2000 - 2010 , what have we learned?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So you think the demolition of the regional circuits have had zero impact on corps survival?

You also believe that a full 2 month national tour was in the best interest of every corps and their bottom line?

You also feel that every rule change that has taken place since then has had nothing but a positive effect on drum corps as a whole?

The regional circuits failed because they could not provide an acceptable competitive environment to enough corps.

Corps do not have to tour for two months straight. There are corps today that do not yet compete in World class.

This isn't Monday Morning Quarterback .. this is 13 years after the fact ........ and watching over 20 corps die since 2000. BTW, that's about 33% of the active corps that perished in the past 10 years. I would say that with shrinkage like that, and the planned shrinkage of the G7 plan ..... the non G7 Directors did the absolute right thing in taking over the BoD. Now all I can do is pray that they UNDO some of the damage that has already been done. Losing 1/3 of your businesses in 10 years is FAILURE!!!!! No matter how you want to look at it ... that is not success.

Again, corps that fail are not the responsibility of DCI. As for the G7, IMO DCI so far has done the right thing yet again.

Aqua

Also FREEEEDOOOOOOOOOOM

The regional circuits failed because they could not provide an acceptable competitive environment to enough corps.

Corps do not have to tour for two months straight. There are corps today that do not yet compete in World class.

Again, corps that fail are not the responsibility of DCI.

Hogwash ............

Is it still an unknown truth that the regional circuits were killed by DCI (the internal meetings with the executive BoD ... whereas, they refused to compete in the circuits in order to kill attendance, then took over the circuits in order to take the best venues (Don't worry, we'll fix things and then hand it back when it's in better shape), then handed the circuits back to the original organizations ....... with ZERO left to work with). It was a systematic termination/demolition of those organizations ........ it had nothing to do with competitive environments.

Point 2, if DCI does such a full review of the corps in order for them to tour in World Class, why aren't they listening to the corps who are struggling in order to make change that helps to keep them solvent and successful? With regards to Open Class, how can you blame DCI when all they've done is turn their backs on that class of corps altogether? Show me where 1 positive thing has been done by the BoD with regards to Open Class ?

Hogwash ............

Is it still an unknown truth that the regional circuits were killed by DCI (the internal meetings with the executive BoD ... whereas, they refused to compete in the circuits in order to kill attendance, then took over the circuits in order to take the best venues (Don't worry, we'll fix things and then hand it back when it's in better shape), then handed the circuits back to the original organizations ....... with ZERO left to work with). It was a systematic termination/demolition of those organizations ........ it had nothing to do with competitive environments.

Unkown truth??? They refused to compete someplace that was not providing them with the best experience for their marching members.

Point 2, if DCI does such a full review of the corps in order for them to tour in World Class, why aren't they listening to the corps who are struggling in order to make change that helps to keep them solvent and successful? With regards to Open Class, how can you blame DCI when all they've done is turn their backs on that class of corps altogether? Show me where 1 positive thing has been done by the BoD with regards to Open Class ?

They DO listen to corps to make sure they survive...all corps do not march a full season on tour. Look at attendance at Open class shows, from my reading here. DCI is, as they should, subsidizing the Open class by using proceeds from the World class. I engaged in a nice Email exchange with a DCI board member a few years back that discussed this among other things. I don't expect you to believe me based on my say-so, but the exchange I had convinced me to my own satisfaction.

How can an organization based on fraternal and brotherly cooperation for the success of all organizations claim NO FAULT at the death of 1/3 of the activity in 10 years when they are the ones rewriting the rules that directly affect the health and longevity of their brother and sister organizations?

128 to 135 to 150 = death for the have-not's

ran at least 5 years without letting OC corps mix with WC shows = death

no regional circuits to foster growth and lower touring budgets = death

Addition of A&E expenses on lower budget/smaller corps = death (both financially and competitively)

Removal of top 25 profit sharing / disallowing Open class to compete with WC at Quarterfinals = DEATH

Every rule change and action of the DCI BoD since 2000 has been to the detriment of the activity itself ...... of course the big dogs flourished ... but not the little guy. Every response you've given Mike, has show a mindset of Elitism .................. I just don't understand you Sir.

Yes, DCI killed DCM. There was nothing shady about it. DCI convinced certain corps that it could bring them bigger audiences and more revenue, this corps accepted DCI's offer and proceeded with the dismantlement of DCM. We forget that circuits like DCI and DCM are businesses that are/were in competition with one another. DCI simply out-competed DCM and the other regional circuits. From a business standpoint, there's nothing wrong with what DCI did. Now it was a cold-hearted move that resulted in the deaths of several corps. You can dance around that fact all you want, but it won't go away. From the standpoint of the health of the activity as a whole, it was a disaster, but remember that DCI is not concerned with promoting interests of the activity as a whole, but only with promoting its own interests (and DCM and the other defunct circuits were little different).