Asphalt Cocktail - Short Memories?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe it was a gracious move but I want folks to remember that if BD had performed their intended show (including Asphalt Cocktail) would there still be so much angst about their repertoire?

Thoughts?

Not sure, let me see the brass score that BD prepared for Asphalt and I'll answer.

Maybe it was a gracious move but I want folks to remember that if BD had performed their intended show (including Asphalt Cocktail) would there still be so much angst about their repertoire?

Do you have some context for us folks with "short memories"? Also, I don't think the angst about BD was really about the repertoire.

Yea, the rep had nothing to do with it. iirc, everyone was stoked for stan kenton, I know I was. then the arrangements ruined it. Who can say if they would have done that with asphalt cocktail or not?

Honestly, for me - yes, it would have made an incredible difference. I don't mind admitting that I didn't like their music because I didn't like the source material. (Of course, I also don't mind admitting that I get that others may actually like it. I just don't know why they do... :tongue: )

The good part about that sort of thing, though, is that next year they'll be playing something different, and life goes on.

Mike

Honestly, for me - yes, it would have made an incredible difference. I don't mind admitting that I didn't like their music because I didn't like the source material. (Of course, I also don't mind admitting that I get that others may actually like it. I just don't know why they do... :tongue: )

The good part about that sort of thing, though, is that next year they'll be playing something different, and life goes on.

Mike

e

I did not see BD live , from what I have seen and heard online they completely " Nailed " what Stan Kenton was trying to do , and I am a huge fan of Stan Kenton.

If this is what the adjudicary is steering the activity to , new touring models will be irrelevant.

Do you have some context for us folks with "short memories"? Also, I don't think the angst about BD was really about the repertoire.

I couldn't hope to speak for Downey, but I do know that "Asphalt Cocktail" was an early choice and pulled before camps. I think the point is that they were looking for a piece that reflected chaos of the city, driving the interconnected counter movements that populate much of the design. In short, from the beginning it appears that the feel was to be managed chaos. The true genius of downey/meehan/glyde is the way that the juxtiposed that chaos with one of the most beautiful melodies ever... "Laura".

I really believe that if many of the music critics of "TG,D" would listen to BD's final audio production recorded at standstill live in Buffalo, when it becomes available, they will have a better understand of it's complexity and musical wisdom. I believe much the same way, the musical production of SOI 93 has the same feel to it.

Edited by Plan9

I did not see BD live , from what I have seen and heard online they completely " Nailed " what Stan Kenton was trying to do , and I am a huge fan of Stan Kenton.

Oh, I think they really did justice to the original, and I like "classic" Kenton... but Experimental Kenton = Do Not Want.

Mike

II really believe that if many of the music critics of "TG,D" would listen to BD's final audio production recorded at standstill live in Buffalo, when it becomes available, they will have a better understand of it's complexity and musical wisdom. I much the same way the musical production of SOI 93 has the same feel to it.

I'm a standstill recording nut, so I'll be buying it against my saner impulses - I'll let you know if it connects any better with me. :tongue:

Mike