You know drum corps is dying when.............

It looks good like that, but you have to add that while there are more corps now in DCA, the number of members per corps is significantly smaller than in 2000 with in exception maybe the top 3 open class corps.

That situation is even more true when you see 2 corps that have been so succesful in past years struggle with membership and go inactive in 2010. (Brigadiers and Crusaders)

Agreed (and I'm a DCA booster).... Also as you can see the biggest growth in DCA the last 10 years has been in the smaller corps area. And some of those Class A smaller corps showed up for a year or so and then disappeared (at least as far as coming to DCA Weekend).

But then again, what would the numbers be if DCA had kept its old system of only having one class?

And are we coming into an era where full size corps are becoming unattainable due to money and warm bodies?

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed (and I'm a DCA booster).... Also as you can see the biggest growth in DCA the last 10 years has been in the smaller corps area. And some of those Class A smaller corps showed up for a year or so and then disappeared (at least as far as coming to DCA Weekend).

But then again, what would the numbers be if DCA had kept its old system of only having one class?

And are we coming into an era where full size corps are becoming unattainable due to money and warm bodies?

So...we can say...DCA is seeing similar reduction as DCI is.

So, this isn't JUST a DCI phenomenon?

And, so all this stuff about new instruments, synths and amplification might just be hooey. DCA doesn't use this stuff and they are having tough time attracting members.

DCI has less membership issue and maybe fan issue...however, DCI still puts 18K in the stands for finals. DCA is about 6500 - 7000? Yes?

Edited by Tom Brace

And, so all this stuff about new instruments, synths and amplification might just be hooey. DCA doesn't use this stuff and they are having tough time attracting members.

DCI has less membership issue and maybe fan issue...however, DCI still puts 18K in the stands for finals. DCA is about 6500 - 7000? Yes?

DCA is NE-centric, Tom. Always has been. . . so of course the numbers will be a little smaller. Add on a crappy economy and no one is going be doing gangbusters drum corps business, whether they're BD or the Empire Statesmen.

Where DCA does a little better than DCI is in the "A" class . . . note the growth there even in the hard times we're going through now, as corps are allowed to grow at their own rate, create their own regional contests and circuits, and to compete against like-sized units during the season and in Rochester . . . whereas DCI is content to let their own Open class flounder along in a "separate, but equal" limbo, going on first at shows, and not seeing much of a payout.

It should never be about an "us versus them" mentality between DCI and DCA, but sometimes I wonder if Open class in DCI wouldn't be better off under a DCA "A" class structure, rather than try to pigeonhole them into the "World Class, except less people!" marketing hole.

So...we can say...DCA is seeing similar reduction as DCI is.

So, this isn't JUST a DCI phenomenon?

Looking beyond ten years past, I'd say DCA has hit a plateau for now and members are getting smacked around by the economy. Since very few DCA corps (any?) have had more people at tryouts than what is needed, we're going to notice it on the field. IOW, if DCI corps get 10% less people at tryouts many still have enough people to fill a corps. If a DCA corps gets 10% less people trying to make the corps, you will see 10% less people on the field. And 10% I pulled out of my butt as an example. Also DCA has become more smaller corps friendly which IMO helped Sr corps come back very well from the 13 corps Prelims of the early 1990s.

As for attendance, DCA always had less than DCI. Top DCA attendance I can remember from the late 70s was either 15K or 17K. Info came from an album cover I sold and no idea if that was paid attendance. If someone knows the late 70s DCI attendance it might be interesting to compare the percentage of attendance drop off since.

PS - Always thought the long-term health of DCA and DCI were more closely linked than most people realize. After being involved in the Alumni-type area for the last seven years, I'll add the Alumni-types to that group.

Anyone want to group in the Mini corps?

"You know drum corps is dying when……………"

....DCI and BOA looks, smells and tastes exactly the same.

When they are both run by the same regional staffs.

When they have shows that compete against each other for the same fans.

....then a choice is made and one DIES........

DCA is NE-centric, Tom. Always has been. . . so of course the numbers will be a little smaller. Add on a crappy economy and no one is going be doing gangbusters drum corps business, whether they're BD or the Empire Statesmen.

