DCI Allentown Review

It feels so strange to write my first review of the year this late in the season! After many years of being able to enjoy 6-7 shows over the course of the season, I took a new job in Seattle this year and was not able to catch any shows this year until Atlanta & Allentown. It's quite a different perspective to only first see the shows as they are nearing a finished project, and I really missed the experience this year of seeing the straw models of early shows and how they progress through the season.

I'll focus on Allentown, since that is fresh and not as out of date, with my thoughts. Overall, I have to say that after some very fan-friendly entertainment years from 2003-2008, I really feel like 2010 continued and accelerated a step backwards with entertainment. There are certainly some shows that stand out this year to me, which I'll detail below (Blue Knights, Blue Stars, Boston, Madison, Phantom and the Academy have stood out after 2 viewings), but just like last year the "middle pack" of the top 12 corps seem far more entertaining to me, and elicit stronger audience responses than do the top 1/3 of the current corps – just like last year, really. The worrisome piece in that is there seems to be a growing disconnect emerging in what the judges are rewarding for general effect and what is connecting with the audience. Corps making the heaviest use of electronics – and the annoying use of synths to augment or even replace the tuba line in parts of shows is also seemingly getting rewarded (Blue Devils & Bluecoats are good examples of one or the other of those uses).

By corps:

Pioneer – it is so refereshing to see Pioneer leave the Irish genre behind! Their gospel-tinged show is accessible and entertaining. The overall product is the best I've seen from Pioneer in several years, and congrats to the kids and the staff for that progress! It's also nice to see a corps that seems to actively continue to recruit minority youths into the corps. The likely placement may not seem like progress, but the whole bar has been rising so much for the non-semifinalist pack!

Cascades – ditto the comments on Pioneer above. There are some nice musical moments presented by an obviously young Cascades crew. It's great to see them back, and I hope this is a solid foundation for the future. My only real complaint is that the few props seem to detract rather than add to the show.

Jersey Surf – After really enjoying Surf's Mozart program last year, I have to say I feel like the corps took a step back in both program quality and in execution this year. Perhaps they are younger this year? The Americana show seems overly-arranged, and not very fresh. I hope to see something more original from Surf in the future that is closer to their roots. Another lower-tier corps that used a few props that really added nothing to the show.

Teal Sound – Wow! I have to say I was blown away by Teal Sound as a first year World Class corps. Their hornline was relatively large, and they can put out some powerful, quality sounds. This show is at it's best when they unleash that sound, and at it's least effective when relying on the pit & the electric guitar to carry more of the load. What a bright future this corps appears to have, though, and what an impressive start to their time as a World Class Corps (which will hopefully be a LONG time)! The color guard also seemed quite solid in execution, though the difficulty was certainly less than some other corps around them.

Mandarins – This spunky, smaller corps seems to hit a home run with me far more often than not. This is another year where I feel like Mandarins found a terrific program that suites their character, harks to their Asian roots, and yet is fresh and entertaining. The music is top notch in several places, and the beautiful "Indian" section of the show, with the gorgeous rainbow-pallette of double flags is beautiful. By far the most entertaining of the corps that will be hard pressed to make Semi-Finals, folks!

Pacific Crest – I have to say this might be the best PC corps since 2003 when they broke into SemiFinals in their first appearance in Orlando. The drill is more complex and effective than past PC offerings, and there is a crispness of execution visually in several places this year that they have not achieved before. The opener is particularly effective, both in music, drill and guard. There are times where PC continues to have some of the least accessible music charts on the field, however, and consistency throughout the show to connect with me as an audience member just isn't quite what I'd hope to see for a corps to make Semifinals.

Crossmen – My 2nd corps so far that is a disappointing to me in 2010. After the great momentum the corps seem to have seized in 2008, and a really ambitious and effective show in 2009 that wasn't executed well enough to challenge for finals, 2010 seems to be like a large step back. As has often been the case in recent years with Crossmen, one of the biggest challenges in my opinion is the terrible music arrangements the kids are being given to play. It's time for Crossmen to go in a new direction with music arrangements. You can't build a show around classics of the past and avoid continuity of melody that make the results a pale comparison to shows of the past. Between the corps drab uniform and the lacking color scheme through much (not all) of the show with the guard, there just isn't much left to resonate in the stands. It's sad to compare this product to the late 90s verion of First Circle. I hope Crossmen find a way back to that level of excellence and entertainment – it should start with good music.

