Madison Scouts 2011

Ok - I am extremely new to Drum Corps, and the parent of a current Madison Scout. Don't go crazy on me - I am sensitive! satisfied.gif

I have been trying to get up to speed on this activity, and there is much to learn! I have read everything I can about DCI, Judging, TOC, G7, Electronics/No Electronics, Sync Rights, and taking in the alumni arm chair quarterbacking. Don't get me wrong as far as the alumni goes, you guys do have experience and provide much insight for new people - so it has value, but in some cases it seems harsh to a newcomer.

I have been trying to grasp the situation with scores. From a new perspective, I ask, who cares about any of the scores? Is winning most important in this activity? I know if MS were "winning" - I would be totally proud and happy. But they aren't and I am really just as proud and happy. So, I am trying to figure out why so many focus on the scores more than the performance? Honestly, there are corps in the 12-15th spot that are very entertaining and have great shows! In my very humble opinion, a corps that connects with the crowd IS the winner. I think several shows this year are the winner, and most of them are not in 1st -5th.

If the music/show stirs emotion, and has a crowd excited and entertained, then what else do you hope to achieve from a performance? I agree that the top corps are technically amazing, and all of them deserve to be praised for that. But, if they fail to move the majority of the crowd, then the scores reflecting technical perfection aren't telling the whole story. That is why I wonder about the scores. DCI scoring is about technical perfection, which is fine. I just think there is so much more going on down on the field to be considered that isn't reflected in the current scoring (affecting many corps) and that is too bad. I guess this is how and why the 'banter' goes on - this is a matter of opinion among the members here.

Bravo to each and every corps member for being amazing performers, driven and talented young men and women. You have very much to be proud of!

• Like 2

Ok - I am extremely new to Drum Corps, and the parent of a current Madison Scout. Don't go crazy on me - I am sensitive! satisfied.gif

I have been trying to get up to speed on this activity, and there is much to learn! I have read everything I can about DCI, Judging, TOC, G7, Electronics/No Electronics, Sync Rights, and taking in the alumni arm chair quarterbacking. Don't get me wrong as far as the alumni goes, you guys do have experience and provide much insight for new people - so it has value, but in some cases it seems harsh to a newcomer.

I have been trying to grasp the situation with scores. From a new perspective, I ask, who cares about any of the scores? Is winning most important in this activity? I know if MS were "winning" - I would be totally proud and happy. But they aren't and I am really just as proud and happy. So, I am trying to figure out why so many focus on the scores more than the performance? Honestly, there are corps in the 12-15th spot that are very entertaining and have great shows! In my very humble opinion, a corps that connects with the crowd IS the winner. I think several shows this year are the winner, and most of them are not in 1st -5th.

If the music/show stirs emotion, and has a crowd excited and entertained, then what else do you hope to achieve from a performance? I agree that the top corps are technically amazing, and all of them deserve to be praised for that. But, if they fail to move the majority of the crowd, then the scores reflecting technical perfection aren't telling the whole story. That is why I wonder about the scores. DCI scoring is about technical perfection, which is fine. I just think there is so much more going on down on the field to be considered that isn't reflected in the current scoring (affecting many corps) and that is too bad. I guess this is how and why the 'banter' goes on - this is a matter of opinion among the members here.

Bravo to each and every corps member for being amazing performers, driven and talented young men and women. You have very much to be proud of!

The competition & entertainment aspects of Drum Corps are both important but ultimately it is a competition so there must be winners & losers.

Imagine Drum Corps as a professional sport. Some teams play better because they either attract better players or they have a better management team, DCI is no different.

Scouts should keep doing what they're doing, that's why we love them.

Welcome to DCP!

Edited by 3rd Glasgow BB

First of all, welcome. Secondly, by it's very nature, this is a competitive activity. Your placement affects your money and your performance order the next year, so it's in your best interest to score well. The idealism is great, but unless this becomes an exhibition-only activity, you still have to compete. Which, incidentally, is good because life is all about competition.

And finally, everyone always speaks as if the two are mutually exclusive. You can be entertaining OR you can score well. Why? Ideally, you should be able to do both. So there's nothing wrong with striving after perfection. The entertainment value of a show is laid out waaaay before they are even worrying about scores, so that part should never be an issue.

:smile:

:smile: I got up real early yesterday and pulled up the Fan Network, it was all screwed up video wise but the show was played music wise. The whole show. It was odd, it actually was the 1st time I listened to it without watching it. I still got goosebumps. Good luck your final week. Max it out Men, the show is great! Keep them smiling. It is what it is.

GO! MADISON SCOUTS!

Edited by thirdcoast

Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but in the opener (and that huge chord at the end of the opener), it seems like the corp's volume is getting a HUGE boost from electronics. Specifically, it seems like a synth is holding a huge low note. I know they're marching a lot of tubas, so I hope it's NOT the case as MS always has such a huge natural sound.

Anyone know what the story is?

• Like 1

It's good to see parents of Scouts buying into the attitude of the Corps. Of course scores are important in this activity but it is by no means the only way to judge how "successful" a corps is in that year. If you spend the entire summer only worrying about your placement your going to miss out on a lot of things that make this activity and being a Madison Scout so great. I was a part of probably the lowest scoring Madison Scouts shows when connecting to the crowd was the only victory we had on the field but 5-10-15 years later the only things that really matter are the brothers I made along the way and the fact that I know each and every day we worked as hard as we could to do the best with what had been given to us.

It's not going to matter what they score at the end of the year or what placement they have because people are going to remember this show. I couldn't care less at this point where they end up because I am extremely proud with the way this Drum Corps has recovered over the last two years.

• Like 1

Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but in the opener (and that huge chord at the end of the opener), it seems like the corp's volume is getting a HUGE boost from electronics. Specifically, it seems like a synth is holding a huge low note. I know they're marching a lot of tubas, so I hope it's NOT the case as MS always has such a huge natural sound.

Anyone know what the story is?

sorry u got a negative, this can be a harsh place but much of there sound is very natural.