End of the season thought on Crown

I'm wondering what happened to people just watching and enjoying a show. Why does everything have to have a "story" now? They play great music, do great drill and visuals, and other stuff I can't think of because I'm packing for Indy.

Exactly. Half the time these 'themes' that corps put on are so convoluted, you cant even follow them without multiple viewings, reading a description on their website, or listening to a designer commentary. For every PR08 that it works amazingly for, there are 10 shows that it absolutely does nothing for most fans.

So i say... #### themes. Play some good music, march some good drill, and execute both extremely well.

I'm wondering what happened to people just watching and enjoying a show. Why does everything have to have a "story" now? They play great music, do great drill and visuals, and other stuff I can't think of because I'm packing for Indy.

A show can be great without a story but if you are presenting a story, it needs to be cohesive.

I also think you are mistaking the criticism as, "the show is bad" rather than it doesn't have championship potential. I "think" most of the critics in this thread probably like the show. I like the show a LOT but I agree with several of the comments on here about what it lacks to reach GOLD.

The Crown did make me frown but the Scouts turned that frown upside down.

I love Crown's show this year. I love the music and I also enjoyed the visual performance.

I know there needs to be a "theme for the judges" these days, but the theme isn't all that important for me to enjoy the show.

Well when you put out a theme, you gotta expect people to be critical about it when it makes no sense, don't you think?

You are acting like their performance levels have dropped since the beginning of the season.

They have only gotten better, and have simply added a layer of "theme" on top of their beautiful musical and visual program.

If you did not know the theme, would you even notice what the guard are doing?... I know I wouldn't. It baffles me that some people watch a drum corps show and spend the whole time trying to figure out what's going on instead of actually enjoying amazing spectacle of the performance.

Kinda like how people have been with the Blue Devils all season right? Riiiiiiiiiight. :tongue:

Kinda like how people have been with the Blue Devils all season right? Riiiiiiiiiight. :tongue:

Zing! :mat:

I enjoyed seeing Crown's show this year, and I like the changes to the ending they made recently. They have an amazing hornline, play good music and have a very strong visual program. I do think their percussion has not reached the level they got to last year, however, from what I hear and see they have been plagued with injuries in the battery. They started the year with 9 snares I believe and are finishing the year wth 7. Their percussion is very good, but those setbacks may have hurt them in the race.

My one criticism of Crown is that the show's are so deep. It's one thing to have a solid developed theme, but I don't think anyone really understands their shows the last few years without analyzing them over and over.

The beginning and ending of their show last year was one of my favorite drum corps moments....all time. I don't see what it had to do with the Grass being any Greener (although I'm sure there's some deep meaning behind every step and dot). Sometimes its ok to just have some awesome moments that are not a Thesis on theme.

Marc

......hmmm

I respect your opinion but, i just don't agree

I Enjoyed there show, and I don't have to have a "story" to listen to crown's horn line or watch their show (which I think is one of the best they have ever fielded). I also love the new ending and think it works really really well. Call me a homer or fan boy. I find the show to be amazing and Really really well done.

I Think its a championship caliber show