Drum Corps Isn't Dead.....

Flag code is simple and is also FEDERAL LAW.

Some of the most basic rules:

1. No flag in front of HG facing same direction.

2. No flag to right of HG facing same direction.

3. AF (or Canadian, or UK) does not back up or do an about face or rear march.

4. AF (etc.) does not dip

5. AF (etc bearer) does not dance step

I've seen these rules violated too many times by alumni corps (sadly). Just because a judge isn't throwing a penalty on you doesn't mean that you can violate FEDERAL LAW.

Last time I saw one particular junior alumni corps do a "color presentation," they violated 1, 2, and 3.

You don't have to be a boy scout or veteran to know flag ettiquite.

At a recent Memorial Day parade, I walked out on the street during a pause in the parade to inform a SCOUTMASTER that his AF and BSA flags were reversed. He said, "that depends if you're looking towards us from front or rear. I told him to look at the FIVE AF sections still visible ahead of him. he waved me off...... This is the kind of idiot supervising a BSA Troop.

I've NEVER caught the Cabs Alumni in a flag violation, and doubt that I ever would.

Joe

This thread would be interesting if Cozy Baker was here to comment on it :):):)

How I miss him :sad::thumbup: :thumbup:

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At a recent Memorial Day parade, I walked out on the street during a pause in the parade to inform a SCOUTMASTER that his AF and BSA flags were reversed. He said, "that depends if you're looking towards us from front or rear. I told him to look at the FIVE AF sections still visible ahead of him. he waved me off...... This is the kind of idiot supervising a BSA Troop.

Joe

Poor BSA Scoutmaster training. I used to do the AF ettiquite training at Council level training events. I even covered posting. It is usually covered during training but if the person is thinking about getting home for 5p.m. rather than what is being discussed, they should have just stayed home to begin with. That particular SM didn't want to "look bad" in front of the kids.

And He would surely comment with expertise and wisdom! :sad:

No doubt. Have you heard the story about the encounter with Cozy, The Marines and CorpsVets at a parade?

Funny story!

Flag code is simple and is also FEDERAL LAW.

Some of the most basic rules:

1. No flag in front of HG facing same direction.

2. No flag to right of HG facing same direction.

3. AF (or Canadian, or UK) does not back up or do an about face or rear march.

4. AF (etc.) does not dip

5. AF (etc bearer) does not dance step

I've seen these rules violated too many times by alumni corps (sadly). Just because a judge isn't throwing a penalty on you doesn't mean that you can violate FEDERAL LAW.

Last time I saw one particular junior alumni corps do a "color presentation," they violated 1, 2, and 3.

You don't have to be a boy scout or veteran to know flag ettiquite.

I've NEVER caught the Cabs Alumni in a flag violation, and doubt that I ever would.

Joe

Yep, yep, Joe. Very common sense and straight up, no rocket science as to how to handle our nation's colors.

Also, I do believe there's verbage that it should be guarded within 2 paces by someone, something to that effect?

And as you've said, the Cabs and Cabs Alumni have pretty much set the modern standard on how to do the Main Guard correctly. Then again, I think the Alumni's Main guard still has an original founding corps member on biard- I'm sure they take care of business the way it should be!

Edited by BigW

Corps had the basic flag rules down pretty well. The legion started to enforce a rule called,"The sweep Rules." It pertains to turning the American flag. When the flag turns any flag in its path has to render a salute, This got corps very confused. Now they had trail and a sweep rules. Since the rule has been changed to give one count for the turn, which actually eliminates the sweep.

Also flag code is written for other flags. A flag is a piece of cloth at least 3' by 5'. So many banners used in "All age Corps" could be anywhere because they are not flags.

The rule which still gets violated but DCA has started to come down on it. the "A Flag and its Guard must be covered, simply meaning hat on.

A few tid bits for an old fossil who still judges Legion contest in NY State. Judging Nationals is a ball but usually after the reception the Guards give the judges who can remember the rules. If any Corps wanted to do a flag pre and had questions I would be more than happy to help them.

Look, I'm all for Honor Guards. I'm proud to have won my first championship as a member of a DCA HG (and I AM a dinosaur - started marching in 1962). BUT... back in the day, the corps I marched with had dual sponsorship - VFW and American Legion. Having an HG was the rule, this is drum corps, you don't get a say, shut up and get back in line. But now? Tradition, yes, but to say it is disrespectful not to have one, nah. I just don't think you can make an argument for requiring one anymore. It doesn't even matter why some corps choose not to have them. And let's be honest... some dinos will huff and puff on DCP about it, yet some of them are the very same pinheads that go to a show and keep their butts firmly planted in their portable padded stadium seat and continue to gripe about how much better Old School is than the corps that is trouping the stands right in front of them - A Squad and all - rather than stand and show respect for the flag. If I'm sweating my almost 60 year old tail off carrying it past you, the least you could do is stop whining long enough to stand in proper respect. And the best thing about being a dino & doing HG isn't the tradition, it's getting to hear these phenominal "New School" kids play from close enough that you can hear their labored breath and feel the heat coming off them as they FLY by. My goodness, if you cannot appreciate how amazing they are, it is YOU who is missing drum corps, not them. I get a kick out of listening to my cheesy little solos from BITD, but honey, if I could wake up 17 tomorrow, I be Blue Devil bound in a heartbeat!

Back to Keith's op.

DCA: you have to love it... Considering how DCA has progressed over the past 20 years or so, gotten younger, rebounded in size, has shepherded the mini-corps and alumni movements, and continued to innovate within a drum corps framework-well, it's simply amazing. The funny thing is that no DCA fans seem to be asking for synths, electronics or woodwinds. I think the average DCA fan is quite pleased with DCA's direction. The DCA management, corps directors, members and staff have done a great job and I hope they continue to do so.