Show ideas you'd want to see next year

Teal Sound

Genre: Classic Rock

Show Title: LED

Add suggested tunes below....... or not

Switched-On Drum Corps: A Salute to Dr. Robert Arthur Moog

Strummin': A Les Paul Tribute

Drum Korg: Amping the Good Times

Roland With the Punches (For this year only, á la The Cadets in 2009, the performing corps will change its name to Fantom Regiment)

Troublemakers: Peer Gynt (sp?) and Till Eulenspiegel...complete with a mock execution! (turn to audience for thumbs up / thumbs down GE) Made for Cadets, given their fascination with characters the last few years. Fun to see two corps do 'executions' in the same year, too. (see below)

Day & Night...have you seen the cartoon short at the beginning of 'Toy Story 3'? Has drum corps written all over it...GREAT music, funny visuals! Blue Knights? Given their fascination with great music recently, this works really well. Especially with their dark unis!

Love's me some Berlioz...how about a Crown versus Phantom Berlioz fest? Crown on 'Harold en Italie,' Phantom finally answers the calls for 'Symphonie Fantastique.' Epic battle all season long. And ironically, now it would be PR playing catch-up based on the last two seasons' results. Epic. No matter the caption results!

SCV...when are you guys gonna break down and take on Phantom of the Opera again? Now you've got the drums to match 89. You've already been taking on everyone else's "BEST"...time to turn the finger inward and take on YOUR "BEST." Besides, think about all the changes to DCI in the last 20 years. You could do a really KILLER POTO with all the electronics. Many of us keep calling for someone to really WOW us with the electronics...here's YOUR chance!

'Requiem'...several of us have suggested a compilation of great selections from great Requiem Masses...Mozart...Beethoven (Solemneis)...Verdi (MEAT!!)...Berlioz. How about it, Boston? Kings last year, Popes this year? Perhaps Cavies? I dunno doesn't seem to fit their theme as much. Though the darkness of Mozart played by the Cavaliers sure does send shivers down my unmentionables.

SCOUTS! How about walking us through the Boy Scout Motto/Pledge...whichever it is? "On my honor, I will do my best..." There's your show title. Themes: Trustworthy. Loyal. Kind. Thrifty. etc. What music to perform? I don't know. Maybe a generous portion of old hymns updated? Maybe a little bit of jazz-against-contrapunctal Bach sort of mish-mash? This one of all is a visual spectacular wrapped around ANY repertoire you choose to blanket it in. Good, old-fashioned USofA performed by the BOY SCOUTS, for crying out loud!! I really, really like this concept. A little jazz, a little Bach, a little Martin Luther...yum!

Now...Blue Devils. You guys have to help me out here. I'm obviously not the biggest BD honk there is. But I keep screaming for Concord to do three things: 1.) Jazz. 2.) JAZZ. 3.) JAZZ!! But I also realize that they are doing their design based around visual and not around music any longer. So some of you honks collaborate with me here. We need to build a suggestion for the corps that incorporates the visual including the props that we know they are going to use with the screaming JAZZ that will feature that brass line like nobody's business. Suggestions?

How about this...mirrors last year, yes? How about BROKEN MIRRORS this year? How many mirrors did they have? Say 20. Cut up the reflective stuff on each one to result in 20 uniquely-shaped broken mirrors. GREAT opportunities on the guard uniforms. Mix up the unis from last year cut up with silver lycra implemented in its place...a la BROKEN MIRRORS! Lots of great design opportunities there.

Now...give me a hand with music. I want to UNLEASH that hornline! Those horses are THOROUGHBREDS being used for Shetland Pony crap. Waste of All-Time talent. Two back-to-back undefeated corps like that deserve to have the best repertoire ever put before them. First thought? Take a little bit of everything ever performed and toss it together...multiple themes/pieces going at the same time...quotations springing up all over the field all at once.

This is a BROKEN MIRROR, after all--let's get it ALL in there! Quotes from EVERY BD corps since DCI began. Tommy. Strawberry Soup. My Spanish Heart. Constantly Risking Absurdity. 1930. Through a Mirror...Darkly! That musical thought alone allows some pretty cool opportunities across the entire field. Stick 10 players out in back right, 10 up front left, 10 dead center, 10 each in the other corners and have them JAM to begin the show with...its not like you can't put 10 BD brass players on MARS (pardon the pun) and them be heard! Then the big hit with everyone coming together into...

...you honks make the call--what do they come together and blow our faces off with? Just one concept. BD mystifies me. I want them to take it to the next level.

Thoughts?

Teal Sound

I've been saying for several years that someone ought to do some Judas Priest! Not exactly 'classic,' but I really enjoyed their 2004/5 disc, 'Angel of Retribution'...maybe I'm getting one of the tracks confused for the album title. There is some KILLER percussion stuff waiting to be written from that album. I mean, if there's some up-and-coming drum guy out there, this concept could make your career! The opportunities for bass drum writing is absurd on that album. GREAT stuff! Lots of good heavy metal, meaty brass literature there, too.

Again, not exactly 'classic rock,' but some good stuff, and Teal has certainly established themselves in this genre recently.

Teal Sound

My Chemical Romance - Helena

just don't bring the git fiddles again...

So yeah, basically asking for ideas of what you would want to see on the field next year. Music, title, concept, whatever.

Less classical

Less dissonant

Less choppy

More jazz

Gospel

Something with calypso music

Something with Merengue and Salsa

Big band there some good stuff on The Phil Collins Big Band - Hot Night in Paris CD

Rock

More movie soundtracks

Ok....now on to specific choices. Someone has to play music from

The movie soundtrack Gettysburg

Music from the Gypsy Kings

Edited by Triple Forte

Something about explorations and adventures of the Indiana Jones/Tomb Raider type. And this has to be the ballad. Probably one of the most beautiful pieces I've ever heard in a film score that wasn't really a big hit with me when I saw the film but man it would be a tear jerker.

Music from the Indiana Jones films would be great. Some may definitely not see this but....given how well they did with the Pirate show and the story telling of it.......I bet Madison could knock Indiana Jones out of the park.....

Edited by Triple Forte

Music from the Indiana Jones films would be great. Some may definitely not see this but....given how well they did with the Pirate show and the story telling of it.......I bet Madison could knock Indiana Jones out of the park.....

Too bad it's John Williams.

Less classical

Less dissonant

Less choppy

More jazz

Gospel

Something with calypso music

Something with Merengue and Salsa

Big band there some good stuff on The Phil Collins Big Band - Hot Night in Paris CD

Rock

More movie soundtracks

Ok....now on to specific choices. Someone has to play music from

The movie soundtrack Gettysburg

Music from the Gypsy Kings

YES!! I have wanted someone to play this for a long time now. Troopers could do a great job with it.