Dan Acheson contract renewed as DCI Executive Director

This was a stupid move. Not one of reconciliation, but of defiance. This almost guarantees a nasty split. I only hope when the G7 leaves they take Madison with them (G8). In time the rest will come begging!

Enjoy the flutes and clarinets. I save that for the fall myself. :smile:

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you think sponsors and fans would invest their time and resources into that over a group featuring the G7?

Yes. I most certainly would.

The IRL split from CART/IndyCar was similar- the IRL had the "weaker" product, CART had the big teams and names. CART ran out of money, the top teams came back to IRL so they could compete at Indy (ironic, isn't it!?) and re-merged.

It might mean for a rough go at first for what is left, but they do produce a more than acceptable product, and given the G7 want to turn themselves into some kind of super-BoA band thing, Drum Corps fans will want to see CORPS- not BAND.

They want to go- wave goodbye. As Hancock more or less said on the second day of Gettysburg when Sickles moved his troops into the wheatfield out of position... "don't worry, they'll be back..."

Oh, and one more thing- since DCI shows in the PA/MD/NJ area would no longer all be run by YEA! (except for DCI East), I'd be inclined to spend my money to take a couple in and enjoy the show. I'd also bet the ticket prices would be far more reasonable as well....

Edited by BigW

DCI may be viable if the G7 actually leaves, but it would be largely overshadowed by whatever the G7 will do. Don't know if they will actually leave, but the idea that DCI without the G7 will be as successful as it is now is just crazy.

How do you know this? If whatever the Gee 7 does "overshadows" the weak sisters of the poor that dci will become (apparently), then that tells me the Gee 7 holds all the cards. So......man up Gee 7 - leave. Prove you'll leave dci in your dust. What are you waiting for? You made the ultimatum, you want the exclusive rights to the Fri and Sat shows. You want the lion's share of the money. At least the non-Gee 7 directors woke up and said "no thanks." So.... what's your next move, hopgibbs?

Do you think sponsors and fans would invest their time and resources into that over a group featuring the G7? Do you not think that several of those corps would jump over to a new organization that features the G7 in a second if they were invited? DCI may be viable if the G7 actually leaves, but it would be largely overshadowed by whatever the G7 will do. Don't know if they will actually leave, but the idea that DCI without the G7 will be as successful as it is now is just crazy. And the idea that a board without any G7 members selecting a CEO that has already been rejected by the G7 members is a sign of solidarity is similarly crazy. The DCI board members sans G7 are biting the hand that is feeding them. I don't think it makes any sense at all.

Wow are you wrong ! These corps are the heart of DCI.

The Z-7

Would the crowds adopt these corps and go to the shows? You bet

these Z-7 directors who think they can run DCI just because these corps receive hiigh scores is ridiculous. Were not Cadets and phantom almost broke a few years back? BD. And SCV might loose the bingo revenue.crown an coats were out of the top 12 within the last 10 years. Where will they be 10 years from now?

Edited by FanofNight

It's not like the vote would have gone any other way when the vote is stacked. The appearance may show a stable board but that doesn't make DCI anymore stable.

Right now we have a majority of have nots making decisions for the corps that bring in most of the Money. Their decisions will be based on their survival and not DCI as a whole. Without the G7 most of them would sink. The draw at their shows would be less and so would the money involved.

DCI can't survive without the G7, it remains to be seen if the G7 can survive without DCI.

Edited by Phantombari1

It's not like the vote would have gone any other way when the vote is stacked. The appearance may show a stable board but that doesn't make DCI anymore stable.

Right now we have a majority of have nots making decisions for the corps that bring in most of the Money. Their decisions will be based on their survival and not DCI as a whole. Without the G7 most of them would sink. The draw at their shows would be less and so would the money involved.

DCI can't survive without the G7, it remains to be seen if the G7 can survive without DCI.

The G-7 can't survive on their own outside of DCI either. 7 Corps would have a shelf life of maybe 2 years at best outside of DCI. Even the successful " BLAST " ultimately ran it's course.

But if some or all of these Corps want to leave DCI ... then go, and don't let the screen door hit you in the back as you head out.

The G-7 concept proposal is as dead as the fictional character Geoffrey is now.

That battle was fought. We have the winners. We have the losers.

The overall health of the activity will now be restored to it's proper place. And the majority of fans will now benefit from that restoration in the coming years, imo. The loss of 1 or even all 7 Corps ( as good as they are ) will not be the end of Drum Corps as we know it. We've lost dozens of once great Corps and survived... some say got better. This might even be rebirth Rennaisance period that finally takes the activity out of the Dark Ages..... "Change is good". Isn't that what we hear all the time ?

Edited by BRASSO

The G-7 can't survive on their own outside of DCI either. 7 Corps would have a shelf life of maybe 2 years at best outside of DCI. Even the successful " BLAST " ultimately ran it's course.

But if some or all of these Corps want to leave DCI ... then go, and don't let the screen door hit you in the back as you head out.

Tthe overall health of the activity will now be restored to it's proper place. And the majority of fans will now benefit from that restoration in the coming years, imo.

There are no winners or losers..........sorry..........and if you dont think that HUGE change will come because of it and probably the very thing people fear most, I believe its blindly looking at a false victory....JMO

The overall health of the activity will now be restored to it's proper place. And the majority of fans will now benefit from that restoration in the coming years, imo.

Oh!.......lol....sorry...what does " in its proper place mean "....hmmmmm now thats an interesting line :smile:

There are no winners or losers..........sorry..........and if you dont think that HUGE change will come because of it and probably the very thing people fear most, I believe its blindly looking at a false victory....JMO

Well.... the " change is good " crowd arn't going to change their tune NOW are they ?

There is no " going back ".

DCI has a completely new Board of Directors wih a future vision for the activity that its majority members support.

As has been said on here for years, get on board and stop the whining. If you're not happy with the changes and direction chosen by the members and BOD of DCI, then " just leave" .

Amen to that.

Edited by BRASSO

Well.... the " change is good " crowd arn't going to change their tune, NOW are they ?

There is no " going back ".

DCI has a completely new Board of Directors wih a future vision for the activity that its majority members support.

As has been said on here for years, get on board., stop the whining. If you're not happy with the changes in DCI, then " just leave ".

Well same could be said of the opposing side also...Right?

If you dont like the change or new idea...leave!

Imnot advocating for either side at all, although it must seem it . I just cringe at arrogance on either end.