Crossmen

I see what you're saying, but since moving to Texas, there has been a significant drop-off in performance excellence and execution, with no obvious success at rebounding. They've been doing this for 4 years now, which leads one to believe the culture change has been for the worse.

I completely agree with the regime change though. It's time someone steps up and gets it done the way it used to be.

Dean Musson? Jeff Bridges? Bueller? Bueller?

Well, the good news is, until the corps is dead and buried, there's always opportunity to round the corner and become very successful again. And personally, I think Jeff would be an excellent choice. Especially if he could drag that ol' jazzer Chuck Naiffer back into the mix. I love his arrangements and I think he could write just the kind of book to get that hornline swinging again. I loved the stuff he did the first time around.

But regardless, they need a show and mindset change that really TIES them to their history and tradition so the kids can really "get it"...and have that be something that they want to OWN and identify themselves with.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see what you're saying, but since moving to Texas, there has been a significant drop-off in performance excellence and execution, with no obvious success at rebounding. They've been doing this for 4 years now, which leads one to believe the culture change has been for the worse.

I completely agree with the regime change though. It's time someone steps up and gets it done the way it used to be.

Dean Musson? Jeff Bridges? Bueller? Bueller?

Meh, the drop-off happened after '05 as far as I'm concerned. I don't think '06 was executed any better than 07, 09, or 2010 were. 2008 was better executed and performed than '06 and probably '05... Maybe even '04.

Ok, but the Scouts did those things every other year in that transition as well...so what set this year apart and made it different? It's because they didn't just get a history lesson, they internalized it, digested it, and made it a part of who they were. They wove that thread throughout everything that had to do with the corps. They BECAME the '75 Madison Scouts in every way they possibly could! That's what I'm talking about...changing the climate. You change the climate and you change the culture. That's more what I mean.

I understand and agree, but I think their success also has to do with all this internalizing and climate changing being taught by people who are simply sensational at designing talent level-appropriate, effective shows, and then making sure the instruction is there to execute those shows at a high standard. History, pride, etc. can still fall short if your musical arrangements don't generate response and your marching is all over the place. It has certainly seemed that the Crossmen have done an excellent job knowing who they are/were. When they can get the show designs to better project that, look out!

get nafier and thurston to write the show and you'll get that Crossmen sound back, and maybe in a couple years they'll get the members and the swagger back as well.

Good Luck Crossmen, remember the Bluecoats, Crown, Troopers, and Madison have all done it so a rebound is very acheivable.

I understand and agree, but I think their success also has to do with all this internalizing and climate changing being taught by people who are simply sensational at designing talent level-appropriate, effective shows, and then making sure the instruction is there to execute those shows at a high standard. History, pride, etc. can still fall short if your musical arrangements don't generate response and your marching is all over the place. It has certainly seemed that the Crossmen have done an excellent job knowing who they are/were. When they can get the show designs to better project that, look out!

Yeah, exactly. That's what I mean! The Crossmen need a design that CONNECTS them with their identity. There's no doubt that this year's Scouts production CONNECTED with the identity of the corps the way few have for many years. I think the Crossmen could be successful doing the same.

And I figured the "yeah but it's Jim Mason & Co." remark would come up. Truth is, as much as I think that he's a incredible drum corps talent (and I do), it's obvious from remarks by Star alums and Bill Cook himself that Jim is also an incredible salesman. There was a quote from Bill Cook's book about Jim "selling 'hot air' the way he did in 1984" or something like that. So while, yes, he is talented and has a great staff, I think as much of his success comes from getting people to buy in. He's an exceptional motivator and could probably sell ice to an Eskimo. Just go ask the people who marched under him at Star. :thumbup:

So I think his brand of success can be duplicated. You just need a dynamic person who knows how to put the right people in the right places and can get everyone to "buy in" to the concept. That sort of thing is infectious and spreads like wildfire. And it all has to start somewhere.

Meh, the drop-off happened after '05 as far as I'm concerned. I don't think '06 was executed any better than 07, 09, or 2010 were. 2008 was better executed and performed than '06 and probably '05... Maybe even '04.

Everyone wanted the Crossmen to be let go from YEA! so they could stand on th ier own and show the world they could make it on thier own......, we'll show the world that YEA! was holding us back and keeping all the good kids and selling crappier merchandise and treating us like 2nd class citizens. We'll show them!!!!

Still waiting..........................

Edited by CT-Horn

I want to comment to the person who mentioned the alumni back east not being happy about the move and the changes:

Where were you after you aged out?

There are lots of Crossmen alumni who know me; in fact, most of the Crossmen alumni association. That goes to prove the collection of people who call themselves the CAA is way too small. And trust me, their pockets are showing wear...

I have been working for the corps since 2006, and have been the "face" of the drum corps since 2007 when I took the souvenir manager job. I see lots of people at shows. I talk to lots of people at shows. There is no shortage of alumni who come up to me to complain that the Texas folk "took their corps away." And to all of those people I ask the above question: where were you? I have gone to every CAA fundraising event since 2006. I haven't seen many new faces. I haven't seen many new names on the list of donors to the corps. Where were you guys when the corps needed you? Oh, wait, I know where you were. Somewhere trying to blame it on George Hopkins. I don't like the guy, either, but he saved the corps by letting people who actually had their ducks in a row take them over.

So please, stop whining, and join your alumni association. The corps still needs you. You are still their history. Come out to a camp and volunteer. Meet some kids; talk to them. They will be so elated to see you care about them. They will ask you questions, and pick your brain...I guarantee a fulfilling experience.

This is how we get the Crossmen back into finals, people. Unity. There is no magic fix.

I want to comment to the person who mentioned the alumni back east not being happy about the move and the changes:

There are lots of Crossmen alumni who know me; in fact, most of the Crossmen alumni association. That goes to prove the collection of people who call themselves the CAA is way too small. And trust me, their pockets are showing wear...

I have been working for the corps since 2006, and have been the "face" of the drum corps since 2007 when I took the souvenir manager job. I see lots of people at shows. I talk to lots of people at shows. There is no shortage of alumni who come up to me to complain that the Texas folk "took their corps away." And to all of those people I ask the above question: where were you? I have gone to every CAA fundraising event since 2006. I haven't seen many new faces. I haven't seen many new names on the list of donors to the corps. Where were you guys when the corps needed you? Oh, wait, I know where you were. Somewhere trying to blame it on George Hopkins. I don't like the guy, either, but he saved the corps by letting people who actually had their ducks in a row take them over.

So please, stop whining, and join your alumni association. The corps still needs you. You are still their history. Come out to a camp and volunteer. Meet some kids; talk to them. They will be so elated to see you care about them. They will ask you questions, and pick your brain...I guarantee a fulfilling experience.

This is how we get the Crossmen back into finals, people. Unity. There is no magic fix.

For a while there, the Reading Buccaneers had a lot of Crossmen age outs

quite a post for your first. Bravo

For a while there, the Reading Buccaneers had a lot of Crossmen age outs

Not a ton like their used to, but we are still here spread throughout the corps.