Indianapolis Attendance

I'm not around the DCI people very often as I don't live in Indianapolis, but I do remember hearing at the January meeting the mention that while attendance at the World Championships could be higher, overall attendance at the featured shows resulted in far more fans seeing all the World Class corps than had been the case in the past.

There may well be a cause and effect relationship to this. I don't know if it was anticipated, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't considered. It's kind of a balancing act along the lines of "no good deed goes unpunished." :devil:

More people attending the Regionals, and less attending Finals, could very well end up increasing the overall aggregate of fans buying tickets to DCI events throughout the entire season as well as increasing the overall revenue for DCI. So to say that the fan interest in DCI and the DCI revenue is waning solely on the drop in Finals attendance could be a misnomer.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They don't owe their fans anything. :smile: This is an attendance thread, why is everyone so upset with the request for those numbers. Smart PR? So you are saying the activity is hurting if they don't release their numbers? Why do they release them at baseball games, every game? Not just the good games. Like I said earlier, when you have nothing to hide, you hide nothing. Done with debate, the numbers won't be released and it doesn't matter. :devil:

Allow me to help you here. Major league baseball is different than drum corps in many ways. Off the top of my head...they use bats and a ball, they have 3 bases and a home plate. They have innings. Also, they are for profit. Their athletes are paid millions of dollars.

That's just off the top of my head.

Short format...baseball does not equal drum corps.

Allow me to help you here. Major league baseball is different than drum corps in many ways. Off the top of my head...they use bats and a ball, they have 3 bases and a home plate. They have innings. Also, they are for profit. Their athletes are paid millions of dollars.

That's just off the top of my head.

Short format...baseball does not equal drum corps.

Color it any way you want, it still isn't hard to know how many people came through your gates. How many tickets sold. They don't know this, :devil: really :smile: ? Not a very sound way to conduct business.

Color it any way you want, it still isn't hard to know how many people came through your gates. How many tickets sold. They don't know this, :devil: really :smile: ? Not a very sound way to conduct business.

And let me say again, I suspect that DCI is accumulating attendance numbers for the whole season, and it makes sense to do so considering their recent emphasis on regional shows that finals attendance is less important than the whole season.

Anecdotally, our show, just 10 days ago, got the final tally of attendance and income/expense numbers. And our show was July 11. Regardless of why it took us so long, I can see why it's taking DCI so long to accumulate the season's numbers.

Patience is a virtue. Does it really matter that we have the numbers NOW, and when YOU think they should be available?

The off-season runs for another few months, after all.

Are you serious Boo ? You think fewer people would go to the WS if the teams met before during the season ? Obviously you don't follow sports ! People go for the competition - period.

As to the interest in knowing attendance - there is a negative trend of fewer corps and lower attendance that should be a concern to anyone in DCI. Were yo\u aware that some sponsor contracts with DCI are predicated on attendance totals - thus the reason DCI is not wide open with attendance figures.

DCI corps have reached a pinnacle of excellence in terms of execution - just astounding in many cases - yet as corps get better, attendance drops ? Something is amiss and it goes beyond G7 etc.

you're right that people go for the competition which might be why fewer people went to nationals this year. not only did everyone know who was going to win prior to indianapolis but the other corps stay in the same order from thursday to friday to saturday. there is absolutely no suspense. the venue is bad as well and I still say the choice of music is not what the majority of drum corps fans want to here. there's a lot of coordinators out there like charlie the tuna. they're trying to show good taste...but they don't taste good.

More people attending the Regionals, and less attending Finals, could very well end up increasing the overall aggregate of fans buying tickets to DCI events throughout the entire season as well as increasing the overall revenue for DCI. So to say that the fan interest in DCI and the DCI revenue is waning solely on the drop in Finals attendance could be a misnomer.

Absolutely agree. And, as the report that was released a few months ago showed, DCI's income went up in a declining economy, which means the business model is successfully fighting the economic trending.

And let me say again, I suspect that DCI is accumulating attendance numbers for the whole season, and it makes sense to do so considering their recent emphasis on regional shows that finals attendance is less important than the whole season.

Anecdotally, our show, just 10 days ago, got the final tally of attendance and income/expense numbers. And our show was July 11. Regardless of why it took us so long, I can see why it's taking DCI so long to accumulate the season's numbers.

Patience is a virtue. Does it really matter that we have the numbers NOW, and when YOU think they should be available?

The off-season runs for another few months, after all.

No it really doesn't matter. You are right, i have to be wrong. I will be patiently waiting for those numbers. See you in a couple decades. :devil:

Our group of 9 went to DCI 2010 finals. Tickets were arranged by one person; not me. 3 of us were going to go to Open Class but didn't have tickets. Could we have walked over to Lucas Oil and bought tickets with cash? It's been a few decades since I've been to a live contest. If I decide to fly to a contest at the last minute to somewhere, can I get a ticket at the door?

Pro Baseball games on TV will usually tell on air right after the seventh inning. Pro football sometimes will say on the air during the third quarter right after the half sometimes

Don't count seats; count legs and then divide by two. :beer:

Or, you could count the empty seats and subtract from 63,000!

:beer:

Garry in Vegas