Will BD and SCV have any California shows

How is 4 of the top 12 pathetic? A LOT of other areas dont even get that. During that period of time, the other 8 are typically split between east coast and midwest tours (and not all of them are at every show in those areas, obviously). As i said earlier, i dont argue the fact that it sucks for the west coast that they dont get any later season coverage, but short of moving finals back out there (please not the rose bowl again, that place sucked!), or having a really janky and expensive tour schedule, thats not really going to change very easily. Any corps that goes west takes away from a corps in the midwest and east, and there are a lot of shows that need covered that would be shorted by the west coast having more corps out there. Prior to the minneapolis show coming in this year, the last few years we'd had the tour swing through the plains states during week one of tour and never come back through again. No better than what CA got. If you think of the pre-regional part of the season as 3 'regions', west, east, and midwest, 4 finalists per region is an equal allocation.

It is pathetic because what ever percentage of the population that lives west of the sierras never sees a lot of top corps. It is also pathetic because at least 2 of the perennial top corps are within 45 miles of each other in the bay area of Nocal. Not sure what percentage of the actual WC corps are here in the west, but they suck hind ### as well.

As for the other shows, are there any shows within a 28 hour drive that would allow most of the top 12? The easy answer is yes. Things kind of suck for our friends in Miami, but they can make a 11 hour drive and see the Atlanta show. No one on the east coast can really complain a lot with shows in Allentown, and even Indy is around the same 11 hour drive. But, Indy is 3 days or at least 2 flights from Ca. The "tour" just is not west coast friendly. BTW, that 28 hour drive will get me from the bay area to San Antonio. Indy is farther.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But youre talking about the lack of late-tour support. For early tour, where tours have always been more regional 4 of the top 12 is more than fair. Add to that the fact that you point out, 2 of those are consistently at the top. If they dont have their shows ready, go to them with your complaints. That always amazes me when a wc corps, that has weather that allows outdoor rehearsals all offseason, can't get their show on the field, when corps that are snowed in until april can.

And the fact is, getting out to CA in the later tour is a logistical nightmare, and just isnt going to happen. Where do you squeeze that in and still get back to one of the other regionals?

You mention the population... that doesnt really apply. The tour has to be set up more to cover geographic areas, not population areas. For higher population areas, you then look at bigger stadiums to cover more people in that area.

Edited by AlexL

As for the other shows, are there any shows within a 28 hour drive that would allow most of the top 12? The easy answer is yes. Things kind of suck for our friends in Miami, but they can make a 11 hour drive and see the Atlanta show.

Who would drive 11 hours to get to a drum corps show? Only I am that crazy.

No one on the east coast can really complain a lot with shows in Allentown, and even Indy is around the same 11 hour drive. But, Indy is 3 days or at least 2 flights from Ca. The "tour" just is not west coast friendly. BTW, that 28 hour drive will get me from the bay area to San Antonio. Indy is farther.

Bear in mind that this 28-hour drive (minimum) is what you are asking these corps to do in order to attend Western shows.

Knowing the plight of Western fans, though, I do hope the 2013 championship site reaches out in your direction.

Knowing the plight of Western fans, though, I do hope the 2013 championship site reaches out in your direction.

I'm hoping for Denver. I know its not 'west coast'... but its closer (and west coast folks correct me, im guessing a fairly decently priced flight, since Denver is one of the major connection hubs you always end up laying over in between east and west), and a fantastic venue.

Definitely no rose bowl again. That place sucked.

Edited by AlexL

I'm hoping for Denver. I know its not 'west coast'... but its closer (and west coast folks correct me, im guessing a fairly decently priced flight, since Denver is one of the major connection hubs you always end up laying over in between east and west), and a fantastic venue.

Definitely no rose bowl again. That place sucked.

