DCA Crowd

OK, this was only my 2nd DCA trip and I must say that it was an amazing couple of days of drum corps. Kudos to all the corps on a job well done. I must say though I was surprised that the crowds seemed so subdued. There were so many great moments in so many of the shows that were screaming for people to leap out of their seats but very few did. Is this always the way at DCA? Was it because of the chilly weather, people didn't want to get up in the middle of the show? Just curious.

I blame the weather.

OK, this was only my 2nd DCA trip and I must say that it was an amazing couple of days of drum corps. Kudos to all the corps on a job well done. I must say though I was surprised that the crowds seemed so subdued. There were so many great moments in so many of the shows that were screaming for people to leap out of their seats but very few did. Is this always the way at DCA? Was it because of the chilly weather, people didn't want to get up in the middle of the show? Just curious.

I watch the shows and cheer loudly at the end,..............I was upset tho with the Hurricanes staff complimenting their corps during their performance while I was trying to watch and listen,..............they were right above me and it was quite distracting to say the least,.................one of my pet peeves

I think the weather had a big part in it.. Saturday didnt produce the ovations that sunday did because of the worse weather. Another factor is the average age of the audience at a DCA show is much older than the age at say a DCI show.. and the older crowds tend to not stand up and scream as much.. I see the same thing at Giants games because the season ticket holders are older and less likely to jump out of thier seats

I blame the weather for a lot too. I cheered but not as much standing up as usual. LOL - hard to cheer loud when you take someone to the car for a bit to warm up Sunday night.

I watch the shows and cheer loudly at the end,..............I was upset tho with the Hurricanes staff complimenting their corps during their performance while I was trying to watch and listen,..............they were right above me and it was quite distracting to say the least,.................one of my pet peeves

Hate to say it but yeah..... noticed one guy in particular..... and I like the Hurcs.....

Saturday most people were frozen in their seats wrapped in anything to keep warm, including each other. :tongue: Frozen fingers may have dampened efforts to clap. Standing was out of the question.

After the prelims most went back to their respective hotels to warm up with good friends, endlessly talk about the prelims, and telling and retelling stories and laughs over their favorite libations. This masked other symptoms that would make themselves known on Sunday. :thumbdown:

On Sunday leaping out of one's seat would have been a dangerous act. Some clapping and short yells are equivalent to a mass and appreciative standing roar in other venues. Standing up at the end of a program to show approval is done slowly and carefully. :lol:

Some may have nodded off. :starwars:

Of course, there are exceptions.

:tongue:

What a BLAST!! Would do it again in a New York minute.

Edit: added a phrase.

Edited by Mellofello01

LOL, a lot was freezin' in the seats by all accounts.

Kind of funny Gary mentions that kind of thing with the Hurcs. In their defense, I have my semi-educated guesses about why they did it.

They're a pretty young corps, could be they were a bit in a funk over 4th, knew they had Cabs breathing down their necks, and they needed that kind of encouragement from the staff. Sometimes, a staff can drive a group hard and they have to let their people know that even though they've worked them really hard, they love 'em when push comes to shove.

Sometimes, you have to pat your people on the back, and yeah, it can drive some folks nuts, but my guess was they all needed that from each other. Nothing was better for myself and others at times when we'd see Eric Kitchenmen react positively to our performance. We knew we'd REALLY done something special then. And for that matter, Dave Rohrer when he'd keep his hands in his pockets to avoid coaching penalties and hop around all excited with that big smile when we were really doing well. We'd dig out an extra something from ourselves when that happened, so, maybe they needed that extra encouragement, and I'll go with it- whatever it took to draw out their best.

Not to derail the thread but....

Staff member Gary and I were referring to was in the pressbox right behind the lower deck crowd. IIRC some of the yells were done in the middle of phrases. And when I looked the guy was at the front of the pressbox which meant the crowd got to hear the encouragement a lot better than the corps did. Hell at one time he drowned out a softer passage.....

Jeesh..... and I'll probably be in the same hotel as the Hurcs again next year. :starwars:

Oh yeah.... the ONLY coffee was at the OTHER side of the stadium...... and hot chocolcate was behind the end zone. Can't be in your seat to cheer if you're trudging to one or the other... :thumbdown:

Edited by JimF-LowBari

The weather...? Really...? Remember Ernesto...? That's a pretty lame excuse IMO. If and when there is a seat-jumping...standing-0 performance given the fans will respond accordingly.

Light it up and entertain me and I'll be the first one on my feet.