motion (barely). Devils remain both one of the greatest Corps ever, as well the MOST overrated ever. To quote Peter Townsend, "...do you see or hear, or DO I BREAK THE MIRROR?" :mat:

Grow up.

Grow up.

methinks you have the growing to do. This person gave some thought to their response...maybe you should too.....

methinks you have the growing to do. This person gave some thought to their response...maybe you should too.....

ZING!!!!

Great point there. This entire summer has been people fighting each other over opinions, and so many times we'll see one response that has been cleverly constructed, well thought out, and fully reasoned, and then the response will be some stupid one-liner or an immature quip like above. I think that people need to learn that we all have opinions, they're all different, and that's a good thing. Not everyone will enjoy every show, we all have our own tastes and opinions, and that's what special about Drum Corps. You don't like one show, hey look, you have 22 others to watch. If people would stop getting so defensive because someone doesn't like your show and realize that they like a different show more, I think we'd see an end to so many trolls and arguments on here. And I'd also like to see an end to the super-honks. You all know the ones I'm talking about. The ones who praise their corps to the extent that they're the greatest thing since sliced bread, and you'd actually think they're members of the corps, which would cause tons of overage DQs.... Just a thought. I know it's wishful thinking, but it's a nice wish. More balanced viewpoints would make this world nicer.

Philosophy rant over. Back to your regularly scheduled programming.