Spirit – It's great to see this corps surviving and even improving after their departure from the JSU umbrella. Their Icon show is effective, and a far more entertaining product than their 2008 and 2009 offerings. At the same time, this is another corps that I really wish would find more accessible music to bring to the field. If you compare Spirit's efforts to reconnect with their Icon status or roots to what Madison did this year, it feels like Madison took the right approach, with relatively straight-forward arrangements that are true to their storied past and connect with the audience. On a positive note, the level of marching technique, execution, and color guard performance are all nice steps forward for Spirit. The most I've enjoyed this corps in several years!

The Academy – I just fell in love with Academy last year & what a difference Klesch's arrangements have made for this corps. This is the 2nd year in a row now that Academy has brought a really nice music book to the field, with a top-12 quality hornline that is really performing well. Just like last year, they may end up just short of finals, as the 10-12th spots in finals may be the best we've ever seen, but this corps has seized on a great formula with rich, romantic classical music, and they sell it well.

Troopers – I was so excited to see how Troopers are moving on after last year's stellar show. I have to say they are probably disappointment #3 for me this summer. It's not the kids. I think they are actually more talented than last year, put out more sound and are marching very well. The product, however – and mostly the music book is a big step back from last year in terms of a book that communicates well to the audience and flows well from segment to segment. I feel like this corps really missed the mark with their new uniforms, as well. They really lack any color or character. On the other hand, it is very exciting to see Troopers field another strongly competitive corps this summer and I hope to see them back among the top 12 soon – just remember to keep entertaining us, Troop!

Colts – Wow, I hope I'm not sounding too negative, but this corps is another disappointment to me this summer. Again, it's not the kids, who perform well the show they've been given. After three straight years of very effective programs – and particularly music books – this show just doesn't sell as well. There aren't the emotional "hooks" we've seen from Colts the past few years,and the show feels like a "paint by numbers" (pun kind of intended) production. Colts seem like they are at their best when they weave in some Broadway, Americana, or some nice dark classical music. I just didn't connect with this show. I miss the red plumes, too! I do love the fact that the Colts hornline continues to open up & let the audience have it with some great volume.

Glassmen – Yet another corps that I feel like is sliding backwards after becoming what I felt was a much more entertaining and effective corps from 2005-2008. After 2 viewings this is perhaps the least memorable program of the season. Don't get me wrong – Glassmen are talented! The quality of the hornline might be the best G-men have had since the early part of the decade, in fact. I know it's an over-used cliché with them, but the show just tends to be too sterile and boring for my taste. And it's hard to get past the atrocious guard outfits that only Glassmen seem to easily put their guys into (the opening costume for the guard).

Madison Scouts – Thank you, thank you, thank you Jim Mason and team for pumping new life into this storied corps! What a great way to reconnect the corps to its past and it's fans – truly a homerun. This is without a doubt the most improved corps of 2010, compared to 2009. The show is retro in some ways, but still fresh and the music arrangements are tasty and exciting. You know Madison is on the come back trail when the audience starts groaning at their scoring and placement again! At Allentown, it felt like from the upper stands that Madison and Blue Knights connected with the crowd and elicited enthusiastic responses that very few other corps come close to this year. Go Scouts! One quibble – with 20 tubas, do you really need to augment them with the low end of the synthesizers so much? Yuck!

Blue Knights – I know it is hard for many to believe, but wow, did the Denver crew ever hit a home run for an effective, accessible, entertaining show! This show is brimming with great music, and very solid drill and visual staging, and a wonderful guard program with effective costumes and great silks. Their Enigma ballad is one of the true highlights of the season, and to me a far superior arrangement than the minimalist approach taken by Carolina Crown this summer. Blue Knights are not to be missed, folks! What an incredible testament it is to the quality of the lower ½ of top 12 that this show could finish in 11th or 12th! One of my must-see corps of 2010.

