Asphalt Cocktail - Short Memories?

Actually, I thought that Bluecoats' show had more melody in it than most this year. I've actually had Aha! stuck in my head for about three days now, especially that tuba feature. Actually, I can remember a strong melody from almost every show, with the exception of BD, Glassmen, and Mandarins. The rest of the corps, I can find a melody to hum or that sticks in my head well.

Uh yeah, Laura is not a strong melody. You can't hum it. It doesn't stick in your head.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Uh yeah, Laura is not a strong melody. You can't hum it. It doesn't stick in your head.

Yeah, it didn't. Sorry, I saw the show 7 times this season, and it did not stick in my head at all.

Yeah, it didn't. Sorry, I saw the show 7 times this season, and it did not stick in my head at all.

Wow... really? I heard it... I am a trombone player too... You didn't hear the lush lower brass passage? Hmmmmmm... telling... :thumbup:

Wow... really? I heard it... I am a trombone player too... You didn't hear the lush lower brass passage? Hmmmmmm... telling... :thumbup:

Telling about what? I saw that show a lot, and it just didn't stick with me. Sorry. It's just my opinion. Nothing more, nothing less. You guys may remember all the melody from the show, but I don't. I will give it another listen when the CDs come out, then make another assessment on it.

<Bluecoats' 2010 show did not have a scrap of recognizable, singable, hummable melody>

Wow...just...wow...

I will agree that, in places (opener) coats were not memorably melodic...but Aha, their 3rd number (a Doug Thrower original with a VERY pretty melody), and even Asphalt (more riffs, or motifs than actual melody...) had hum-able and memorable passages.

As for BD, I did hear the 'hommage a La Suerta'...and a few other snippets...but the 'package' left me with far less a sense of melody than Bluecoats.

But I don't need melody to enjoy music - I do prefer to understand shows, and I simply did not get enough 'hears' on BD to get it. Once was definitely NOT enough.

Come to Ohio BD...some of us really want to love you!

Edited by FHdork

Maybe it was a gracious move but I want folks to remember that if BD had performed their intended show (including Asphalt Cocktail) would there still be so much angst about their repertoire?

Thoughts?

Ya but they didn't. They also COULD'VE played Holst, The Cavaliers could've played Stan Kenton, The Bluecoats could've played nothing but Imogean heap, and Madison could've done a 17 minute long rendition of malaga and been disqualified (talk about not caring about the scores). But none of them did. Soooooo what's the point of this thread?

Interesting that the Bluecoats' 2010 show did not have a scrap of recognizable, singable, hummable melody yet there

aren't a dozen threads ragging on them. Proof to me that the whining is more about BD winning all the time rather than

their show itself.

And for the record, I ABSOLUTELY LOVED the Bluecoats this year.

Uhhhh...what? I've heard some pretty lame statements, but this is just special ed. Not a single melody? Hmmm....I can think of the opener melody, the great ballad solo/melody, the tuba feature, asphalt cocktail (there is a melody there). All of those are singable/hummable....been humming them all season.

Ya but they didn't. They also COULD'VE played Holst, The Cavaliers could've played Stan Kenton, The Bluecoats could've played nothing but Imogean heap, and Madison could've done a 17 minute long rendition of malaga and been disqualified (talk about not caring about the scores). But none of them did. Soooooo what's the point of this thread?

Waffles, and the fact that I like them. :thumbup:

Uhhhh...what? I've heard some pretty lame statements, but this is just special ed. Not a single melody? Hmmm....I can think of the opener melody, the great ballad solo/melody, the tuba feature, asphalt cocktail (there is a melody there). All of those are singable/hummable....been humming them all season.

Nope. Maybe for the advanced audience but not to the casual listener. Yes, there is lots of melody in

Asphalt Cocktail but it is pretty unconventional. I personally can sing and hum all of BD's show, and

much of Bluecoats show, but am not a casual fan.

Heck, apparently some think Laura is not hummable melody so one has to wonder just how simple it

needs to be. Does everyone need to play Ice Castles to make some people happy?

Edited by BDUFLS