Will BD and SCV have any California shows

Alex, since I have picked on you here. I want to publicly thank you for the map. :tongue:

Definitely north east dominant.

Now, show the map where 6 of the top 12 are. All of the west disappears.

Then show a map where we have the official DCI tour, where corps are required to play. Oops, Bet the west disappears.

My take is that the only reason that we have shows on the west coast is that the home corps put them on. Certainly, not much love from DCI shown there. But, if the corp directors are actually pulling the strings at DCI, then i guess that it is a form of competition NOT to embrace the west for whatever reason given.

um...what area of the country has the most corps?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm positive the Blue Devils and Vanguard will perform in as many shows on the West Coast as we always do, maybe even one or two additional....hopefully with a few friends from the east/midwest! :tongue:

Hope that you are right. But, as for the additional and the friends from the east/midwest, don't hold your breath.

Southern California, probably

All Age: SoCal Dream

Open: City Sound, Gold, Impulse, VK

World: PC

That's 6 within about a 60 mile radius (probably smaller, actually)

Unknown: Kingsmen Jr. (in the planning), Mystikal (what's their status??), Incognito (down for '10...possibly coming back '11), En Garde (looking at a 2011 start...just started laying the necessary groundwork), Kingsmen Sr (unknown if they're going to try to come out again, however)

If everyone was to come out, that would be 11 in a 60 mile radius.

Another likely deep area would probably be the northeast...someone more familiar with that area could tell if there are 6 corps in a 60 mile radius, although I'd suspect there'd be more all ages in that group.

Jeff, I don't know. Are you including all corps? If so, the bay area has 6. SCV, SCVC, Renegade and the 3 BD Corps. Sac has 2, modesto folded. that is all within 90 miles. SoCal covered in an earlier post, but I think that he added in 6 more. Then, at least 2 more in the northwest. I could not say about the rest of the country, but we are pretty well represented.

Edited by ajwdad

Jeff, I don't know. Are you including all corps? If so, the bay area has 6. SCV, SCVC, Renegade and the 3 BD Corps. Sac has 2, modesto folded. that is all within 90 miles. SoCal covered in an earlier post, but I think that he added in 6 more. Then, at least 2 more in the northwest. I could not say about the rest of the country, but we are pretty well represented.

I suspect if you covered an east coast stretch the same size of California, you'd end up with a lot of corps. My point was the most corps in a very small region....not an entire large state.

SAC has 2?? Who besides Mandarins? River City Regiment folded a few years back...or are you counting Freelancers??

which ones did we kill in Indy? I can't remember :tongue:

I think some of the faster ones died that night too. That was a rough night.

I suspect if you covered an east coast stretch the same size of California, you'd end up with a lot of corps.

Indeed. A big reason you see that concentrated band running from wisconsin through NJ is the number of top corps up there. (Not to leave the other corps out, but we know that even without the g7 thing the top 6 and finalist corps drive a lot of the scheduling.)

In a similar distance east-west as cali goes n-s, you have these 8 2010 finalists:

Blue Stars

Madison

Cavaliers

Phantom

Bluecoats

Glassmen

Boston

Cadets

You also have

Pioneer

Colts (on the fringe of it)

Jersey Surf

and the original home of the Crossmen.

This may play as big a role as anything in the makeup of that map. Might be interesting to see it from Minneapolis onwards.

Edited by AlexL

for this discussion, WC and OC

I suspect if you covered an east coast stretch the same size of California, you'd end up with a lot of corps. My point was the most corps in a very small region....not an entire large state.

SAC has 2?? Who besides Mandarins? River City Regiment folded a few years back...or are you counting Freelancers??

Actually Freelancers. They did an Encore this year in SoCal. Not marching yet. Got me there.

Could be, we are talking about a 350 mile stretch, The top of the state above Concord does not have a corp. Not sure about San Diego.