Boston Crusaders – This is another corps that seems to have carried forward success from recent years, with an entertaining show and to make it better, they are repeating last year's step up in execution. Boston has a very solid product that that they are performing very well. I could see this corps likely finishing 9th, but the margin is so thin from 9th to 6th that anything could happen this week! My only real complaint with this show is that the "throne" on the field is far too big, and a bit cheesy. The performers really get lost from higher in the stands when they are on the chair.

Blue Stars – What a dark, exciting and powerful show Blue Stars have pulled off! This corps has really hit their stride in the past 5 years with accessible, entertaining shows that feature strong horn lines playing great music, with a very effective color guard that communicates the show themes well and gives us nice innovative moments. The opening sequence in the straight-jackets is a great touch, and there are many, many others in the show. The horn line may not be squeaky clean from an ensemble perspective, but they are dark & powerful & a treat to listen to. By far the most exciting show on the field on Friday in Allentown, in my opinion. My big complaint with Blue Stars? More than most corps, they really, really go overboard with the synths covering the low brass line. It's completely un-necessary and distracting when they are fielding such a fine contra line.

Santa Clara Vanguard – Far and away my biggest disappointment of the season is SCV. As with other corps above, it is NOT the kids. They are clearly talented and are achieving a high degree of demand musically and visually. There are also some terrific visual moments in the show – highlighted by the great collapsing drill segment, which is one of the very few exciting moments in their show. The music arrangements are the achillees heel with SCV. The show really suffers in comparison to the great arrangements that Star (93) and Phantom (01) did of these Bartok pieces. At almost every point you would expect from those shows to hear and feel an impact point, SCV does the opposite and gives you NOTHING. It's too bad – as this is clearly a good hornline with excellent training. It's like the corps tried so hard to not be like last year, or like the previous versions of these pieces to hit the field that they simply undid everything that sells a program musically to many in the audience. I will say I enjoyed the show more upon 2nd viewing in Allentown, but wow, not even in the top ½ of the corps this year in terms of entertainment or enjoyment to me – which is extremely rare to me for SCV.

Phantom Regiment – After last year's disaster of a program, and the placements this season for my beloved Regiment (yes, I'm biased) I was braced for the worst when I finally got to see them this year. I have to say I was blown away! This is just a simply beautiful show. The music arrangements are terrific – particularly in the opener and the closer, and the drill may lack in field coverage (it's very dense) but it's such a step up in visual design. Rosander could be a great fit for Rockford. I also thought the guard – particularly on silks – was far stronger than I was expecting. I heard many people talk in Allentown after scores on Saturday that they though Regiment's placement was right but that they should be much closer to Crown & Cadets – I have to agree. They are again top 3 caliber in all music captions. And I simply do not understand their low Music GE scores. Perhaps it's the corps refusal to layer in large helpings of electronics? I hope that's not the case. At any event, keep pushing, Regiment! I'm quite sure their Saturday night performance in Indy is going to be unforgettably emotional, given this product. Their music, along with Blue Knights "Enigma", is still stuck in my head 3 days later.

Cadets – While the schmaltziness of the main character is very distracting to me, this is a show from Cadets that I really, really enjoy! Solid music, great drill and increasingly strong performance levels highlight the show. The new guard uniforms in Allentown are SO much more effective, and help the guard to stand out from the corps. This show may have some real legs left in it in Indy – and I fully expect they may push Crown down to 5th in Indy. Thank you, Cadets, for entertaining us, and continuing to distance yourselves from the narration-heavy shows of 2006-2008!

Carolina Crown – this has been one of my top 3 favorite corps every year from 2003-2009. Unfortunately, I don't think I can say that this year. This show, to me, is their least effective and accessible since they came out in the cream uniforms in 2003. Why deviate from such a wonderful formula of creative, innovate shows filled with great, accessible music? This show seems to be trying just a bit to hard to be "serious" and the net result is a step back in the quality of the overall program. I also really am having a hard time getting over the corps uniform. I really don't like it, and apart from the neat 50-yard line set where they imitate a piano keyboard are not that visually effective. Most movements or effect highlights with the arms just aren't visible. Musically, while the corps sounds rich, they also are lacking just enough edge to be as exciting as they have been the past several years. I don't care for the gold horns either. I do love the nice twist to the end of the show they added in Allentown to connect the show to last year's ending, and even have a great set of ending silks that transition from the browns to last year's green. Nice touch. Still a very top-notch product and more entertaining than most, but 2010 is far from one of my favorite Crown shows.

