Dan Acheson contract renewed as DCI Executive Director

I believe DCM had the same stance and look where they are now.

But that wasn't 7-8 corps leaving DCM to start their own circuit....they went to DCI and established their competing operation as a division of DCI. Frankly, without DCI's support, those corps would not have been able to do that.

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a huge Dan Acheson admirer. He seems to bring all the right qualities to the job. He's professional in appearance and delivery. He's dependable, he's knowledgeable, he's proven, he's NOT controversial.

Now . . . who else is out there provides all that, and more?

Anyone from the G-7 cabal? Don't think so.

Congratulations Dan!

Or the Cadets? Or YEA!? Or the Blue Devils?

This is all that needs to be said to settle the "issue".

You people who think it's time for Dan to go are nuts. You look at that balance sheet and tell me, in light of the "elite" corps demanding more and more production, then in the next breath demanding more and more MONEY FROM DAN'S BUDGET, and tell me, precisely, where's he's failed DCI, the corps, or us.

Some poster's comparison of a Fortune 500 balance sheet is just ludicrous. I say this BECAUSE I get paid to read and understand balance sheets, and annual reports, and the notes to the annual reports (which I've been asking for since May), and also because I've been involved with symphony balance sheets and I can read the 990s of DCI without the hype fluff (you should, too).

Get off the man's back, really. Not a single one of you here has the information, the history, or the data to come down on Dan A or his staff. I challenge each one of you bashers to prove to me that DCI's budget, balance, production, and methods are inept. I challenge anyone here to convince me that the operations and financial systems of DCI need to be led by another team.

I challenge each of you basher to prove to me your credentialed sufficiently to be so critical.

I challenge each of you bashers to describe the mindset of a BOD that is clearly focused on doing what's best for the entire activity only to rubber-stamp Dan's appointment because they were too stupid to do otherwise.

Your opinion here is fine. I can laugh at it behind my screen. But when you make accusations you ####-well better have some proof. I want to see it. Bring it on.

Edited by garfield

The finances of DCI and quite a few of it's member corps are in bad shape. There are a myriad of reasons. But when you take on the role of CEO of an organization, it's financial health is pretty much the ONLY measure of your success or failure. A CEO does have quite a lot of opportunity to shape the direction of the activity on many levels. He is accountable - much in the same way a President is accountable for the state of the economy and many other areas of which he has no direct authority. Look at the example of how Roger Goodell has grabbed control of the NFL and made bold moves and vastly improved the financial health of it's member teams - all of which are independant private organizations - just like DCI corps. I would offer that baseball commissioner Bud Selig has been the polar opposite, doing major damage to the health of what once was considered our "national pastime."

Again, I'm playing devils advocate here. I expect some will refute my statements, but I'm more interested in seeing some people list the positive things that Dan has done for DCI. Someone mentioned "bold moves" are needed. Why can the CEO of DCI make these type of bold moves and effect some real change in a positive way?

I can't let this one go by. TwoValves, I challenge you to show me evidence of DCI's finances being in bad shape. Where do I see that. What evidence you have besides hyperbole?

Your understanding of DCI's operation is obviously inaccurate, and your comparison of DCI's responsibilities to Roger Goodell's are misguided. Roger Goodell's BOD is not requiring him to relinquish a larger and larger share of his budget to accomplish his goals. Roger Goodell's governing body is not made up the teams in his league. Roger Goodell controls membership in the NFL; not the same case at all in DCI.

If you want to point fingers simply point them at the group you suggest holds the keys to drum corps marching "Into the Light" ($1 to PR).

Your understanding of what is the future, successful model of DCI is based on inaccurate comparisons, plain and simple.

Dan Acheson only ran one corps, and they're still around. And seriously, if you want to compare the attrition rate under Acheson vs. earlier in DCI's history, the results are not going to support your case.

Frankly, continuing the expensive live broadcast in this era of theater shows, streaming video and social media would probably have been an enormous waste of money.

How is that a failure of DCI? For that matter, DCI assuming the operations of DCE, DCW and eventually DCM could be considered an additional accomplishment.

You have any data to support that assertion?

OK, you found one DCI decision I disagree with. But let's be fair:

1. It's only 8 years in the acoustic dungeon.

2. Let's not ignore the complicity of others in this decision. The corps and DCI's BOD supported the development of indoor shows nearly a decade before this decision was made. DCI's events in San Antonio and Indy's RCA Dome became perennial five-figure attendance events, so even among the fans, there is a contingent that are willing to compromise acoustics for creature comforts (much to my chagrin).

3. As a business decision, the overall tradeoff in lost/relocated ticket revenue was expected to be offset by cost savings. From what we are told, this has proven to be true.

Dan Acheson does not design the shows.

Perhaps your concerns should be directed to the perpetrators of that conflict (the G7).

For starters, there was bringing DCI back from the brink with innovative cost-cutting measures and business partnerships. Dealing with Disney and IBM enabled DCI to repair the damage of events earlier in the '90s. Dan's ability to assemble, train and manage a younger, leaner and more tech-savvy team helped not only on the balance sheets, but also in DCI's ability to develop new marketing techniques in evolving media platforms.

Let's try to remember that the job of the DCI Executive Director under current governance is NOT to make policy (the BOD does 99% of that), but rather to implement it. Success at that job is measured in whether he did what the BOD directed, and how the balance sheets look in the process. And from the late-1990's turnaround to today's profit-in-a-great-recession, seems like Dan is performing exceptionally well.

Yes indeed, Dan ran a little Corps called the Glassmen. In 10 short years Dan took a 39th place Corps to a top 8th placing Corps. In one of his years he took the Glassmen to a top 25 finish with 49 members. I call this Corps the mighty 49 plus 1(Dan A) During his tenure the Glassmen never went back in placement. I am sure there is one Glassmen Alum who marched under Dan who may have something negative to say about him, however, I have yet to find that Alum. They are very loyal to Dan, even today. Dan was also a member of the 75 Madison Scouts. IMHO if it were not for Dan's leadership and vision, the Glassmen would of folded.

Dean

This was a stupid move. Not one of reconciliation, but of defiance. This almost guarantees a nasty split. I only hope when the G7 leaves they take Madison with them (G8). In time the rest will come begging!

The Scouts have too much History, Integrity and Pride to go running after their "Big Brother" elitist defectors. :thumbup: Wow! None of "Sgt. Hopkins Lowly Woodwinds Band" remains on the DCI Board? Sounds like the most positive move DCI has made in decades! :thumbup:

The Scouts have too much History, Integrity and Pride to go running after their "Big Brother" elitist defectors. :thumbup: Wow! None of "Sgt. Hopkins Lowly Woodwinds Band" remains on the DCI Board? Sounds like the most positive move DCI has made in decades! :thumbup:

Time we reveal all...As it always does :thumbup:

the Z-7 say one of the problems is the lack of attendence.

but it's the and there former positions on the board that drove many loyal fans away with amps , talk of woodwinds , voice , samples , pre shows., et....

plus the fan friendly shows are still not the CADETS and BLUE DEVILS . Although Blue Devils with both A ond B coeps going undefeated for two years could go G1.

Who would you rather have running DCI ?

DAN ACHESON OR GEORGE HOPKINS ???

ANSWER IS SIMPLE.....

<plus the fan friendly shows are still not the CADETS and BLUE DEVILS . >

Well, I never saw the Blue Devils live...so I can't comment - but I saw the Cadets at Massillon - and they were the most entertaining corps of the night - and that was a GREAT line up. Say what you will about George, the Cadets do drum corps VERY VERY well -