Reading

You paint a picture as if no one here would be qualified to be a DCA judge, or have the integrity and knowledge to put numbers on paper and comments on tape.

I didnt get that vibe at all. He simply said that if you think one thing but the judge thinks another, you will probably not have the same results in score/rankings. Where does he say non of us are qualified to be a judge?

Edited by skeptic

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didnt get that vibe at all. He simply said that if you think one thing but the judge thinks another, you will probably not have the same results in score/rankings. Where does he say non of us are qualified to be a judge?

This one. Not making any judgement on people that use this forum... but that does not excuse the fact that judges have their own opinions, as well. Their's are just as valid.

LOL - I was just thinking how funny some of the arguments get over whether or not people on this forum are qualified to judge and whether their opinions are valid. The same could be said for the judges if you really think about it. What makes them so much more qualified? A degree in music? Numerous years as a designer / teacher / performer? I'm sure there are a few rookie judges out there somewhere. I'm also certain there are a bunch of people on these forums with more experience than them. It doesn't make either one more or less of an expert, in my opinion. When you're dealing with a subjective activity, is there really a right & wrong? It's all in how you view it and what you see.

A lot of it for starters is simply having the desire and the guts to try it and hanging in there. A good, rounded knowledge base is helpful. An open mind to things you're not necessarily familiar with and an openness to things that aren't necessarily what you prefer but can still appreciate is also essential. :rolleyes:

LOL - I was just thinking how funny some of the arguments get over whether or not people on this forum are qualified to judge and whether their opinions are valid. The same could be said for the judges if you really think about it. What makes them so much more qualified? A degree in music? Numerous years as a designer / teacher / performer? I'm sure there are a few rookie judges out there somewhere. I'm also certain there are a bunch of people on these forums with more experience than them. It doesn't make either one more or less of an expert, in my opinion. When you're dealing with a subjective activity, is there really a right & wrong? It's all in how you view it and what you see.

...experience is the determinant factor. It's a two-edged sword sometimes, but, more often than not, it makes a person *more* qualified. Pick your poison...but experience affects "...how you view it and what you see" in SO many ways.

cg

...experience is the determinant factor. It's a two-edged sword sometimes, but, more often than not, it makes a person *more* qualified. Pick your poison...but experience affects "...how you view it and what you see" in SO many ways.

cg

Spot on. The other thing is to be able to use your previous experiences as a starting point to continue to grow and learn beyond that point so you can be as well-rounded as possible.

I have no problem with reading winning for the 6th time.... :)

I don't think having a college degree (or two) in Music is a bad thing as far as being qualified to judge DCA. I know some people imply this on here sometimes. I also think having experience teaching and/or designing at the higher levels of the activity are a big plus. I suppose some people become judges after just marching with or teaching consistently lower placing corps, but I can't think of too many that have stayed on the panel for very long.

Knowledge, Quality Experience and Integrity are the key traits of a good judge.

I don't think having a college degree (or two) in Music is a bad thing as far as being qualified to judge DCA. I know some people imply this on here sometimes. I also think having experience teaching and/or designing at the higher levels of the activity are a big plus. I suppose some people become judges after just marching with or teaching consistently lower placing corps, but I can't think of too many that have stayed on the panel for very long.

i've known judges that had no degree and never taught . they had marched for a time and that was it.

you'd be surprised at the resumes of some of the judges. Just because they were with a lower placing corps doesn't mean they aren't qualified.