Where DCA does a little better than DCI is in the "A" class . . . note the growth there even in the hard times we're going through now, as corps are allowed to grow at their own rate, create their own regional contests and circuits, and to compete against like-sized units during the season and in Rochester . . . whereas DCI is content to let their own Open class flounder along in a "separate, but equal" limbo, going on first at shows, and not seeing much of a payout.

It should never be about an "us versus them" mentality between DCI and DCA, but sometimes I wonder if Open class in DCI wouldn't be better off under a DCA "A" class structure, rather than try to pigeonhole them into the "World Class, except less people!" marketing hole.

I've often thought that OC corps and even some of the lower tier WC might be as well served by DCA. But, the lower tier WC corps won't move until they no longer get a payday when they perform.

"You know drum corps is dying when……………"

....DCI and BOA looks, smells and tastes exactly the same.

When they are both run by the same regional staffs.

When they have shows that compete against each other for the same fans.

....then a choice is made and one DIES........

look at WGI, if it wasn't for scholastic programs, WGI would be gone.

DCI does not have scholastic programs now. Spirit was the only one I have ever heard of in DCI and now they are no longer scholastic.

I'm sure at some point, a baby dino said that as he stood on all 4 legs for the first time, just as the lava flow reached his nest.

And that is why I made the statement about hoping to age in drum corps as I'm trying in life - with grace.

If drum corps ever becomes gray haired and bald to me, I hope I never try to dye it and cover it with a rug to regain my youthful image of drum corps. Just accept that change happens and if I can't handle the change then gracefully exit field right.

All those that think drum corps is dying, what era do you think would bring back the crowds? Yes, it might bring back some former fans, but will they be able to replace the fans lost and the new fans never gained?

Or is it a bigger problem that ALL performing arts seem to be experiencing? For instance, all the local marching bands (high school and college), in the area I live, are having problems recruiting members.

To the outsider arguing over key changes, electronics, etc is eye-roll inducing.

You know drum corps is dying when……………

You replace your marching instructor with a choreographer.

You try to improve your front line sound by buying a new amp

You publish your repertoire and you play no RECOGNISABLE songs from it

You feel the need to amplify your soloists

You have to make room in the food truck for the 30 tons of props you are hauling around the country

The fans are in the stands complaining that they have to wait for an “exciting” corps……..And they are at the World Finals!!!

You have to make room in your corps budget for MICROPHONES

It stops being about the corps members and becomes all about the corps administration ego

It stops being about horns, drums and pageantry and more about a stage production

You cancel a show because your singer lost her voice.

Your "The Who" theme show involves smashing your amp at the end.

You ditch your Navy oxford shoes for jazz slippers.

You have more brass on the field than ever and still need amplification.

Your field show cures insomnia.

Your drum line cannot execute a single rudiment but moves like Cirque du Soleil.

Your color guard makes male figure skaters look brawny, rugged, and manly in comparison.

Jazz Running?

Your drum major doesn't use a baton or a mace but yells, "Plug it in!"

to start the show.

Your drum corps auditions includes a voice lesson

Your music is not recognizable ……….. by anyone

High mark time marching is unique and original

someone hears DCI and thinks of old Titleist irons.

there are more people in the pit than on the field.

rain cancels a show for fear of electrical problems.

judges give recaps like Bruno Tonioli critiquing a celebrity on "Dancing With the Stars."

drills look like a strand of DNA.

the music you play is so obscure the composers forgot they wrote it.

You hear comments like “I play third violin for the Troopers.”

You think WGI is the bomb but never heard of drum corps.

A soloist blames cracked notes on his #### reed being too dry.

They give I&E medals to flute and saxophone performances!

They start referring to drum corps as BAND!

You are a lifelong drum corps nut and you actually question whether you want to go a competition

You mention the 27th Lancers, North Star, Freelancers, or the Muchachos to “a drum corps fan” and they say “Who?”

The goal of the corps directors is to win a Tony Award

Your show requires an MC to explain what is going on.

The crowd as a whole does not yell and scream anymore during the performance.

People start to compare drum corps sound to that of a concert band

The corps is concerned with conveying nuance rather than giving “that chill”

Can any one think of more?

Yawn...

Fred O.