Asphalt Cocktail - Short Memories?

. The true genius of downey/meehan/glyde is the way that the juxtiposed that chaos with one of the most beautiful melodies ever... "Laura".

Thanks ..... but I'll take the 1964 Golden Knights version of " Laura "

some pieces just do not warrant " interpretation "

and congrats to Blue Devils - you were a deserving champion.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you point me to the 5-second snippet in the APD where they play that melody?

They start using the melody at about 2:45 but from about 4:45 through 6:10 they play it pretty straight-up, and gorgeously. I'm not a big fan of the show, but that is some good stuff, there.

Edited by skywhopper

Maybe it was a gracious move but I want folks to remember that if BD had performed their intended show (including Asphalt Cocktail) would there still be so much angst about their repertoire?

You are perhaps assuming they would have played it anything like the way Bluecoats did, but I'm not sure how that would have fit into what they wanted to do with their show. And if they had played it in a way that did fit into their show, it may have been so different that no one really thought of them as playing the same thing anyway.

I don't think the musical selection is what prevented so many people from connecting, at least quickly or easily, with the show. Laura and Los Suerte aren't exactly unpopular tunes. It's what they did with the music that not everyone connected with. I liked it a lot more after listening to it a few times, but I still wonder if it might have worked better to spend a little more time establishing Los Suerte at the beginning and a little more time returning to it at the end. But perhaps the chaos of our world is thinly bound.

I really believe that if many of the music critics of "TG,D" would listen to BD's final audio production recorded at standstill live in Buffalo, when it becomes available, they will have a better understand of it's complexity and musical wisdom. I believe much the same way, the musical production of SOI 93 has the same feel to it.

The diffence is SOI 93 had complete musical phrasings throughout more iof their program!!

:tongue:

The diffence is SOI 93 had complete musical phrasings throughout more iof their program!!

Except for the blink-and-you-miss-it minuscule bit of Niner-Two in the show.

That is perhaps a difference. Different designs but the same situation...a portion of the audience population that rejected the notion of something different. They looked just like your emoticon!

I couldn't hope to speak for Downey, but I do know that "Asphalt Cocktail" was an early choice and pulled before camps. I think the point is that they were looking for a piece that reflected chaos of the city, driving the interconnected counter movements that populate much of the design. In short, from the beginning it appears that the feel was to be managed chaos. The true genius of downey/meehan/glyde is the way that the juxtiposed that chaos with one of the most beautiful melodies ever... "Laura".

I really believe that if many of the music critics of "TG,D" would listen to BD's final audio production recorded at standstill live in Buffalo, when it becomes available, they will have a better understand of it's complexity and musical wisdom. I believe much the same way, the musical production of SOI 93 has the same feel to it.

So it will sound different when they are standing still? Part of great visual design is staging voices so that all voices can be heard when their supposed to be heard and within the proper context. I hope I hear exactly the same thing from Buffalo as I'll hear on the DVD/CD when it arrives.