Cavaliers – Yeah! If I was worried about where Cavaliers would go after all their staff changes, I am not any more! Cavaliers have a dark and exciting show, with some very nice effects and intensity. They've also cranked up the volume, which I really appreciate. It's odd for me to say, but I think the show actually bothers me a bit for how much it seems to glorify violence (though I get it – the theme is a Mad World) – and if you know me, you'd know how unlike me that is to say. If Rosie hated the Cadets using Rifles, imagine what she'd say about this show! LOL. This is, however, a very good show that still has room to grow. From up high there are many points with uncharacteristic visual dirt remaining in forms that tell me Cavies could still be a dark horse in Indy and may very likely pass Bluecoats at the least.

Bluecoats – without question the best Bluecoats corps ever. The quality level and talent of the members is fantastic. The show is dark and powerful, but also not the most memorable however. I really, really hate the fact that they mic brass sololists (though I get that they are going for a very electronics influenced show) – you just don't need to do that! DCI is littered with stellar solos over the years that you never failed to hear, and the un-mic'd sound quality of the brass instruments is just warmer & richer. Along with Blue Devils, Bluecoats show goes too far for me with inclusion of electronics & sound effects – but I'll take it over narration any day! Something just seems to be missing from this show, though, that would allow it to take home a ring. Is it heart, perhaps?

Blue Devils – and now to my final disappointment of the year. Visually, this corps is very interesting, and the mirrors at times create some awesome effects (though at other times they are distracting). And no one performs like BD (especially their guard) – no one. Musically, however, wow, is this show hard to listen to. There is very little continuity of thought. The last few minutes of the show are perhaps the worst and seem to just drag on FOREVER. And surprisingly, more than any other corps, BD is going way overboard on using the bass end of the synths. At times that fabulous contra line isn't even playing while the Synth IS playing a bass melody and the rest of the brass line is playing. I have loved many of BD's music books of the last decade (2000, 2003, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2008), but this might be my least favorite BD music book ever. If this wasn't the last corps to perform, I just might take a break when BD performs – and I have rarely EVER said that in 20+ years of performing in or attending shows. The fact that the judging community is so enamored with this show is down-right alarming to me for the future of the activity.

Well, there you have it – my long-winded take on the shows as the season is almost over. I'll beg forgiveness to anyone I've offended – these are just my opinions and feelings. Some of which are likely to change after Finals this weekend!

So far, though, I have to ask what Cesario was smoking when he called 2010 the year of the fan?!? 2010 is a pale comparison to more entertaining years in the last decade like 2000, 2003, 2004, 2006, 2007 and 2008. Far too many corps went dark and esoteric in the same season. It feels like we have un-learned the lessons of the mid 90s, sadly. Hopefully 2011 will mark a new turning point!

Harvey

Edited by TexasPRfan

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent review Harvey. I don't agree with everything you had to say, particularly regarding the Bluecoats and your aversion to electronic generally, but as always it was a pleasure to read. Thank you!

Awesome review, though I would disagree slightly on the sound of mic'ed brass instruments. While I'm not saying whether I like or dislike them, "warm" and "rich" are probably two words that would come to my mind to describe Blue Devils' baritone solo last year.

Thanks, Matt. It would be boring world if we all agreed! There were actually some great touches with electronics in Bluecoats show - I just hate the mic'd solos, and the places where corps are going overboard overlaying the tuba line with synth. Of all the corps using electronics ACTIVELY, I think Bluecoats are doing it the best, if use it they must.

Harvey

Agreed that the BD baritone soloist is terrific. i just can't stand the thought of needing soloists mic'd in drum corps, that's all. It doesn't feel authentic to me. To each their own, I suppose.

Harvey

Blue Devils – and now to my final disappointment of the year. The fact that the judging community is so enamored with this show is down-right alarming to me for the future of the activity.

OMG... you sum it up quite well in your last sentence. I can not wait to hear the crowds reaction in INDY when the scores are read if BD wins with such a crazy high scrore.