The Official DCI Finals Lounge

So they can't have an opinion??? They paid big bucks for a ticket, they have a right to boo if they want. Some people just walked out whn the Cavies score was announced.

Sure they can have an opinion: nothing wrong with that. Choosing to express your opinion in the most classless way possible is a d-bag move

• Replies 764
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So they can't have an opinion??? They paid big bucks for a ticket, they have a right to boo if they want. Some people just walked out whn the Cavies score was announced.

A dumb argument, made all too often around here. Who said they have no right to? Are you saying people can't have an opinion about booing either or is this just a one-way street?

I can't begin to fathom that people feel self-important enough and think that drum corps is that big of a deal that they decide it's a good idea to boo a group of 150 16-21 year-olds for the show they were given to perform. Express your displeasure in other ways if you like: don't clap, go get a hot dog, whatever. I've just never understood the concept of booing. Yeah to a certain extent you are a customer and your opinion matters, but all booing does is devalue the sweat and tears the members put into their show, and I just don't think they deserve that.

No doubt. Especially when the people booing were obviously doing it from the luxury of their spectator seats without have lifted a finger for ANY corps. Really a pathetic and classless move

This is a tremendous point!

1) don't blame a corps for having incredible success: if anyone blame their competitors for not stepping up, developing a show that has enough depth, demand, effect, and is executed near flawlessly.

I remember this great t-shirt Cadets sold back in the 80's...something about "when every one zigged, we zagged" or something to that effect. Right now, BD is the only top-tier corps zagging. Though I'd give some props to Bluecoats and their use of electronics as well.

Im sure I will get killed for this but I was with my bf this year when his daughter called him several times crying over this issues or that issue thru her 1st summer marching DCI.. She was being pushed to be her best, she was away from home and she was making rookie mistakes but over time the crying stopped, she gained her footing and will be a confident young lady coming home after the summer she just spent out on tour....she worked so hard(as did everyone else) they slept on gym floors, they worked out in 100 degree plus weather and did it to entertain all of us.

Hate shows or love shows, hate DCI or love DCI that is your choice but to boo the kids who just paid lots of money to entertain all of us is wrong in my opinion. This isnt a millionaire athlete who strikes out, this is a 19 or 20 year old kid who wants to perform and goes to a corps to do just that, they have no say in the show or the design. This is my opinion and I am sure I will get ripped cause of it but so be it.

However, she DOES have a say so. If she ( along with many others) keep funding the direction her corps takes does she not bare some responsibility ? I had a say so when I started marching back in 1970. If I didn't like the direction my corps was heading in I changed corps. Seems like basic economics........but DCI by large likes to hide behind kids

No, I do not boo, but I support anyones right to do so. I happened to love BD's show this year but I do understand why so many don't. .

[/quote

Just wait 25 years and we will be talking about how wonderful BD 2010 was!

Not a chance. I cant imagine anyone cranking 2010 BD in the car like we used to do with 1976 BD.

If you were trying to explain drum corp to a novice & played the 2010 BD CD for them, do you really think they would want to run out & buy tickets to a drum corp show?

being able to "crank 2010 BD in the car" is a completely meaningless way to determine the validity of a show. :smile:

Marching Music's MAJOR LEAGUE. I boo when a ref makes a bad call. I boo when an ump misses the tag. I boo when there's a penalty in hockey. I boo when my ex wife pulls in the driveway (wait that's not major league .. just major bummer).

I'm making a point (even though I don't agree with it). This is a classless system in America (unless you live in the Hampton's or someplace like it). So, why the call for everyone to be classy? Let them get their boo on. It's not like they can complain to the BD staff any other way. The people booing aren't supporters of that organization anyway and definitely aren't sending checks to them.

It's not like it was one loud mouth in the stands being a doof .......... it was enough people to be heard without mistake. Just like here on DCP. It's not one person causing a scene ........... there's a good percentage of people here on the Planet that didn't care for the BD offering this year either and have made point of posting about it (myself included). Most of them are also the firsts to post "I loves me some BD" (myself included). But that was yesteryear ... not what's going on now.

I think everyone has been pretty clear this year that it's not about BD winning ... it's about the show itself and where it's going from here. So, some idiots opened their mouth and booed. Big whoop. It's still America and that's their right. Kids or no kids as performers ............. and if it really meant that much to the activity to not boo in the presence of kids ... the designers would actually think about what their creating before they ask a kid to perform it and expect a warm welcome and a standing ovation.

NIGHT DCP! See you for the 2011 season (if there still is one ............)

I am glad to know that you don't necessarily agree with the point you are making, because I do respect you opinions and have enjoyed reading what you have to say. I also understand booing at sporting events, but we also know that when booing happens at sporting events, the players are well aware that it is the ref who is the brunt of the boos and other colorful metaphors aimed at the playing field. In this case, the kids are the ones standing there on the field after performing to the best of their abilities....that's why that was not necessarily the arena to express one's dissatisfaction with the show. So you are probably right that it was too much for me to expect that people show "class" but I really would like to believe in expecting that soft polite applause....oh well.

"It's not like they can complain to the BD staff any other way. The people booing aren't supporters of that organization anyway and definitely aren't sending checks to them."

This is the electronic age and all the corps have websites. BD has a forum. Why not start there expressing thoughts on the show. Start a dialogue. Who knows what both sides might learn....just an idealistic thought from someone who is usually a pessimist.

Anyhow have a good night and I look forward to seeing you around here next year, where there will be some other type of drama to keep everyone nice and occupied...:smile:

Edited by txorchdork013

No doubt. Especially when the people booing were obviously doing it from the luxury of their spectator seats without have lifted a finger for ANY corps. Really a pathetic and classless move

While I agree with you on the booing thing, this is an assumption that you don't have enough evidence to make. Let's not become what we're railing against.

Doubt they care much about the boos. They can handle it.

51-0 over the last two years. 75-2 over the last three, and .125 away from 4 titles in a row. Living well is the best revenge.

Hope the staff keeps "sucking" as bad as they are right now. Despite the criticism (which came last year as well, and, to a lesser degree, '07), the staff is currently designing shows that puts the ball firmly in the performers court. Perform, win; don't, lose. Considering they outperformed yet lost to "better" shows in the past, can't ask for much more as a member.

Congrats on #14. Looking forward to #15.

Also, congrats to PR on drums. The little I could here over the line sounded tasty clean!