Denver or somewhere like San Francisco would be ideal...#### socal

But youre talking about the lack of late-tour support. For early tour, where tours have always been more regional 4 of the top 12 is more than fair. Add to that the fact that you point out, 2 of those are consistently at the top. If they dont have their shows ready, go to them with your complaints. That always amazes me when a wc corps, that has weather that allows outdoor rehearsals all offseason, can't get their show on the field, when corps that are snowed in until april can.

And the fact is, getting out to CA in the later tour is a logistical nightmare, and just isnt going to happen. Where do you squeeze that in and still get back to one of the other regionals?

You mention the population... that doesnt really apply. The tour has to be set up more to cover geographic areas, not population areas. For higher population areas, you then look at bigger stadiums to cover more people in that area.

honestly...and this is a from a guy who gets everyone in Allentown every year...

the West deserves to see more corps and more finals. DCI is almost 40 years old. Denver has had finals 3 times. California once.

Madison? 85,86,87,92,99,02,06

Indiana? 08-10.

that's 10 times in the midwest in 40 years. the south? 83 Miami, 84 Atlanta, 91 Dallas, 93 Jackson, orlando 96-98, 03. thats 8.

so 18 times for the midwest and south, 4 for the west, the rest in the East. Yeah, really, the West has been ####ed.

Interesting take. So, logistics for the west coast corps don't matter as much. As I have stated a bunch of times, MOVE THE REGIONALS AND FINALS AROUND.

The populations does not matter!? That may be the most arrogant or foolish statement that I have read in years. As for geographic areas, that is almost a joke. Not sure how else to take it. The west is part of the US, we don't end at Denver. I keep reading how DCI is hurting for fans, and you state that population does not matter. Where will those fans originate? I know,

Let's move all the shows to Indy and a 200 mile radius around that city... Tour would be easy, and the fan base could the the indy/chicago/east area.

Come on, think before you post. My comments about not being ready was an indictment of the schedule. not the corps. As for it not happening, well, that is one of my HUGE issues with the current DCI management and thinking.

Interesting take. So, logistics for the west coast corps don't matter as much. As I have stated a bunch of times, MOVE THE REGIONALS AND FINALS AROUND.

The populations does not matter!? That may be the most arrogant or foolish statement that I have read in years. As for geographic areas, that is almost a joke. Not sure how else to take it. The west is part of the US, we don't end at Denver. I keep reading how DCI is hurting for fans, and you state that population does not matter. Where will those fans originate? I know,

Let's move all the shows to Indy and a 200 mile radius around that city... Tour would be easy, and the fan base could the the indy/chicago/east area.

Come on, think before you post. My comments about not being ready was an indictment of the schedule. not the corps. As for it not happening, well, that is one of my HUGE issues with the current DCI management and thinking.

The population factor doesnt matter as much when you're planning a tour to cover the maximum amount of fans at least once. You pop a show into a city, and you can cover a larger demand by having a larger stadium. 90% of fans (the kind that didnt march drum corps) will be #### impressed with shows whether they see them in june or august. You have 2 months to expose as wide of a geographic area as possible to the tour. The most efficient way to do this is to have a tour that covers wide areas, and then adjusts for levels of demand with larger or smaller stadiums.

The population factor doesnt matter as much when you're planning a tour to cover the maximum amount of fans at least once. You pop a show into a city, and you can cover a larger demand by having a larger stadium. 90% of fans (the kind that didnt march drum corps) will be #### impressed with shows whether they see them in june or august. You have 2 months to expose as wide of a geographic area as possible to the tour. The most efficient way to do this is to have a tour that covers wide areas, and then adjusts for levels of demand with larger or smaller stadiums.

Alex...you want to hit a wide amount of fans in a short time?

do 10 days in Cali leading to finals.

Alex...you want to hit a wide amount of fans in a short time?

do 10 days in Cali leading to finals.

And how does that hit more fans than geographically well-placed shows in larger stadiums over a few days? Especially when you're talking about adding a huge additional expense to at least 15 of the 23 corps. As i said in my last post... to the 99% of fans (especially new initiates) that didnt march and havent been spoiled (read: those not on DCP) those june shows still meet the need.

Edited by AlexL