Drum Corps Isn't Dead.....

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

George Hopkins is working on that. :thumbup:

steve we have scales for skin and very long tails.

George Hopkins is working on that. :thumbup:

Personally I cant stand the guy...and i do know him personally. BUT hes only 1 guy and rather good at his job and that includes gathering the weak around him ( some directors )..If no others agreed with him he wouldnt get what he wants...So its not just him, not by a long shot!

I'm one who does not care for the DCI corps, but that aside, I have a question: Why do these corps no longer carry the American flag? I'm not even suggesting they do a color presentation or anything like that which was a big deal in the old days. It just seems to me that carrying the American flag might be one drum corps tradition that they should have kept.

Personally I cant stand the guy...and i do know him personally. BUT hes only 1 guy and rather good at his job and that includes gathering the weak around him ( some directors )..If no others agreed with him he wouldnt get what he wants...So its not just him, not by a long shot!

I would never single out one individual in this issue, but his name is prevalent, when "change" looms on the horizon. Matter of fact, his name appears in the latest CNN article, regarding the G-7 controversy. It's correct to assume his involvement.

I'm one who does not care for the DCI corps, but that aside, I have a question: Why do these corps no longer carry the American flag? I'm not even suggesting they do a color presentation or anything like that which was a big deal in the old days. It just seems to me that carrying the American flag might be one drum corps tradition that they should have kept.

been gone for a long time..in winter guard also ( for guard at leat 25 years ) But to try to answer your question....1 reason was numbers. using up all the people you could. Anoher and I cant speak for all just where I taught. It was a thing of not having an A squard in the way or subject to any rule or penalty.Thers a few other reasons Im sure others could elaborate on

That is true. At least he's pretty open that he wants drum corps to simply be the exact same as band and stands out in the open to take the hits.

I can give you an answer for that, Lew.

Sometime around 1978 to 1979, Someone- I actually think it was the Bridgemen- realized that if they could do away with the Main Guard, it would free up more performing slots for the field and still keep them under the 128 person limit.

If I remember the contemporary accounts and articles in DCW and DCN, they would plant an american flag on the corner of the field on a stand and leave it, which aroused consdierable ire for a bit of time.

I then think there was a DCI rule amendment to "128+4", stating 128 members on the field and up to 4 specifically for the Main Guard.

My guess is to save costs and room, whatever- most corps seem to have gotten away from using one on the field, DCI rules were rewritten, and really, even though there was a bit of grumbling, no one seemed to care. Remember, even though this activity is a bastion of vets, the AL, VFW, etc., people were kind of afraid to be publicly patriotic in that era- we had Jimmy Carter (Don't get me started there!!!!!), and it was immediately after the Vietnam era, so I think it was just collectively brushed under the rug and no one really wanted to fight the issue.

Now, as for parades, I could be incorrect, but I think several DCI units will march colors and a guard. The answer as to why would be simple- it gives alternate members something important to do instaed of just lugging the metronome around at rehearsals.

For the record, when I ran a Middle School Marching Band in Upstate NY, I had 4 REALLY good kids take care of this issue. One was a really great young man that played Bassoon who was their captain- and well, you can't march with one. I made absolutely certain they had the whole flag code down, and did this the RIGHT way. And BTW- the young man's Dad was VERY proud he guarded the colors for my band. He did a FINE job.