Pioneer

It was fun watching them move up through the ranks the first time. I'm looking forward to watching it again. I think they will be the "feel good" story of 2011.

Blah, blah, blah...I believe there was the same hype for this past season's corps; and look where they ended up.

good luck.

Blah, blah, blah...I believe there was the same hype for this past season's corps; and look where they ended up.

good luck.

Is this schtick? to go with the short 'n sour persona?

Cute - do people find it tiresome?

Just wondering. It seems that it would be tiresome quickly, but who am I to say?

good luck,

good luck.

If you can't say anything nice...say it on the internet. Anonymously.

I think shortn'bitter would be a better screen name for you. Maybe if you had just stopped your comment at the semi-colon you could get away with shortn'sour. After reading your entire comment I would def change it to shortn'bitter.

Edited by warsawstory

Well I'll give you his delivery is a bit harsh, what about his point? It's not as though we haven't been hearing for years now about the "new competitive face of Pioneer they're going to knock your socks off this year..." and then, ahhh nope actually thats the same old Pio. How can people not be expected to roll their eyes at the hype at this point?

I hate when people get all "if you haven't got anything nice to say".

We have to acknowledge reality and approach the fact that Pioneer has been in the bottom year after year. If we keep ignoring this and shrugging it off, it will take until we have a handful of Open Class corps at quarterfinals this season to provide the reality check to Roman and the administration surrounding him. The fact of the matter is that this drum corps is part of a competitive organization. Part of being in this circuit is to actually be competitive. You can be competitive and still have the summer be about the experience.

You want these young adults to perform at a world class level, you have to use a world class program, a world class staff, world class instruments, transportation etc.The philosophy can't be trying to make what worked in 1990s Division II work in 2011 World Class. It simply won't cut it.

The staff has to be just as responsible as they expect the members to be, from the teaching staff up to the Roman, and they have to remember that they are there for the purpose of educating the members on the field and providing them with the tools to be a competitive member of DCI.

If I make one small suggestion, don't have your banquet the night before quarterfinals, I get the whole wanting everyone to be there thing, but there are plenty of options to explore, so as to provide the best focus and energy for both the members and the staff.

Sometimes you just have to call it like it is and address it. I would love to see this organization be competitive on the field and provide a complete World Class experience to their members. I haven't completely read the recent staff announcements for Pioneer this season, but I hope they address these things and have a successful season.

Edited by chambana

We have to acknowledge reality and approach the fact that Pioneer has been in the bottom year after year. If we keep ignoring this and shrugging it off, it will take until we have a handful of Open Class corps at quarterfinals this season to provide the reality check to Roman and the administration surrounding him. The fact of the matter is that this drum corps is part of a competitive organization. Part of being in this circuit is to actually be competitive. You can be competitive and still have the summer be about the experience.

You want these young adults to perform at a world class level, you have to use a world class program, a world class staff, world class instruments, transportation etc.The philosophy can't be trying to make what worked in 1990s Division II work in 2011 World Class. It simply won't cut it.

The staff has to be just as responsible as they expect the members to be, from the teaching staff up to the Roman, and they have to remember that they are there for the purpose of educating the members on the field and providing them with the tools to be a competitive member of DCI.

If I make one small suggestion, don't have your banquet the night before quarterfinals, I get the whole wanting everyone to be there thing, but there are plenty of options to explore, so as to provide the best focus and energy for both the members and the staff.

Sometimes you just have to call it like it is and address it. I would love to see this organization be competitive on the field and provide a complete World Class experience to their members. I haven't completely read the recent staff announcements for Pioneer this season, but I hope they address these things and have a successful season.

You can try all the different cheese graters in the world, but if you use the same cheese, it's still going to taste the same. Pio needs new cheese, not new graters.

Edited by BozzlyB

Perhaps they want to offer the "unique" experience that all the talking heads describe to as actually "drum corps". They seem to be fiscally solvent for the long haul. Proved a place for people that don't make it in other corps. Quite honestly they gave into DCI on AMPS/BUGLES etc. so to say they haven't changed any is silly. The problem with the the whole Pioneer thing isn't Pioneer but rather not ENOUGH Pioneers in a local competitive circuit. The fact everyone can't be a BD or Cavaliers etc shouldn't be the issue, but clearly is for some that couldn't play their way out of a wet paper bag much less run a fiscally solvent corps. I for one thought they were much improved this last year and am HAPPY to sit and watch them perform.

You can try all the different cheese graters in the world, but if you use the same cheese, it's still going to taste the same. Pio needs new cheese, not new graters.

Ok... let's run with this concept for a minute. If you want us to be a different type of cheese, what type do you suggest?

If you recall, the corps did dip into a completely different type of "cheese" back in 2003 with David Holsinger's Song of Moses. What did everybody during and after the season say? Stick to your roots and go back to what you're good at. By most accounts, it was the least popular Pioneer season in the last 17 or 18 years. How about that cheese?

I've offered up my fair share of criticism towards Pioneer on this forum but I stand by my quote.

I just don't like that hit and run attitude some posters have. They spew their negativity and don't offer up anything worthwhile.

After reading your post, I'm surprised you hate my use of a trite old saying. You expressed your opinion with passion and conviction and followed up with what you would like to see done differently. Civilized. Maybe I don't agree with you but I respect that you didn't just hit and run. The main thing is I can tell you care about the activity.

Better Every Day!

Edited by warsawstory

Ok... let's run with this concept for a minute. If you want us to be a different type of cheese, what type do you suggest?

If you recall, the corps did dip into a completely different type of "cheese" back in 2003 with David Holsinger's Song of Moses. What did everybody during and after the season say? Stick to your roots and go back to what you're good at. By most accounts, it was the least popular Pioneer season in the last 17 or 18 years. How about that cheese?

I have to disagree. Let's stick with the cheese analogy. You make it sound like that programming was a stinky cheese. Stinky in a bad way. Well, good cheese stinks. For years Pioneer was a nice, stink free mild cheddar. Everyone enjoyed it. For one year you decided to be a sophisticated, well aged brie. Granted, that didn't work but is that a reason to justify returning to the stodginess in programming we have often witnessed? Every competitive corps out there has had a show that flopped with the audience and judges. I feel the problem with that show was the abrupt stylistic change from one year to the next. Maybe a transitional show would have helped. Much like 2010. If you look at it like I am, the programming was brilliant. A transitional show that the audience really enjoyed. Pioneer can either bump up their game or play it safe. I hope the rumor is true that the Irish Washerwoman has been exorcised from Pioneerland.

Edited by warsawstory