G7 and Open Class

So DCA would organize a second tour, with a second schedule and championship, held at an earlier date? Are they even interested in such a thing? Wouldn't this greatly expand their overhead costs? And would the "second" tour use the DCA rules, or the existing DCI rules?

I don't know. I am hearing a lot of alternatives, but they all have some sort of serious drawback.

way too many drawbacks.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's the same terminology that WGI uses. That, and prior to Division I, II, III in DCI, the classifications were All-Girls, A-60, A and Open at any given time in DCI's history. So it's nothing new here.

And please remember it's the open class corps directors who make the decisions about what is happening in the open class, not the DCI BoD.

...gotta correct you here, Eddie. OC corps directors make "recommendations" and the DCI BOD either approves 'em or not.

cg

...gotta correct you here, Eddie. OC corps directors make "recommendations" and the DCI BOD either approves 'em or not.

cg

Yes, but again, it comes from the Open class corps directors, not the DCI BoD. This has been stated by open class corps directors here on the forums for the past few years.

The G7 issue is different.

As president and founder of SDCA I would have to comment by saying that if there is no other alternative for the open class corps to find competition SDCA would adopt another division. Currently we have SDCA Arena; we could develop "SDCA FIELD". Just as the smaller corps dictate they needs and requirements and rules the "FIELD" division would dictate theirs. We had discussed the possibility of SDCA Field last year and it is a simple recipe. We would just need the corps to approach us and it would be done. Incidentally, we are currently talking to people who are looking for SDCA Arena California, SDCA Arena Eastern Midwest and SDCA Arena EAST Coast.

You have captured my interest in your post. Let me get this straight: You are stating that if the OC class corps want to jump ship, SDCA is willing and able to facilitate the following:

- Summer tour schedules for all current DCI OC corps as well as developing corps with both regional and national SDCA competitions.

- Provide a high quality judging panel at every contest similar to the DCI model.

- Establish a unified organizational judging system with common rules.

- Provide an end of tour National Championships where all corps converge at a single venue.

- Create shows existing at relatively nice stadium venues all across the nation.

- Provide logistical support for show coordination.

- Working relationship with Copyright holders and help corps with securing rights to perform and record.

- Help corps secure summer tour housing.

- Help in mass marketing the corps through the media to millions of potential fans.

- Develop a strict criteria system that new emerging corps must meet to join SDCA.

- Provide a SDCA team to help guide new emerging corps.

- Set up a show by show pay scale for competing corps.

- Ad infinitum…

How do you propose doing this at the same level, or better than, DCI is already providing these services to the current OC corps? Contrary to how the G7 have acted, DCI itself is not an evil ogre organization. And unless DCI actually completely eliminates the OC division, the OC corps already have a very powerful well known organization backing their interests. Nevertheless, if you can guarantee the above items, I am sure that some current DCI OC directors, and many that are building future corps, would be interested in looking at SDCA as a viable competitive option to DCI.

You have captured my interest in your post. Let me get this straight: You are stating that if the OC class corps want to jump ship, SDCA is willing and able to facilitate the following:

- Summer tour schedules for all current DCI OC corps as well as developing corps with both regional and national SDCA competitions.

- Provide a high quality judging panel at every contest similar to the DCI model.

- Provide an end of tour National Championships where all corps converge at a single venue.

- Create shows existing at relatively nice stadium venues all across the nation.

- Working relationship with Copyright holders and help corps with securing rights to perform and record.

- Help in mass marketing the corps through the media to millions of potential fans.

- Develop a strict criteria system that new emerging corps must meet to join SDCA.

- Ad infinitum…

How do you propose doing this at the same level, or better than, DCI is already providing these services to the current OC corps? Contrary to how the G7 have acted, DCI itself is not an evil ogre organization. And unless DCI actually completely eliminates the OC division, the OC corps already have a very powerful well known organization backing their interests. Nevertheless, if you can guarantee the above items, I am sure that some current DCI OC directors, and many that are building future corps, would be interested in looking at SDCA as a viable competitive option to DCI.

yaLways talks like DCI is some company that owns drum corps.........not true DCI is the drum Corps,,,not the other way around

- Ad infinitum…

I don't know how you read all that in to it. I read that If there was no other way to go SDCA would give the OC a playing venue also I read that the OC would dictate what THEY wanted and I doubt they would want what they are getting right now!

