Star of Indiana--how did they do?

Ok, I've now watched all the bootleg clips I could find. Someone said a DVD is being made of the rehearsals/performance, right?

THE SOUND THE SOUND THE SOUND! was back!!! Man did that bring back memories. Nothing else like it. Also, so have those flags/props been stored for all these years? I can't imagine that they were reproduced for this - the pink star flags from the 80's, the pine tree ones, giant cross, and gold coins from '91, the Amber Waves red/white/blue doubles and the Medea red/vein silks. Plus a lot of the original guard work. What a treat!

I sent the clips to a friend of mine who replied, "I'm still proud I wore their shirt in Madison." I had completely forgotten that it wasn't just the corps, but their fans as well who got abuse. People used to give us dirty looks or mutter stuff, which of course made me wear the shirts/pins more often. So ridiculous.

On another note, how musically musical is that music?! :thumbup: I'm generally not one to long for the "good old days," but you really notice the contrast between how engaging/emotional these pieces are as compared to what many corps play today. Even the simpler guard work seems to fit the phrases better and be really effective. Maybe today's arrangers and designers will notice this as well and start to put a bit more of that feel into their productions.

That still gives me goose bumps SCV and 27th appearence..Star was good...just not the same..maybe because of less history...jmo

I just looked on the home page, the DVD is no longer available. Here's a

, I believe it's Friday evening before PP. At 8:22, Scott Pierson, conductor/arranger included "Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again" as a special remembrance of GR.

To answer the question of the Blast performers.... there was not anyone, that I am aware of in the hornline, this weekend that was only a Blast member. The Blast members that were in the hornline were also members that performed during our DCI competitive days.

Guard member here...questions on original equip/flags/work...

Since there was no drill, as original as we could some work just couldn't be redone

Wish- not orginal work...I would never have asked a horn player to lift me onto their shoulder :)! Work written by Jeff Wroblewski, Instructor 87-92

Praise Ye- If you have seen live/video they wore capes, Alumni performed a small dance feature written by one of the two very talented ladies from Brass Theater, Friday evening was their first drum corps performance! (yay Kelli C)

Roman Suite....Yes Pines flag was original with the additional of new as we were larger than the gaurd at the time, flag work was a combination of new and old...new written by a field member alum of that yr(yay Laura C). Coins work was new (Melissa J & Melissa S)

Early yrs...86 originalwith one tiny change, 87 ballad, new, 88 new and old, new replaced big PVC pole flags, old was the end but was actually the opening fanfare(yay Lori V & Laura E)

Dargason- Jig was original with 2 feet step changes

Amber Waves...Front dance ensemble..new written by the second of the Brass Theater ladies mentioned above(yay Susie H) , swing flags original work,

Medea... the first section was originally done with a black flag, the last flag section was the original design but handpainted new flags, work was as close to original as it could be, mainly an arm or hand change or changing something that was whippin fast 1 count move to a 2 count move :)....sticks yes original work, sabre work was new(yay Kelli C)

The pink star flag was not an original flag I believe but designed to mimmick the original uniform top and t-shirts

The huge cross flags are original

Whew...I think I got it covered! I was honored to have been apart of something from every year... Mickey to Medea!!!!! :thumbup:

Edited by Joelle

Thank you Star Alumni...I have one word for their semi performance...Medea!!!! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

It was also sweet to hear Star United play the National Anthem to start the evening off.

Just as an aside, for those that missed the Kickoff Party Wednesday night at the Crowne Plaza, after Star Alumni's performance there, I'm not sure the roof settled back in proper position! Awesome performance!

THANK YOU Star, for the memories and I look forward to seeing Star United in Rochester.

Guard member here...questions on original equip/flags/work...

Since there was no drill, as original as we could some work just couldn't be redone

Wish- not orginal work...I would never have asked a horn player to lift me onto their shoulder :)! Work written by Jeff Wroblewski, Instructor 87-92

Praise Ye- If you have seen live/video they wore capes, Alumni performed a small dance feature written by one of the two very talented ladies from Brass Theater, Friday evening was their first drum corps performance! (yay Kelli C)

Roman Suite....Yes Pines flag was original with the additional of new as we were larger than the gaurd at the time, flag work was a combination of new and old...new written by a field member alum of that yr(yay Laura C). Coins work was new (Melissa J & Melissa S)

Early yrs...86 originalwith one tiny change, 87 ballad, new, 88 new and old, new replaced big PVC pole flags, old was the end but was actually the opening fanfare(yay Lori V & Laura E)

Dargason- Jig was original with 2 feet step changes

Amber Waves...Front dance ensemble..new written by the second of the Brass Theater ladies mentioned above(yay Susie H) , swing flags original work,

Medea... the first section was originally done with a black flag, the last flag section was the original design but handpainted new flags, work was as close to original as it could be, mainly an arm or hand change or changing something that was whippin fast 1 count move to a 2 count move :)....sticks yes original work, sabre work was new(yay Kelli C)

The pink star flag was not an original flag I believe but designed to mimmick the original uniform top and t-shirts

The huge cross flags are original

Whew...I think I got it covered! I was honored to have been apart of something from every year... Mickey to Medea!!!!! :thumbup:

I was REALLY impressed with what you guys did with the guard - I really wasn't expecting it to be so good - or to have so much of the original work in. I really appreciated the fact that you didn't "dumb down" the work either - wow!

Later,

Mike

Thanks so much for the insight into this. It was really a treat and full of fun surprises that showcased all the effort you put in. I did notice one particular part in Medea that was 2-count instead of 1-count - the big side-to-side whipping extension things. I thought to myself, "yeah, I wouldn't want to do that at full speed in my 40's either." LOL

Thank you Star Alumni...I have one word for their semi performance...Medea!!!! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

It was also sweet to hear Star United play the National Anthem to start the evening off.

Just as an aside, for those that missed the Kickoff Party Wednesday night at the Crowne Plaza, after Star Alumni's performance there, I'm not sure the roof settled back in proper position! Awesome performance!

THANK YOU Star, for the memories and I look forward to seeing Star United in Rochester.

Nothing "Grumpy" about this post. :thumbup:

Thank you for the kind words - it was a joy to play for you. Please stop by and say 'hello' in Rochester.

As a "mid forties" Guy who should have joined Star in 85,86 but for the $ and transportation issue, I loved their performance. I wanted to see them so badly I switched my finals tix for semi's, just to hear that hornline again. I'm thoroughly disappointed in some of the corps productions nowadays (BD) that I was craving that old quality sound and definitely was not disappointed! Star was very much booed back then, I remember seeing and hearing it and being angry and even then worried that they'd leave the activity with the level of disdain they received. It was a real treat and a ton of nostalgia and remembering my own youth and seeing those shows in person and being brought back to that time and place. It affected me more than I thought it would. The length of the ovation and its intensity definitely suggests Star is missed.

As for booing, it's wrong. I do vote with my feet, though and sadly the Devils will not be drawing me to a show anytime soon. I used to love them but their shows are so completely unmelodic, unmusical anymore as to be not enjoyable. They're just a chaotic mess with no musical form or continuity. The kids have great talent but sadly the show design resembles a insane asylum with few musical parts but much unmelodic mayhem.