Pioneer

I have to say how impressive it is to have all this great talk about PIONEER! I sure hope this transfers to a really great season and alot more positive outcomes in the future. You all could (should) be the feel good story of 2011, keep up the good work.

Better Every Day, great words to live by.

Yes, the headgear is unique. I don't dislike it. I was referring to the incorporation of it into any kind of branding Pioneer does. When compared to what other corps do with logos and branding, this simply looks cartoonish and amateurish. I doubt whether it is any kind of draw for potential members.

Okay, let's see a show of hands: How many of you marching members out there went to your corps because you thought they had a neat/hip/spiffy/zowie/shebang/whoop-dee-doo/cool/boss logo?

The Celtic cross that tops off the spire of St. Patrick's church on the Southside is an iconic image that seems to be missing from the Celebrate! logo or any other branding Pioneer does. My beef is that something of that stature is so much more impressive than incorporating the corps' headgear into any sort of logo. While that did work for the Cadets awhile back with their shako, the graphics were much more refined. I'll reserve further judgement until I see the finished product. Thanks for the clarification.

I definitely see where you're coming from, but to a certain extent the use of the headgear as the corps logo is here to stay for at least the immediate future. As I sit here tonight there's a paper cube with the Pioneer hat logo on it sitting right in front of me. The last mail that I got from the office came in an envelope that prominently featured the hat logo as part of the return address. The most recent additions to the corps' fleet of vehicles have had the hat logo put on them instead of the old two shamrock design. Even the DCI website and DCP now use the hat logo as the official corps logo. A significant amount of capital has been to establish the headgear as the corps' official logo. As such, I think it's safe to say that it's hear to stay for a while. And in that role and with respect, it ultimately deserves a spot on the corps recruitment materials, souvenirs, and other promotional materials.

Okay, let's see a show of hands: How many of you marching members out there went to your corps because you thought they had a neat/hip/spiffy/zowie/shebang/whoop-dee-doo/cool/boss logo?

Probably not a lot... But one of the key things in marketing any business is brand recognition. I remember sitting in a class once where they showed a slide show of different company's logos. Most logos were instantly recognized by my classmates, but others were less widely known because they weren't unique or they were unclear. It's all about creating a logo/image that people will remember. Based off of that, there's not a lot of people that are going to get our logo confused with any other corps or group. Whether that's good or bad, well I guess you could say that's still up for debate!

Edited by PioneerWebmaster

How many of you consumers out there bought something because it had a neat/hip/spiffy/zowie/shebang/whoop-dd-doo/cool/boss logo?

I definitely see where you're coming from, but to a certain extent the use of the headgear as the corps logo is here to stay for at least the immediate future. As I sit here tonight there's a paper cube with the Pioneer hat logo on it sitting right in front of me. The last mail that I got from the office came in an envelope that prominently featured the hat logo as part of the return address. The most recent additions to the corps' fleet of vehicles have had the hat logo put on them instead of the old two shamrock design. Even the DCI website and DCP now use the hat logo as the official corps logo. A significant amount of capital has been to establish the headgear as the corps' official logo. As such, I think it's safe to say that it's hear to stay for a while. And in that role and with respect, it ultimately deserves a spot on the corps recruitment materials, souvenirs, and other promotional materials.

I'll give it a rest. Like I said earlier, I don't dislike the headgear. I would love to see more of those hats out on the turf next Summer. Say, 120.

Can't say that the uniform itself had any impact on my desire to march with SCV. But, the fact that of my three years there ('90-'92), one was with white tunics ('91) and another was without an Ausie ('92) is slightly bittersweet.

I totally understand someone feeling strongly about their corps' uniforms from head to toe.

Alright. So, I keep hearing all of these staff announcements and I look forward with anticipation towards this next season for Pioneer and "Celebrate".

I hope nothing but the best for them.

Just keep truly getting better everyday!

I look forward to 2011!

All in all, am I disappointed that Pioneer did not finish higher? Of course, as I am sure every fan is. :thumbup:

BUT, I am very proud of Pioneer starting to make some changes, hopefully, for the better. :devil:

Whatever happens, Pioneer just needs to continue to look up. This could mean many changes down the road with staff, equipment, transportation, unis, music, themes, etc.

I think that most of us would agree that we would just like to see Pioneer continue with forging ahead instead of taking any steps back right now.

I know that it is not all about scoring, but, it helps. Even just from a morale standpoint as a member, when you are constantly getting beat up by other corps, it does put a damper on your spirits.

What is the next step? How do you go from a year that had so many people looking up and very proud of the kids to, unfortunately coming in last again.

Remember, I am just asking questions. I am not blasting anyone. I love Pioneer! I think that they are a great organization and only want the best for them.

So, there have been many posts on what Pio should have done this year, those for and against them. But, what do you feel Pioneer really needs to do to, as some put it, to "be competitive"?

Its gonna be fun watching this Corps move up the ranks in 2011. GO PIONEER!

Its gonna be fun watching this Corps move up the ranks in 2011. GO PIONEER!

It was fun watching them move up through the ranks the first time. I'm looking forward to watching it again. I think they will be the "feel good" story of 2011.

They only had a handful of age outs. 7? Imagine if everyone comes back, they bump up the brass by 10ish and increase the guard by 15 . Totally achievable.