Semi Finals Open Thread

Personally, I would consider myself an uber movie fan. I absolutely love Kubrick's work, and while Full Metal Jacket is ALMOST a great movie, the film

The Cavies' rousing military exercise is a lively tangent, but doesn't really fit the theme of madness in the section which starts with the Full Metal jacket audio clip, (which is Kubrick's scathing indictment of the military and war propaganda).

This is a flagrant thematic mistake, but the audience coudn't care less.

BILL

Very good. Glad I could help. If you would like an explanation for Crown too, I think I posted one last night in the quarterfinals thread, if you want it, I think I can find it and post it for you.

Hell after that post about Cavies, I'd love to read your synopsis of Crown's show.

Joe -- pretty simple isn't it?? Then again, maybe not for some of today's judges!

But judges don't really think that way. Looking at the recap, second place Cavaliers guard scored a 19.8, getting 9.9's in both classes. If Blue Devils are better than Cavaliers in both captions (spoiler: they were), then the only sub-caption scores the judge can give are perfect 20's in both classes. I'm with you that it's hard to look at a perfect score in any caption when there is even the tiniest amount of dirt in the performance. But in practice (especially at larger shows), once you get going rating corps it's not too hard to back yourself in a corner where you'll be "forced" to give a perfect score. Numbers really aren't all that important (except for bragging rights): what is of the utmost importance is the spread. And with tonight's perfect 20 the judge got it right saying Devs were better than Cavaliers guard by .1 in both captions, and Cavaliers were better than Bluecoats. Look at the spreads in the sub captions:

In Cont. there is a spread of .1 between nearly every corps at Semi's from 15th place Troopers on up (with the exception of .2 between Cadets & SCV & Crossmen + Troopers). There are similar results in the Achiv. caption. At that rate, once you get near the top there isn't a ton of wiggle room and a 20 is almost inevitable.

Hell after that post about Cavies, I'd love to read your synopsis of Crown's show.

Haha, okay. Here it is. Hope this one makes sense too. It made sense to me.

I finally understand Crown's show. It took a lot of viewings, but in just watching the guard, I get it now. It's not about a second chance at winning at all, if you really watch it and pay attention, you will see that (I know this will sound corny), but it's more about a second chance at love. If you know the back-story to last year's ending, Peter runs back to his own life, having to leave Tinkerbell behind in the fantasy world. Now fast forward to this show. Same character as before, and at the beginning of the show, with the Mahler, it's the fight between the two lovers, namely as we see the female lead tempted by the second male lead. ending with the first male lead striking down the female lead. Transition into the next part and Danzon, and it's her search for new love. Go to Nimrod, and she's found a new love, but still is conflicted about her old love. Enter again the Mahler Resurrection, and it's the fight between her two potential new lovers. We reach the first ending, and she chooses wrong, going back to her old love. The show rewinds, and she goes to the other love, with the Promise of Living playing signaling her right choice. But the real twist is that Promise of Living also signals Peter returning to claim his love, and the two go off into their own world. See, it makes sense now?

Haha, okay. Here it is. Hope this one makes sense too. It made sense to me.

I finally understand Crown's show. It took a lot of viewings, but in just watching the guard, I get it now. It's not about a second chance at winning at all, if you really watch it and pay attention, you will see that (I know this will sound corny), but it's more about a second chance at love. If you know the back-story to last year's ending, Peter runs back to his own life, having to leave Tinkerbell behind in the fantasy world. Now fast forward to this show. Same character as before, and at the beginning of the show, with the Mahler, it's the fight between the two lovers, namely as we see the female lead tempted by the second male lead. ending with the first male lead striking down the female lead. Transition into the next part and Danzon, and it's her search for new love. Go to Nimrod, and she's found a new love, but still is conflicted about her old love. Enter again the Mahler Resurrection, and it's the fight between her two potential new lovers. We reach the first ending, and she chooses wrong, going back to her old love. The show rewinds, and she goes to the other love, with the Promise of Living playing signaling her right choice. But the real twist is that Promise of Living also signals Peter returning to claim his love, and the two go off into their own world. See, it makes sense now?

AAAAAAHHHHH - HAAAAAAA!!

Got it. It does make sense. :lookaround:

They might argue it, but they'd be wrong. :lookaround:

88 had some major problems (87 had a few too, but they were well concealed). There's a youtube video of 88 going around that is just cringeworthy (and I'm pretty sure it's finals week if not finals night)...dirt for days. The comments are pretty hilarious too, all kinds of "OMG, this is the most amazing drumline EVER!" "so incredible!").

Not for nothin, but to be honest I'd say neither 87 OR 88 holds a candle to many others, including you guys in 93 which WAS pretty darned clean.

Anyway, you're right. Teddy definitely wasn't forced to give em that score, he WANTED to. :laughing:

Oh, here's the 88 vid...found it.

For the record, I'm far from a Cadets basher, I LOVED their lines in 85, 86, and 89 from that era and think all of them were superior to the two everyone remembers (why they didn't win drums in 89 is beyond my comprehension).

I heard some wide drags at 1:50 .. and a rough accel at 4 mins. This video is from a camcorder made over 24 years ago ........ they're playing on mylar heads in the snares which have a wider note width than kevlar or whatever is being played on now ......every comment on that link you posted is superbly positive ....... I thought they were one of the top 2 lines in 1988 and I was only 17 at the time ......... I still think they were one of the top lines in 88 and just as good as 87 ( but I thought 87 was written in a way that blended with Appalachian Spring in a way that 88 just couldn't do (it was totally different music).

Based on the equipment they're playing on, the heads, the style of writing, the expression, the quality of sound on the buzz patterns, the clarity of exposed rimshots and the fact that they played through the head (which you can't do anymore) .......... this was and always will be a great line. I'm definitely NOT going to judge it based on THAT video!

Btw, I miss the Hannum right arm snare look ... the high elbow made the playing angle pretty difficult, but it was a unique look for them. It SCREAMED Garfield!

Edited by supersop

AAAAAAHHHHH - HAAAAAAA!!

Got it. It does make sense. :lookaround:

Cool. Glad it makes sense to someone else. I've been watching these shows develop all season, and it really did take this long for them to really lock in. I've done one per night, maybe I'll do a super-detailed synopsis of Cadets or Phantom tomorrow night. Any one have any suggestions?

...just a comment about Star...wow :lookaround: . If SCV had done *that* Bartok they'd be knocking on der door! Hey, does anyone know if Star was playing G horns? Couldn't see well enough on the TV, with all the historical production the live corps performance was almost background music...while I'm into the sentiment of it all and appreciate the historical display, I woulda liked to have been a little closer to those people sweatin' and performin'!

cg