Star of Indiana--how did they do?

We watched them in the lot last night. I have to admit to being a bit teary eyed myself. Lots of familiar faces in the corps and on "Staff" made it a good time. Talbott and Chromick side by side to boot. I think I saw an old Blue Devil baritone in there as well.

Great stuff!

Suncoast in 2012! Take me to the beach!

MIKE

Here are few thoughts I posted after watching the semi-finals broadcast:

George Bonfiglio -- I misted up seeing him and 27th Lancers again. How I miss that corps!

Star -- Never thought I'd feel nostalgic about Star. Must be the third sign of the coming apocalypse. I guess it's because I always felt satisfied that they did all they set out to do, became a chameleon that re-invented themselves every year and made that their tradition, never apologized for anything, did it their way the whole way through, then bowed out gracefully. So why, when I heard that magnificent music all over again, did I feel a lump in my throat? And why was I so happy to hear the crowd finally acknowledging them for all they'd contributed (sans booing)? And oh, to hear the voice of another George once again. Z, you are still missed.

They may not have marched, but from the little clip I found, the guard DID do a ton of the original choreography (at least from the Medea section) and use the actual silks. I'd recognize that work anywhere. That's fantastic (and impressive after all this time, as it wasn't easy stuff)! Was it like that through the rest of the show too?

Yes, the guard was great throughout! They even did the "stick work" that they did in "Medea"!

I'd buy that, although I'm probably biased because I saw them live. At the time, I was still a youngin' as a drum corps fan. When I heard they were going to play (in 94, right? after Finals I think), I kind of rolled my eyes and didn't have much interest in seeing a bunch of old fogies wondering around the field trying to recapture their glory. A stranger sitting around us told me that I wasn't going to want to miss their performance, pleading that something really special was about to happen. He hyped it up for me, and I kind of begrudgingly stayed.

When 27 came out I could feel the stadium explode in energy I hadn't felt all night for any DCI Top 12 corps. After about 30 seconds I was on my feat with everyone else in the stadium cheering for 27. Their precision, their sound, everything just completely blew me away. For the 20 or so minutes they performed, no other corps existed that night/season. I didn't care about scores, who placed where, etc. I was so caught up in the moment, and it was one of the first times that I felt I was truly seeing a snapshot of DCI's incredible past (of course, I felt a little nostalgic watching 94 Cadets WSS show, especially the end which was a 'modernized' adaptation of their 83 ending). That was a great performance, and ever since then I'm always excited to see what Alumni corps deliver to the DCI crowds.

I guess for me personally, Star Alumni didn't capture as much nostalgia since they had such a limited/short history compared to other corps (CAC, Scouts, etc). It was cool, and I LOVED how they sounded; while I was a little bummed they didn't to any marching I thought their alternative was original and nostalgic and appropriately tugged at the heartstrings as much/more than drill would have. I admire all of Star's alumni who performed Friday night for us, and I thank them for their awesome efforts (and clinic in great brass tone).

Which is why now alumni go on after semis- can't have the exhibition blow away the about-to-be-crowned champion. Heck - I don't even remember who won in 94, but I remember 27 alumni

Edited by IllianaLancerContra

Which is why now alumni go on after semis- can't have the exhibition blow away the about-to-be-crowned champion. Heck - I don't even remember who won in 94, but I remember 27 alumni

I remember, but only because of the blasted tie (first of all, I loathe first-place ties, and secondly, Phantom should've won that one outright, IMO). But you're right, Two-Seven, and the incredibly emotional crowd reaction they got (which greatly surpassed that for the corps that competed earlier that night), are what stick in my mind from that year.

I remember, but only because of the blasted tie (first of all, I loathe first-place ties, and secondly, Phantom should've won that one outright, IMO). But you're right, Two-Seven, and the incredibly emotional crowd reaction they got (which greatly surpassed that for the corps that competed earlier that night), are what stick in my mind from that year.

I thought 96 was the (first) tie

There was a tie in 94?

That Mad Dog is killing me.

MIKE

Oh wait, you're right. I'm getting my years mixed up. *sigh* And I haven't even had anything to drink, LOL!

The opening to Belshazzar's Feast alone was more entertaining than most of the junior corps performances.

Kind of puts things in perspective.

If you didn't tear up when they hit that last power cord before the end from Pines of Rome, then you don't remember what drum corps used to be like.