DCW article regarding touring . . .

The key words from Hopkins are: Can we figure out how to be relevant again...

what the ^&%$ is the product?

When I started corps in 1970 there were lots of peripheral fans who had no direct involvement. They just went to shows and got entertained. Today they get bored real quick and I can't get them to reconsider another shot at the experience.

Regards,

John

John you hit my thoughts on whenever I see "relevant". First off what the Hades is the definition of relevance in DC? Is DCI supposed to shoot for being a teaching experience for the marchers? Is it some high falutin' musical group that tries to impress you with the level of talent? Or is it something that needs to go back to playing for the regular (non-DC affiliated) person so the bills can keep being paid?

IMO, DCI needs to pick one and then go for the gusto or stand by to pick up what pieces are left.

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People who would enjoy all kinds of music played with a unique, exciting sound against fast-paced, visually appealing drill formations? Say, people who like action movies, or the outdoors.

Drum corps is only as insular or inaccessible as show designers make it.

Delusional Thinking... IMHO

Uh huh. To test your theory, consider that the Quarterfinals moviecast is advertised with trailers at movie theaters all summer long. People who saw Iron Man 2 and The A Team, etc, etc, were all being exposed to the trailer when they went to go see their action movies.

How many of those people do you think showed up in August at the movie theater? Few, if any. Was it because they looked at a very exciting collection of snippets, and thought "I bet there's a show in there with some discordant music - I think I'll take a pass"? Yeah, probably not.

It appeals to those to whom it appeals. Considering that mainstream art forms like symphonies, live theatre, and art museums are still considered "niche activities" among the general public, it's a little presumptuous and a lot wrong to believe that if the "inaccessible" shows today were simply turned into...uh....what? -DCI's 1980s lineup of programs? - that all of a sudden, you'd have 30 million people pounding down the gates to buy tickets to their local show.

If you want to increase the size of the audience, work to increase the number of corps, since the audience for drum corps was and always has been those who have marched and those whose friends and families are marching today. The show designs have next to nothing to with it, but a less expensive, more localized form of competition for lower tier and mid-tier corps could (something that WAS part of the original G7 proposal, btw).

THIS is the case! If we were to add a complete ROCK n ROLL band... remove the horns and battery and use field marchers for drill maybe someone would find it relevent today but it is still too geeky to be mainstream!

Maybe not that high of a number, but yeah, that's the overall idea.

Why not try it out?

Because it is delusional thinking to believe that the masses will like what marching band geeks like YOU and like I like!

DCI isn't even on TV anymore! Is this because it was so popular among the masses back in the 80's when it was carried on PBS? or maybe in the 90's when it was on ESPN? Maybe NO ONE WANTS TO WATCH IT BUT US!!! That is what I think...

Edited by Big Bad Bari

I am amazed at how for years Mr. Hopkins (and others with less guts to be as vocal) have pretty much destroyed junior drum corps by pursuing this BOA, National Touring, "Art for Art's sake" model that killed off local corps and shows. But now there's a problem. Suddenly they have realized that the average community folks and veterans who they've alienated with their synth laden "Art" aren't coming, and the bills don't get paid without the 'simple folk' in the stands. So now there's a problem.. :sleeping:

John you hit my thoughts on whenever I see "relevant". First off what the Hades is the definition of relevance in DC? Is DCI supposed to shoot for being a teaching experience for the marchers? Is it some high falutin' musical group that tries to impress you with the level of talent? Or is it something that needs to go back to playing for the regular (non-DC affiliated) person so the bills can keep being paid?

IMO, DCI needs to pick one and then go for the gusto or stand by to pick up what pieces are left.

I took relevant to mean -to those who pay the bills; the audience. There can be a few layers of relevance, especially regarding to those who do the performing, but in the end money has to change hands for this activity to stay alive. Therefore I believe George meant relevant to the paying public - at least I really hope he meant that.

Regards,

John

Edited by sarnia sam

Take the judges out of it completely, and move it to 100% audience appreciation. Hand out scannable cards to every paid patron,which will be a finite set (and not reproducible).Allow the audience to set the order. You'll need 300 workers to collect the ballots in a timely fashion. They will dump their ballots into a special bin that organizes and counts. This might take 30 minutes.

It's perfectly fine for patrons to show up at 6PM, turn in their ballot before they even hear anyone, as long as they paid for a seat...after all, we're admitting that it's just a popularity contest anyway, right?

Others have mentioned the use of Cell Phones. That's not fair, since not everyone has a textable phone service/ I'm not sure about the repeatable use (ballot stuffing),either...is it possible to vote more than once using a text-based ballot system?

I like this model. It is STILL competitive, just in a different way.

People might feel different about that 25 / 35 dollar ticket if they have a voice in who was the most entertaining that evening.

I am amazed at how for years Mr. Hopkins (and others with less guts to be as vocal) have pretty much destroyed junior drum corps by pursuing this BOA, National Touring, "Art for Art's sake" model that killed off local corps and shows. But now there's a problem. Suddenly they have realized that the average community folks and veterans who they've alienated with their synth laden "Art" aren't coming, and the bills don't get paid without the 'simple folk' in the stands. So now there's a problem.. :doh:

:sleeping::devil::sleeping::devil::sleeping::worthy::thumbup::worthy::blink::worthy:

If we were to add a complete ROCK n ROLL band... remove the horns and battery and use field marchers for drill maybe someone would find it relevent today but it is still too geeky to be mainstream!

What is inherently geeky about performing music and forming visually pleasing formations? The only thing "geeky" about drum corps is godawful spandex color guard costumes, poorly thought out and abstract themes, "modernized" skin-tight uniforms, cheesy synth patches, incomprehensible marimba-mashing, and plenty of childish, uncomfortable elements you would never find in any mainstream performing art. Take those out and you can appeal to anyone. People like loud, people like beautiful, people like shapes that come out of nowhere, people like company fronts, people like entertaining. Sure, not everyone is going be into it, but not everyone likes Broadway or NASCAR, right?

How many people in the audience in my signature had nothing to do with drum corps, and came to the show to be entertained, and by the looks of it, were?

Because it is delusional thinking to believe that the masses will like what marching band geeks like YOU and like I like!

I have nothing to do with marching band.

Edited by Hrothgar15

What is inherently geeky about performing music and forming visually pleasing formations?

Ask the general public who would easily drop major cash to see Lady Gaga, but who would rather cut out their larnyx than see ANYTHING corps/band related.

but who would rather cut out their larnyx than see ANYTHING corps/band related.

And why do you think that is? Hell, I'm a huge fan and I'd rather do that than watch some of the 2010 shows again.

Edited by Hrothgar15

And why do you think that is? Hell, I'm a huge fan and I'd rather do that than watch some of the 2010 shows again.

You are obviously looking at the issue thru your OWN glasses, as opposed to trying to look at it thru the glasses of another.