Wouldn't DCI be better to switch the

Although this doesn't affect me personally, something I have wondered about is why DCI only shows the top 15 from quarterfinals in the theatres. I really feel bad for corps like Pioneer, Cascades, Mandarins, Pacific Crest, Jersey Surf, Spirit, and Crossmen who aren't going to be seen in the theatres. You would think DCI would want to promote everyone. If you are only going to show some of the corps in theatres, wouldn't it make more sense to do a webcast of the entire quarterfinals, and then do a theatre broadcast of semi finals? That way every corps would get a chance to be seen? I am really glad we will be at the shows this weekend.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I never thought of this, and completely agree that it would be a way better idea. However, I've been told the whole reason it's quarters is because movie theaters don't want to have to use up a theater for drum corps on a Friday or Saturday night.

... because movie theaters don't want to have to use up a theater for drum corps on a Friday or Saturday night.

That's probably the biggest reason right there.

I've never been to one of the Quarterfinals showings in the theatres, but I'd love to be able to try to convince a local theatre into showing it next year ... any suggestions? Does DCI put out numbers afterwards? Is it only certains "chains" of theatres?

Thanks for any help ...

I'll be honest, I do agree that it might make more sense for DCI to have a webcast on Thursday, then do the Cinema show on Friday for Semi-Finals. However, I actually think DCI could make a killing by offering a Cinema broadcast for DCI Finals.

But Semi-Finals would make sense to me as well.

That's probably the biggest reason right there.

I've never been to one of the Quarterfinals showings in the theatres, but I'd love to be able to try to convince a local theatre into showing it next year ... any suggestions? Does DCI put out numbers afterwards? Is it only certains "chains" of theatres?

Thanks for any help ...

The theater would need to be one of the National Cinemedia Fathom Events theaters. Here's a link to the theaters showing the event. Put in your zip code in the upper right box to find the theater closest to you.

Edited by Michael Boo

Score creep notwithstanding, most corps do as good a show Thursday as they do Friday or Saturday. The real problem to me with cinecasting quarterfinals rather than semis or finals is that the stadium audience is relatively small and quiet. Drum corps fans understand that the joint will be rocking Saturday night, but band fans seeing mostly empty seats may not get that. It doesn't put DCI in its best light.

But remember, new films come out on Friday and need to sell well Friday and Saturday to do well, so theaters, ever optimistic, expect peak movie attendance on Fridays and Saturdays. And DCI has said that's the reason they cinecast quarters and not finals or semis. Theaters will give them a slow August Thursday night, but resist booking DCI for Friday and Saturday. Some theaters sell lots of tickets for these events; others do not.

As to why DCI doesn't show everybody on Thursday, the stadium audience (and judges) need a longer (45 minute) dinner INT break at some point during quarterfinals. The concessions can't get everyone fed in the shorter 17-minute intermission-. DCI needs to pay for the satellite uplink time for the length of the show even if no one is performing, and go figure, as much I love 'em, a 45-minute performance by INT does not draw in crowds at the theaters. People come later. Costs to DCI are higher. Theater revenues are not higher. DCI says, "Let's just go with a smaller group of corps." Makes sense to me.

As to why DCI doesn't show everybody on Thursday, the stadium audience (and judges) need a longer (45 minute) dinner INT break at some point during quarterfinals. The concessions can't get everyone fed in the shorter 17-minute intermission-. DCI needs to pay for the satellite uplink time for the length of the show even if no one is performing, and go figure, as much I love 'em, a 45-minute performance by INT does not draw in crowds at the theaters. People come later. Costs to DCI are higher. Theater revenues are not higher. DCI says, "Let's just go with a smaller group of corps." Makes sense to me.

This makes sense, but I wonder if DCI could use that 45 minutes to show something else in the theater. They could go the route of the classic countdown and show 2-3 shows from the past during that break. They could justify charging a higher price for showing all the corps plus the bonus historical performances.