Madison Scouts 2011

Point proven again. Peace

No, not until you get some cojones and answer the question, lol... tongue.gif

Which part -- the part about the Scouts exciting a crowd (which I agreed with heartily), or the part that insulted anyone who bothers to use their head a little (which was plain freaking stupid, ignorant, unnecessary, and hurtful)?

Ummmm...not really sure where you got "stupid, ignorant or hurtful" out of what I said. OR the part about "insulting anyone who bothers to use their head." There definitely ARE a lot of self-proclaimed "intellectuals" on DCP. Just ask them. They'll tell you how it's all gonna shake out. A surprising number of whom have never marched, believe it or not. It's an elitist attitude and almost seems as if they think that going to a drum corps show should be like solving some kind of riddle.

NEWSFLASH!!: The majority of the butts in the seats aren't music professors or art critics. Most of them weren't music majors in college, either. They're just regular folks from all walks of life who just happen to enjoy or have some connection to the activity.

If we're just doing this to impress each other, then this activity ain't gonna survive much longer. At least with the Madison Scouts, the majority of those people know they are gonna get what they paid to see...exciting, engaging, unapologetic, in-your-face drum corps.

And of that, I'm darn proud. :cool:

Edited by BigBadMadMan
  • Like 3

No standstill. Trip to ground zero, yes.

I remember watching tv when the planes hit the tower never for get.

Haters gonna hate. But what always cracks me up is they almost always include "I'm actually a Scout fan from way back" or "I've always loved the Scouts, BUT (insert random slam here)." lol It's a common disarming statement to try to lend credence to their point. You hear it a LOT on talk radio.

But the point is, there are things about the Scouts that we like. They don't have to be the same things for everybody. Doesn't make the differences wrong, just different. To borrow from the "Traditions" thread, the Scouts reestablished their brand in 2010. That brand is entertaining, engaging shows with music that is accessible and exciting without necessarily having to be cerebral...and executed at a high level. Look at 2003 as am example. Benoit Jutras who?? There wasn't a shred of "recognizable" music in that show, save one phrase of "The Way We Were". But that show knocked it out of the park and really got the crowd involved.

There are always gonna be haters. And right here on DCP, you'll find plenty. Not so many in the crowds at shows, however. :cool:

First, many thanks for your thoughtful reply -- I've gotten a LOT of slams for what I wrote to you from some other writers here already. smile.gif

I'm overjoyed that the Scouts seem to be re-discovering themselves, and can't wait to see their special mojo working even better this next few years (I'm personally hoping for a re-birth of "Strawberry Soup"...lol..). I love getting fired-up by a great show, and have always felt that Madison, historically, has had a real Midas touch for sophisticated, swinging shows, played with both insane firepower, and consummate style.

And, in spite of spending 4 years of my life in a hoity-toity music school, I've never once heard anyone, "intellectual" or not, begging for a purely "cerebral" drum corps show.

Believe it or not, everybody likes a thriller done well. We're on the very same page, boss.

thumbup.gif

• Like 1

Madison is going to medal now? (facepalm) we shall see. Itd be cool to see them beat out one of the power 3, but its just not likely guys. However, excited to see them at DCI Atlanta!!!! Whooooo

Again, it's not worth getting worked up about people's hopes and random feelings. The Scouts have already traveled from 15th to 6th or so in two years, so at this point, I wouldn't be surprised, with the power of their design team, if they took over the White House and proclaimed a national Madison Scouts holiday. No one knows any more than anyone else about where they'll end up :tongue:

Re: IanKShields, I actually sympathize with your argument and I think both sides need to calm down a bit and realize that you don't agree on the definitions of the words you're arguing over. To the defense, "intellectual" is a positive word meaning a learned person and someone who appreciates the arts, but to the other side, "intellectual" is meaning someone who is full of their ego and thinks they know more than everybody else. I think it's wrong to talk badly about the definition 1 intellectuals and I don't think they can be begrudged anything for wanting to know more, but the definition 2 intellectuals can shove off. :thumbs-up:

• Like 1

Again, it's not worth getting worked up about people's hopes and random feelings. The Scouts have already traveled from 15th to 6th or so in two years, so at this point, I wouldn't be surprised, with the power of their design team, if they took over the White House and proclaimed a national Madison Scouts holiday. No one knows any more than anyone else about where they'll end up :tongue:

Re: IanKShields, I actually sympathize with your argument and I think both sides need to calm down a bit and realize that you don't agree on the definitions of the words you're arguing over. To the defense, "intellectual" is a positive word meaning a learned person and someone who appreciates the arts, but to the other side, "intellectual" is meaning someone who is full of their ego and thinks they know more than everybody else. I think it's wrong to talk badly about the definition 1 intellectuals and I don't think they can be begrudged anything for wanting to know more, but the definition 2 intellectuals can shove off. :thumbs-up:

That's why I put "intellectuals" in quotes...and specifically said "self-proclaimed 'intellectuals'". lol Nothing wrong with being intellectual. I was referring to the ones who want to temper the enthusiasm and lecture us on why we're dumb and just don't understand the complexities of drum corps (puhleeeease). :tongue:

• Like 1

But it would be so cool to hear New York New York and Empire State of Mind bouncing out of a canyon of concrete and glass....

That's why I put "intellectuals" in quotes...and specifically said "self-proclaimed 'intellectuals'". lol Nothing wrong with being intellectual. I was referring to the ones who want to temper the enthusiasm and lecture us on why we're dumb and just don't understand the complexities of drum corps (puhleeeease). :tongue:

How about a little humility and greatfullness for the corps success after some not so awe inspiring years gezzzzzzzzz..thank heavens most here know you DONT speak for the Scouts :blink:

Good Luck Scouts 2011

Edited by GUARDLING