You know drum corps is dying when.............

It's just a matter of preference. I'm not interested in shows that require no thought or energy to enjoy.

Since when did music that's not hard to connect to become mindless and without energy? Oi vey.

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm talking about my personal mental energy, not the energy in the music. Two different things. You aren't wrong, but neither am I.

I was talking about the ability of an audience to connect to music being the "problem" with Blue Devil's show. To that you replied:

"I'm not interested in shows that require no thought or energy to enjoy." which seems to imply that music that people can connect to requires no thought or [mental] energy.

And what kind of meaning are you looking for anyways? It's a 12 minute musical performance. This isn't Inception, Memento or The Matrix for crying out loud.

I was talking about the ability of an audience to connect to music being the "problem" with Blue Devil's show. To that you replied:

"I'm not interested in shows that require no thought or energy to enjoy." which seems to imply that music that people can connect to requires no thought or [mental] energy.

And what kind of meaning are you looking for anyways? It's a 12 minute musical performance. This isn't Inception, Memento or The Matrix for crying out loud.

Jeez, I didn't say you were wrong, why are you trying to prove my personal experience wrong? I have no problem with what other people enjoy, I just know what I like.

I like what I like, just like you.

How did this thread get focused back on BD's show? Didn't we just beat that to death on about a half-dozen other threads?

Drum corps is going to die all right, because you guys can't stop bashing and orgy-ing over Kenton!

Jeez, let it rest already!

Sorry, rant over. Going back to the Pio thread where there's love everywhere! :thumbup:

DCI paid out $2.4mm to the corps. Isn't that considered a great year for a non-profit? :tongue:

Edited by garfield

The 900s ask for PAST officers and directors currently earning more than $100m. Current o/d's earning more than $50m are required.

Well, help me out here: is the document to which danielray linked not genuine? Because this is what it requests, on p. 7 are in these four bullet points:

-List all of the organization's current officers, directors, trustees (whether individuals or organizations), regardless of amount of compensation, and current key employees

Hopkins is not one of these people, and as such not listed. Officers and directors would be board members; while I believe "key employees" have to earn at least $150K.

-List the organization's five current highest compensated employees (other than an officer, director, trustee, or key employee) who received reportable compensation (Box 5 of Form W-2 and/or Box 7 of Form 1099-MISC) of more than $100,000 from the organization and any related organizations.

This is what I quoted before. If Hopkins earns more than $100K, this sentence seems to require that he be listed, but again, he's not. In fact, his name appears nowhere in the entire 990 -- unless that's his signature on the first page. (That person's name and title are supposed to be printed below, but are not. And the signature is supposed to be of an officer, i.e., someone from the board, but the first name looks more like "George" than "James", "John", "Jack", or "William"... this is where I ask myself why I'm going to this effort.)

-List all of the organization's former officers, key employees, and highest compensated employees who received more than $100,000 of reportable compensation from the organization and any related organizations.

-List all of the organization's former directors or trustees that received, in the capacity as a former director or trustee of the organization, more than $10,000 of reportable compensation from the organization and any related organizations.

This is what you've been referring to, and course, Hopkins is not listed here.

I can't find that $50K figure you're referring to; can you tell me where to look?

In any case, I don't care about this; I trust [Hopkins is] paid fairly and not exorbitantly, and was just trying to work out the discrepancy.

I don't care either what GH makes (more power to him!), after all, YEA! is a $4mm operation. What I object to is his contention that DCI staff is "bloated" when the ED runs a $10mm organization and makes as much he does.

Fair enough.

I'll ask again: DCI paid out $2.4mm to the corps (about 24%). I consider this "surplus" in the context of DCI's mission. And they kept some for the office as well. Wouldn't you consider this to be a "great" return, and according to your comment, Brigade, a better return than most non-profits on a regular basis?

Absolutely!

(Hmm... "Brigade"... nice... maybe I should change my nickname.)

Drum Corps IS NOT dying! Yes there have been some evolution or changes in the activity. There are changes in the NFL and other sporting events. There are changes in education too. We don't all like those changes. The OP seems to have marched in the 1980's. I marched in the 70's. I appreciate what is happening in drum corps both at the DCI and DCA level.

Here's the best part about DCI.....the young adults that perform work just as hard, if not harder, than we "Dinosuars" did BITD. So if you really feel that DCI corps don't give you want you want...go try DCA! If that's not for you....try some other activity. Your comments get back to these kids and they have their negative feelings toward the "Dinosaurs."

I thought the same way as you but what it all comes down to is those kids that bust their butts to perform all summer long. Don't like it? Go to the next DCI convention and voice your opinion.

For those who like to take shots at the so called dinosaurs remember that if it was not for them you or the activity would not be here today.Those people marched 8-10 12 yrs most with the same corps witch we called dedication back then.Now let some one march 1-2 years and they are an authority on the history of drum corps.They may have something and the two needs to get together.Remember they had 85-140 corps at their nationals now you get 24 and 15 i don't see that as growing.

Plenty of kids also marched with 2, 3, or even more corps as well.

There may have been a bunch of corps at National caliber shows, but there were about the same number of top level corps as today...15-20 max. Replace the other 100+ corps with thousands of bands that compete around the country...I'll take today.

You know that drum corps is dead when....

The highlight of BD's show is a flute solo...

Troopers march 2 horns... and 148 in the pit...

Cavies play nothing but Britney Spears hits... (OK, I guess that's not possible)!

Madison plays a closer from Air Supply....

Cadets march a purely symetrical drill....

SCV marches their entire show on their hands...

Blue Devils merge with Blue Knights, Blue Stars, and Bluecoats to create Bluuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuueeeeeeeeeeee!...

The G7 includes Pioneer and Milli Vanilli...