Madison Scouts 2011

WTF? Madison now in 10th? I can't believe these scores. No particular scores jump out at you, everything is scoring low ... drums in 13th, horns in 9th, color guard in 10th, I was hoping after the guys rebuilt the wall of sound we would see the corps steadly climb back to power like in the mid 90s.

The fans loves Madison, the judges don't ... I have never have understood that dynamic. I have mixed emoitions this year ... did the design team let the corps down, did the staff let the guys down in the exection of teaching the parts or does Madison not yet have the talent to make a seroius move back into the top 5.

What I thought was such a great beginning has turned out to be a disappointment as far as score go. I know I know many of the Madison purest don't care about the scores ... but scores equal talent pool, souvie sales and money from DCI. Madison has been down the 10th place to 11th place to 15th place road before. What does the corps have to do to get back moving in a forward direction in placement?

In my opinion, this year has been a disappointment - no ground gained.

• Like 3

I'm pleased to see the Corps look and sound much stronger than last year. My kids love the Scouts. If my boy decides to march Corps I bet he will try out for The Madison Scouts.

• Like 1

Concerto for Guitar and Jazz Orchestra

Remembrance

Funny

Ice Castles

20chrismlgl.jpg

WTF? Madison now in 10th? I can't believe these scores. No particular scores jump out at you, everything is scoring low ... drums in 13th, horns in 9th, color guard in 10th, I was hoping after the guys rebuilt the wall of sound we would see the corps steadly climb back to power like in the mid 90s.

The fans loves Madison, the judges don't ... I have never have understood that dynamic. I have mixed emoitions this year ... did the design team let the corps down, did the staff let the guys down in the exection of teaching the parts or does Madison not yet have the talent to make a seroius move back into the top 5.

What I thought was such a great beginning has turned out to be a disappointment as far as score go. I know I know many of the Madison purest don't care about the scores ... but scores equal talent pool, souvie sales and money from DCI. Madison has been down the 10th place to 11th place to 15th place road before. What does the corps have to do to get back moving in a forward direction in placement?

In my opinion, this year has been a disappointment - no ground gained.

I think that's a bit rough, and kind of a "glass half empty" approach to their season. I think design is a step up from last year (far more complex show idea this year), and the performance quality, other than percussion, seems better to me than last year's corps. To me they seem to perform a bit more mature than last year: kind of like last year was a bunch of guys not quite used to being Finalists, while this year is a corps that performs like they expect to be Finalist, and perform with more confidence and swagger than last year. I think the biggest issue from a placement stand-point is that most of the corps around Madison Scouts have gotten substantially better than last year, while Scouts "only" got a bit better.

The past 5 or 6 years I've made a big point of saying that the current Top 7 = the equivalent of mid 90's Top 5 from a prestige and quality standpoint. Bluecoats are an incredible non-Top 6 corps/show this year! Conversely, I think we're now finally seeing the lower-achieving corps also improve by leaps and bounds. I think we've consistently seen high quality Top 10 corps the last few years, with this year having likely the best Top 10 Finalists DCI has ever seen. It's kind of like this year's Top 10 = mid-90's Top 8 or so: that is to say, the 10th place corps (Scouts, or Blue Knights, or whomever) is on par with previous era's 7th or 8th place corps in quality, where they're aren't quite Top 6 caliber, but not that far off either (think SCV 92, or Crossmen 93).

In that regard, Madison Scouts maintaining 10th place, while everything above them is incredibly high caliber quality, is an achievement. This corps took a heavy show concept, and made it an achievement on both an intellectual and entertainment level.

Not to mention, the design staff is obviously taking small, achievable steps in building Scouts back up to perennial Top 6 (or higher) status. If you remember Star, they started their existence in 10th place, then jumped to 8th, and "hung out" just outside of Top 6 while their staff "struggled" ( don't want that word to come off as not knowing what they're doing, more of a 'intensely scrutinized' maybe) to find the balance between difficult and effective Top 6 book that is achievable for their members. I give kudos to Scouts' team for not jumping to far too quick and designing a show over the members' heads, thus slowing progress. They maintained Top 10, showed they have staying power and aren't going anywhere, and will be able to build on that next year.

And that, my friend, seems like a pretty positive season to me...

• Like 7

Scouts peaked too early, BK and Boston didn't, that's why Scouts are in 10th. Examine the scores over past few weeks. BK and Boston steadily improve while Scouts remained stagnant, prime example of a corps maxing out end of July.

Thanks for chiming in and straightening us all out on the matter Capt obvious. :tongue:

• Like 2

Thanks for chiming in and straightening us all out on the matter Capt obvious. :tongue:

Evidently not too obvious to those who seem unable to comprehend why scores are where the are. It happens, Scouts are better this year than last, but could get the same placement. They'll likely be even better next year, and could still be in 10th.

• Like 2

In that regard, Madison Scouts maintaining 10th place, while everything above them is incredibly high caliber quality, is an achievement. This corps took a heavy show concept, and made it an achievement on both an intellectual and entertainment level.

Not to mention, the design staff is obviously taking small, achievable steps in building Scouts back up to perennial Top 6 (or higher) status. If you remember Star, they started their existence in 10th place, then jumped to 8th, and "hung out" just outside of Top 6 while their staff "struggled" ( don't want that word to come off as not knowing what they're doing, more of a 'intensely scrutinized' maybe) to find the balance between difficult and effective Top 6 book that is achievable for their members. I give kudos to Scouts' team for not jumping to far too quick and designing a show over the members' heads, thus slowing progress. They maintained Top 10, showed they have staying power and aren't going anywhere, and will be able to build on that next year.

Hear, hear! :thumbup:

I think that's a bit rough, and kind of a "glass half empty" approach to their season. I think design is a step up from last year (far more complex show idea this year), and the performance quality, other than percussion, seems better to me than last year's corps. To me they seem to perform a bit more mature than last year: kind of like last year was a bunch of guys not quite used to being Finalists, while this year is a corps that performs like they expect to be Finalist, and perform with more confidence and swagger than last year. I think the biggest issue from a placement stand-point is that most of the corps around Madison Scouts have gotten substantially better than last year, while Scouts "only" got a bit better.

The past 5 or 6 years I've made a big point of saying that the current Top 7 = the equivalent of mid 90's Top 5 from a prestige and quality standpoint. Bluecoats are an incredible non-Top 6 corps/show this year! Conversely, I think we're now finally seeing the lower-achieving corps also improve by leaps and bounds. I think we've consistently seen high quality Top 10 corps the last few years, with this year having likely the best Top 10 Finalists DCI has ever seen. It's kind of like this year's Top 10 = mid-90's Top 8 or so: that is to say, the 10th place corps (Scouts, or Blue Knights, or whomever) is on par with previous era's 7th or 8th place corps in quality, where they're aren't quite Top 6 caliber, but not that far off either (think SCV 92, or Crossmen 93).

I JUST VIEWED FAN NETWORK FROM PRELIMS..

Crowd was on their feet well before the end of the show.

THAT is what it's all about.

Go Scouts

• Like 7

Here, here!

The 2011 Scouts should be nothing but proud of their performance and product this year! Like the above poster said, they held their ground in one of the toughest competative seasons in recent memory. There are still issues to be addressed going forward, but not in the sense of having failed this year. Only in terms of growth and improvement....sustainable growth and improvement!

Congratulations to the staff and members of the 2011 Madison Scouts! :worthy:

Edited by madalumni