Show ideas you'd want to see next year

I have a post that was closed, it was called EMOTION. Funny how so many people are looking for it in shows and thats what I was talking about. Its too bad it was closed. PIONEER playing GREENSLEEVES as a closer in 2011 would bring out some serious EMOTION, when was the last time we heard that piece on the field?

Cadets 1971! :thumbup:

So to the folks who thinks popluar music is not difficult or intricate enough to perform on the field....what do say about the Cavaliers Billy Joel Show ??? smile.gif

( answer ) Well, that show wasn't difficult or intricate, so.................

Would you make that comment in front of the 135 men who spent 1,000 plus hours of practice to perform it ?

This could win the award for dumbest comeback comment !!!

Its a forum....Its an opinion.

and that show was NOT as difficult as its peers. Do we all have to line up in front in the CAVIES and tell them ??

they know believe me.

Did they work hard... YES

Was it Entertaining , To some YES

was it difficult ,, no !!

That was by far the worst of the Cavalier shows of this decade, not a good example.

Boy......you have some tough standards.....a comfortable 3rd place finish not good ? You probably just don't like the show...and that's fine...I did like it.

The point I am making is that popular music (pop, rock....etc) CAN be competitive in today's activity.....yet it is rarely featured....and is almost never the makeup of a whole show.

A lot of folks have said over recent years that corps can not be competitive when playing such music. They have said the music is to simple....to repetitive.

2007 Results,

1 98.000 Blue Devils

2 97.025 The Cadets

3 96.350 The Cavaliers

4 94.850 Phantom Regiment

Looks pretty competitive to me.....

Would you make that comment in front of the 135 men who spent 1,000 plus hours of practice to perform it ?

Absolutely. I will tell them their show music and selection was not intricate or difficult. That doesn't mean they didn't work hard. I don't say anything I wouldn't say to the corps directly.

I loved SCV's show last year and think they could pull this off. I want to see them tackle Stravinsky's Rite of Spring. No Firebird mixed in. No other mix 'n match charts plugged in. Le sacre du printemps from start to finish.

This could win the award for dumbest comeback comment !!!

Its a forum....Its an opinion.

and that show was NOT as difficult as its peers. Do we all have to line up in front in the CAVIES and tell them ??

they know believe me.

Did they work hard... YES

Was it Entertaining , To some YES

was it difficult ,, no !!

How could you know it was a difficult show if you did not march the show ? Since we can't bring back the 135 members who marched that show to ask......I made my comment based on what the judges decided.

I think your show has to have a certain level of intricacy (Richness, layering) to finish 3rd at championships......no ?

That was by far the worst of the Cavalier shows of this decade, not a good example.

Boy, you have some tough standards: a comfortable third-place finish not good? You probably just don't like the show, and that's fine. I did like it.

Well, "not a good example" does not necessarily mean "not good", and given the number of first-place (4) and second-place (3) finishes that the Cavaliers had 2001-2010, it's not so odd to feel that this show, which didn't place that well, was one of their weaker entries.

The point I am making is that popular music (pop, rock, etc.) can] be competitive in today's activity, yet it is rarely featured and is almost never the makeup of a whole show. A lot of folks have said over recent years that corps cannot be competitive when playing such music. They have said the music is too simple, too repetitive.

And on the whole, those people are right. While there are exceptions, much popular vocal music depends for its achievements on the lyrics. To me, the Cavaliers' Billy Joel show only occasionally evokes the originals, and comes out sounding too much like their other music.