Bando/n00b Stories

When and why did things change? I marched in a competing high school band in the late 1980s that called itself a "corps" style band --as opposed to a "show" band-- because we were emulating drum corps. There were probably at least 150 of these corps style bands in Ohio at that time, following the lead of drum corps. Even lagging behind the drum corps trends: I think the timing pistol was used at least as late as 1987 in OMEA judging; hadn't it been dropped from DCI by then?

Curiously, in my own band, I don't think anyone explained what "corps" referred to until at least late in my sophomore year (I think it was) when the Bluecoats made a recruiting pitch to us -- with our director's approval, of course. (That didn't help as much as it should have: the presentation was clear as mud.) I had previously assumed "corps" was simply a reference to military precision.

Many hundreds more Ohio high schools had show bands. Presumably their directors were those who discouraged students from being involved in corps -- can anyone explain why? And I wonder, given that actual corps could be unknown even to members of a corps style band, how the show band kids knew of them.

What school did you attend? I went to STA in Louisville.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rookie BD drum major saying "band ten hut" at Mars. He was immediately duct-taped to a lightpole for said infraction.

AWESOME!!!!! :devil::tongue::worthy::tongue::worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

A tad off topic, but I was at a band show when a band presented a show full of gimmicks, such as flags shooting out of a mass-flag catapult and other silliness. It was the most annoying presentation I'd ever seen, because it seemed the director spent more time having gimmicky props and sets built than teaching the band how to play the show. As soon as the show was over, a woman right behind me told the woman next to her, "Our band needs more gimmicks."

I'm going to scream now. IT'S NOT ABOUT THE GIMMICKS, FOLKS!

did you mean 'or' ?

Ughhh....frickin' english majors! :tongue:

We don't hate bandos it's just fun to make fun of their noobishness sometimes.

I don't have a specific story but you can always tell who the bandos are at DCI shows because they call Carolina Crown "Carolina" and the little bando girls corpsgasm for the Cavaliers.

What school did you attend? I went to S[t.] T[homas] A[quinas] in Louisville.

N. Royalton, a Cleveland suburb about halfway to Akron.

N. Royalton, a Cleveland suburb about halfway to Akron.

I'm pretty sure we had some members from N. Royalton when I marched. I remember competing at shows with N. Royalton. If I remember correctly you guys were pretty big, don't remember if you were good or not. We were a small band, but our band director when I was a freshman was a DCI judge in the Penn Circuit and converted all our woodwinds (except Saxes) to brass so we had a pretty solid hornline and would win the winds caption over much larger bands at most competitions.