Show ideas you'd want to see next year

Loaded question, so many great answers.

Ya know, as a spectator/fan it is always nice to be surprised with new concepts and corps that select music/show concepts/themes that are fresh and have never been on the field before. It is refreshing and make us, as spectators(and probably as corps veterans), feel like the activity is still growing and still innovative and not becoming stale. However, as a teacher, instructor and parent it is also important to me that we continue to influence the new members with the great scores of some of the very best composers with music and shows that have been done before. Believe me, it is sometime hard to sit through West Side Story on the field again, I mean, it has been done...and it is so very easy for me(and some of you too, I suspect), to compare the current corps playing music, such as WSS, to the corps that have done it in the past. But shouldn't these new students/members/kids, who are truly the next generation of fine musicians, have the same opportunities to play these wonderful compositions??? Lets face it, we will never see the exact same composition on the field from year to year or from corps to corps, the show design, drill and arrangements will always be different, and it is a very good possiblity that the arrangers will actually use the examples from the corps who previously performed the selected music to make their arrangements different, unique and special in its own right. That does not mean that WSS is not the same WSS, because "rumble" is still "rumble" and "Maria" is still "maria", but there is truly no comparison from the 1984 Garfield Cadets to the 1994 Cadets or even the 2009 Holy Name Cadets; all very different. Still, in my mind, in 2009, I was still comparing from one to the other as well as to the other great corps who have attempted WSS. If the Cadets select WSS again, I will still stand tall for my Alma mater, but I will absolutely sigh the big sigh of disappointment when the announcement is made, and then wonder all winter what they will do to make it original, unique and amazing, and I know for sure the 2011 Cadet members will have a truly magnificant experience performing one of the greatest peices of music ever written.

***Disclaimer*** I have no idea what the 2011 Cadets repitoire will be. This is just an example.

So what would I like to see...gosh...how about...hmmm. I would like to see any of the top 17 corps attempt a Indiana Jones/National Treasure show concept. could be allot of fun to perform as well as entertaining to see. Ala Dutch Boy '84/Freelancers '90/Les Stentors 2000.

Also a new broadway show I am digging right now is "In the Heights". That could be fun, but it incorporates quite a bit of rap and fast spoken word, so not sure how that would translate to field music...without the obvious use of a microphone to actually rap on the field, but the music could stand alone.

I think a Robin Hood show could be wonderful. The music from the "price of thieves" version with Kevin Cosner is truly great, and now the latest version, Russel Crowe, could also influence the scores. Ala Southwind '92/SCV cadets '92

I am OK with props, the mirrors from BD 2010 were really cool, but so confusing. I wonder if there were mistakes that the mirrors actually hid....come on, its BD, probably not.

more cymbal lines!!!

So what do I not want to see:

Well, I would rather not have the electric keyboards eliminate the tuba sections. I accepted the use of the keyboard, but not over use.

I dont want to see electric guitars, bass guitars, saxophones, clarinets, or flutes

I dont really want to see gold horns...change the key, but please leave them silver!

I am hopeful the G7 can come to a compromise. Some of what is being discussed is actually really exciting.

I'd like to see a Carmen show. Maybe from Madison. Or Phantom, that could be interesting.

I'd like to see a Carmen show. Maybe from Madison. Or Phantom, that could be interesting.

Madison played Carmen in 2005.

I think he means the other Carmen... Carmen Sandiego

That would be impossible. Nobody knows where in the world she is. :doh:

Here's a show I'd like to see next year:

A show with no voice, no amps, no electronics, a meaty brass book, a killer drum line, effective body movement that isn't overused, 90% or more of traditional marching technique, stripes on the pants, face peeling volume and a company front that last longer than 4 counts...... added bonus if that corps sacks up and does it with G bugles.

And, I'll be sure to bring 50-100 people with me.

Edited by supersop

I would like to see Vanguard take another crack at their 87 show. I would like to see Spirit take another crack at their 86 show. I would like to see Cadets pull out some Copland again (thinking in terms of 88, not 87). I would like to see BD do anything JAZZ that stays true to the original composition. I would like to see Troopers take another look at their 87 show that didn't make finals (which should have) and tear that baby up. I would like to see Crossmen give their 90 show another try. I would like to see a corps like Jersey Surf go back to being funny and maybe even pull out an 88 VK show and do it in their honor. I would like to see R.W. Smith write an original show entitled City of Glass for the Glassmen!!! I would also like to see Blue Stars do a tribute show to SOI. Porgy and Bess is a good option ......... maybe even the 90 show.

This is not in an attempt to relive the glory years or even to digress the direction of DCI. I do think however it would be beneficial to the bottom line of DCI.

Tying this into another thread ......... Maybe a "throwback" year would be exactly what DCI needs today in order to broaden their fan base (by getting the dino's back in the seats that they have lost). I don't care if you have 20 people in the pit in order to balance ... just try it without amps.

If this day ever came ... I would triple my viewing opportunities and bend over backward to pump as much money as I can into the activity. I'm sure others would as well.

Here's a show I'd like to see next year:

A show with no voice, no amps, no electronics, a meaty brass book, a killer drum line, effective body movement that isn't overused, 90% or more of traditional marching technique, stripes on the pants, face peeling volume and a company front that last longer than 4 counts...... added bonus if that corps sacks up and does it with G bugles.

And, I'll be sure to bring 50-100 people with me.

Huh. Seems to me that a particular corps did that show, for the most part, this past year. Happened to be wearing West Point uniforms, too. Just with black pants, no stripes, and much brighter red on the jacket.

Huh. Seems to me that a particular corps did that show, for the most part, this past year. Happened to be wearing West Point uniforms, too. Just with black pants, no stripes, and much brighter red on the jacket.

1 out of 23 ......... so I'll get 4.35% satisfaction from my experience? No thanks.

And btw .. that corps only met 60% of the criteria in my post.