No DCA Finals Post-Retreat/Parking Lot Run-Through

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Then you understand the passion these people have for drum corps and equally important drum corps tradition.

The smart money is on letting this information out to the people its going to effect. Had this information not breached the cone of silence I could see how a bad situation could have turned much worse had this been sprung at the last moment.

Glad to see a few good posters who still care about this activity coming forward with it.

OH STOP THE FRIGGEN DRAMA ABOUT "STILL CARE ABOUT THE ACTIVITY"

WAH WAH

PLAYING IN A PARKING LOT POST FINALS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH CARING ABOUT THIS ACTIVITY, not does it have a #### thing to do with perpetuating this activity, the result of people not doing what is asked of them can possibly HURT the actitivty in the long run.

So if it's an "indispensable tradition" that I crank my stereo full blast until 2-3 in the morning and disturb the folks in adjoining apartments while they're trying to sleep, that's OK?

Really, Sam? You're going to compare this ridiculous notion you just pulled out of a hat with the tradition of corps doing one last run after finals?

I swear to God Sam you have a knack for coming up with the dumbest ideas in human history.

I actually work with a woman that is from the stadium neighborhood originally and she said she is surprised that no one has come out and taken a shot at one of the corps while doing one of these concerts. She said it is one of the worst neighborhoods in Rochester.

I have to say that this is the best, most solid argument against the lot concerts I've heard yet. Certainly no one wants to get shot.

Drop the personal attacks, folks.

I understand this is an issue near and dear to everyone's heart with Finals just a few days away, but sniping at each other does nothing but raise tension levels here.

Thanks for your understanding. :thumbup:

The after show blow down is a great way to say goodbye and live in the moment of performing one last time. It effects members, staff, alumni and fans in an emotional way. Director's should be brainstorming for their drum corps right now on ways to replace this this tradition.

It will be an odd silence outside the stadium at 1130, no question. But DCA is doing the right thing by complying to what the city wants. They do however have a choice, a choice to move DCA finals once they do not have a contract with Rochester (anyone know?).

The news is unfortunate but all this arguing doesn't influence or change anything. This is a great year for good drum corps in DCA and finals are going to be entertaining and verrrrryyyyyy interesting. The streets will just be quiet after the show.

I think it is a great time to go back to the Double tree and have the parking lot concert there. Hell it's all drum corps people there anyway. Don't trip Ken it's all good. Maybe this will get finals a bit closer like....... Treasure Island. 7

Treasure Island might bring out the "tree huggers". We'd be disturbing the wildlife. Otherwise, it would be a good site. I can see the traffic backup at the exit off the bridge now....

This will be my sixth year involved in DCA and in that time, for various reasons, I've never participated in or even seen any of these parking lot runs.

Apparently my DCA experience has been a complete waste of time and I didn't even know it. :thumbup:

Coffee, meet keyboard....

After the fact parking lot run throughs are over rated...everybody is trying to play stuff they cant hit and the staff took out months ago, the disgusting over playing knowing there is no judges there, no consideration to dynamics etc....LOL

And whoever said they are lucky the neighbors didnt shoot first is correct. That is not the neighborhood to take on the locals.

Leave it in the hands of Allen Buell and his team, griping on here does nothing... if it is going to handled, the team of Allen, Tom P. et al. are the people that can get it done.

DA

1 was using 1 am as a example. Insert any time.

I know for a fact that the contract provides certain areas of use outside the stadium for corps use. Warm up areas, formation areas, rally points and loading areas are just a few that come to mind. Many of these are on public streets and private party with permission of the city and the residents.

I do not want to kick the alumnis to the curb. I realize they are a valuable part of the DCA weekend and experience. Starting them a hour early would have them ending a hour early. Allowing finals to start a hour earlier and allowing the parking lot concerts to start a hour earlier and end a hour earlier. Another thought would be move the Alumni corps to Saturday morning. Yes this would create a very long day for DCA crowds and DCA staff but we spend 9 months of the year working hard and sweating hard for this final event of the year. Whats 1 long day going to hurt anyone?

I think its time to start thinking outside the box a bit and come up with a solution for this problem.

Starting the Alumni Spectacular and hour earlier would mean 9:00 a.m. So now you want the churches to complain??? Besides, I ain't gettin' my sorry arse out of bed at Oh Dark Thirty just so someone can park and bark at the other end of a looooong day.

You want a solution? Five Class A and five Open Class finalists. Show starts at 5 and is over before the lights go on. Done.