No DCA Finals Post-Retreat/Parking Lot Run-Through

Then you understand the passion these people have for drum corps and equally important drum corps tradition.

The smart money is on letting this information out to the people its going to effect. Had this information not breached the cone of silence I could see how a bad situation could have turned much worse had this been sprung at the last moment.

Glad to see a few good posters who still care about this activity coming forward with it.

What you people dont understand is the initial post on this thread was WORD for WORD an OFFICIAL email sent to the DCA directors and business managers that was meant for DCA directors and business managers ONLY in regards to the ordinance passed down from the POLICE and the MAYORS office.

Im sure in given time this would have been addressed on this newsgroup in one form or another BUT the executive committee sent this confidential email to DCA managers only.

There is a way to do business and a way NOT to do business and posting this email on a public forum is NOT the way to do business.

My response to this thread was in disgust over reading a confidential post republished on a public forum.

As far as not being able to play in the lot after finals, Oh well, rules are rules and the Bushwackers will follow those rules.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So move the Alumni show up a hour or move it to Saturday morning. Whats a hour gonna mean to allow the corps to have their victory concert.

Which brings up the possibility of extra cost for stadium staff, doesn't it? Or are those fees inclusive of show day, regardless of start time?

For the ones that want to play at all hours on the night and disturb the neighbourhood...Can I come to your house and play my drum set on your front lawn or across the street at midnight or later? Its the same #### thing. Sure, DCA brings a lot of money to the city, but that doesn't give you or your corps the right to disturb neighbourhoods because you want to have a drunken jam in the lot after hours.

For the ones that want to play at all hours on the night and disturb the neighbourhood...Can I come to your house and play my drum set on your front lawn or across the street at midnight or later? Its the same #### thing. Sure, DCA brings a lot of money to the city, but that doesn't give you or your corps the right to disturb neighbourhoods because you want to have a drunken jam in the lot after hours.

For 10 minutes once a year, do whatever you want.

What you people dont understand is the initial post on this thread was WORD for WORD an OFFICIAL email sent to the DCA directors and business managers that was meant for DCA directors and business managers ONLY in regards to the ordinance passed down from the POLICE and the MAYORS office.
My response to this thread was in disgust over reading a confidential post republished on a public forum.

So reading this statement,,it sounds like you have more of a issue with the posting of the actual email,,rather than the discussion that is going on about the parking lot ordinance?

Ill agree with you that rules are rules and they do have to be respected.

If I was a resident in the area I would have concerns over the noise. But then again I would probably move if it bothered me.

Edited by camel lips

Just wondering why this is even an issue. Take your money and find a new sight to hold finals, someplace a little more location friendly to all traveling corps and thier fans. Rochester, really?

"Hey we went to Rochester to compete!" How does that really sound? Pretty Mickey Mouse to me. Select a venue that will draw record crowds and recognition, rather that scrutiny and the police.

Well CT-Horns, when it does move, it's moving farther away, not closer, to CT.

I'm torn - it's obviously a great tradition (although fairly recent, right?), and a big of part of the experience...

But, the people in that neighborhood deserve the same respect that you would want in your neighborhood.

In fact, I'm surprised the RPD has been so cool about it this long. That's a brutal neighborhood, and the cops have kept your stuff pretty safe... it can't be easy for them.

But again, I'm torn... that area hasn't solved the prostitution or drug trafficking problem in 40 years... but loud nasty "band" music after 11pm one night a year... no way.

I think if the right people talk to the right people this can be handled.

Edited by Tom D'Bomb

post removed

I have no issue with the info being released...I think it's important for the members to know...although you and Lee usurped the authority of the various corps directors to do that.

I DO have an issue with people here conveniently ignoring that the event is held in a residential area, and you are ignoring the FACT that the local community is what the Mayor's going to listen to....the PD as well.

Local noise ordinances are there for a reason. You can either accept those rules with some semblance of dignity like HBD is doing, or you can continue to whine like a petulant 5 year old. Your choice.

You can also go tell the residents -- to their faces -- to go ####-off....lotsa luck there.

If this keeps up, he may not have to buy any beverages in Rochester next week. :thumbup:

If he;d collected $1 for every time it was said, he could've built a DCA-specific facility with no neighbors around and we wouldn't even be HAVING this discussion!

Hey Ed-

Before you pass judgment on someone's passion for drum corps, especially since you have been involved with DCA for SEVEN WHOLE YEARS, you should stop and think. While you may not agree with the issue, and you are entitled to your own opinion, don't ever think you know more or feel more about drum corps than others. The fact is, you just made a fool of yourself and you don't even know it.

WEll I read HBD post and found it very insulting to the people that put their heart and souls into this activity. The people that are the ones pounding the grass every weekend are the ones that have the right to know what it is that is going to effect their activity. I realize after reading HBD further comments that he was more upset that the actual email was being shared and not so much on the matter of the parking lot ordinance.

I realize there are a lot of people that wish this would not have come out especially this close to finals but its best that it did. I wonder if this has been a ongoing problem with the city or is this just something that came to light in the last couple of days/weeks???

We will probably never know.