Edited by toneslinky

I don't know how you read all that in to it. I read that If there was no other way to go SDCA would give the OC a playing venue also I read that the OC would dictate what THEY wanted and I doubt they would want what they are getting right now!

Nothing against SDCA; they are currently providing a niche for smaller community type all inclusive corps which is great! All that I am saying is that a) Even though the DCI OC corps are somewhat neglected, DCI itself is not a bad institution; b) What the OC corps are currently receiving in DCI is more than likely far better than any other organization can provide (ie: OC corps are already receiving the list of benefits that I listed); and c) I was wondering if in the future would SDCA be able to provide corps those same benefits if those corps were to leave DCI.

Nothing against SDCA; they are currently providing a niche for smaller community type all inclusive corps which is great! All that I am saying is that a) Even though the DCI OC corps are somewhat neglected, DCI itself is not a bad institution; b) What the OC corps are currently receiving in DCI is more than likely far better than any other organization can provide (ie: OC corps are already receiving the list of benefits that I listed); and c) I was wondering if in the future would SDCA be able to provide corps those same benefits if those corps were to leave DCI.

Not to long ago I was a strong advocate of the OC splitting with DCI however, because of the services that DCI provides the OC, it would not be wise to split with DCI at this time. Which makes the G7 proposal even more egregious because the G7 know how valuable these services are to the OC Div. And they knew that eliminating said services would cripple the OC at the very minimum. I know some have said that the proposal is now dead. Yet that does not change the fact that Bluecoats, BD, SCV, Cadets, Cavies Crown, and PR have stated for all to read their true feelings towards the OC Div.

I feel that DCA and the OC Div. would be a great fit. However, it is clear to me that is not going to happen at this point in time. To me, this option is off the table.

I feel that SDCA and the OC Div. can work. If, and only if, DCI gives their blessing and they work together on the schedule. With a stretch goal of taking over the services DCI provides one step at a time. Not cold turkey. This would be a great opportunity for the OC to create their own brand, create their own identity, and create an executive BoD where most members are not Corps Dirs. A blank slate, if you would.

What would be the issues if SCDA with DCI blessing ran the OC shows and regionals during the season?

Dean

Edited by IntheMood

I think a lot of people tend to search for some non-existent utopian solution for Open Class in which, all of a sudden, a huge fan base for the drum corps grow and all their monetary woes somehow disappear. The bottom line is, that won't happen. Open Class drum corps need start getting their act together, run more efficiently, purchase solid equipment, fund well-supplied tours, and provide a product that captures audience attention, especially the eyes and ears of potential marchers. That's the bad news.

The good news is, this seems to be happening. In watching open class, yes the amount of corps has been shrinking, but that seems to have stabilized. What we have now is a situation where corps that don't have the money, stay within their boundaries and don't attend finals. Look at Impulse, they've played it smart and, fortunately for them, they've started seing competitive success this year that eluded them in many years past. Corps that do go to finals go fully prepared. How about the Blue Saint's diesel food truck? Not too shabby for a corps their size. And have you guys seen Forte's uniforms? Those guys look sharp.

At the end of the day, DCI has done a lot of good for the Open Class. They've created an atmosphere where, if they aren't fit to succeed completely, they do not go out at all, and that has done wonders for the financial stability of these drum corps. Yes, corps still fail, but are those failing corps doing it right? Probably not. Do we want that? Again, probably not. But it's not the end of the world. Rather, it's the opposite. The future of open class looks very bright. And, if it's one thing that drum corps teaches us, it is to set up a system that allows for nothing but greatness, and develop consistency in all our actions to that we may one day achieve that greatness. Great drum corps are not built in a single day, not even if your last name is Cook.

No one seems to taking into account what the kids will decide to do. Will they remain loyal and stick with the g seven or do otherwise? I don't think it is a guarantee that the level of quality will remain.