DCA Crowd

Your statement seems to characterise fans as favoring one particular Corps' over another by geographical region. HUH...?

Ya think? :spitting:

South, North, Midwest, West, Mars, Tibet

Man.... and folks think the weather in Rochester is cold.

That Tibet Invitational would be a bone-chiller. :spitting:

Edited by Fran Haring

No question, you're right.

But please don't forget about the silly little word that my post had in parentheses - PAYING.

If Corps A is the only one entertaining a crowd of "popcorn eaters," how many of them are going to come next year? And if the crowd size keeps getting smaller each year, how long do you think that show sponsor is going to keep beating his/her head against a wall? How long will it be before the "20th Annual D&B Corps Contest" is replaced by the "1st Annual Tractor Pull?"

Corps B may win and may have an easier time recruiting, but if their show is way over the head of the (paying) audience, who cares? Corps B can recruit it's brains out, but if there aren't any shows to perform at....

But then, I've stated my case about the importance of paying customers in other threads, so....

you're 100% correct.....in my busiest year,1972, i competed in 18 shows......fast forward to 2010...where are the big crowds and sponsers of yesteryear?

fast forward to 2010...where are the big crowds and sponsers of yesteryear?

Not sure about the sponsors. My guess is that many of them no longer have the money to sponsor shows. Many are probably no longer in existance.

I've previously mentioned what I feel affects the crowds these days. Families have far more diversions. Kids have more activities. The idea of a night home is something many people cherish in this hectic world. Drum corps is also fighting a gazzillion different styles of entertainment being thrown at people from far more directions. Not only do you have on average well over 100 channels on your tv to choose from, you have "On Demand", "Pay-Per-View", plus x-box, Wii, playstation, etc. Drum corps is competing for peoples' attention and fighting a very hard battle. It's cheaper to go out to the movies than to a show. It's cheaper to stay home than go to a show.

I doubt there will come a time when the big crowds of yester-year will be revisited.

Guess I've really struggled with this topic the past several days. Maybe I'm in the minority but from where I stood I thought the crowd was very appreciative and responsive.

Sure, the parochial support for their favorites will always be there, but I watched folks wearing their 'home team's' shirts and jackets applaud, cheer and even give a standing O for what we gave them on the field.

they didn't disappoint me.

Not sure about the sponsors. My guess is that many of them no longer have the money to sponsor shows. Many are probably no longer in existance.

I doubt there will come a time when the big crowds of yester-year will be revisited.

Have seen this first hand while competing in the RCA in the mid 70s Liz. Was in a lot of shows in the middle of no where with a lot of the locals attending. At the beginning, ticket prices were only a few bucks which made for cheap family entertainment and STILL leave enough profit margin for the fire company, civic group, local band/corps to make money. Then gas and other items went up and the ticket prices had to go up for the sponsor to make a profit. Locals decided the increased price wasn't worth it and stayed home. And since it was in the middle of no where it wasn't like there was a lot of possible attendees to begin with.

To put it another way... if it wasn't for Drum Corps I never would have seen Succasanna(sp), NJ, Frackville, PA, Johnsonburg, PA, Bradford, PA...... they all had a stadium and put on at least one show...

As for the last sentence, yep..... local show used to be competitively priced with other forms of enteratinment for the evening (movie, dinner out, etc). Now with todays expenses... YOW....

Edited by JimF-LowBari

I have wracked my brain for a long time and I still don't know what IIRC is an acronym for. Please enlighten me.

If i recall correctly

As for the last sentence, yep..... local show used to be competitively priced with other forms of enteratinment for the evening (movie, dinner out, etc). Now with todays expenses... YOW....

Some people have mentioned corps should be playing songs people know and recognize and all that earlier in the thread. That won't make a difference in the long run. Drum corps is competing with the likes of Avatar. Drum corps may have props, but special effects? Not so much.

To whom should the music be recognizable? Which generation? The young girls in the audience probably think Justin Beiber is recognizable and the older folks would say WHO? Not everyone knows what is being played on Broadway and yes, many people don't listen to classical. I am not a fan of country and yes, I know many, many people would consider it to be something they recognize if they heard it out on the field.....

Answers, thoughts, comments, I'm really curious to hear what people think IS recognizable and should be played...

Answers, thoughts, comments, I'm really curious to hear what people think IS recognizable and should be played...

*UGH* I can think of stuff that would be recognizible across generations but I would not want to hear much (if anything) of it. Most of it is popular music from the past, historical ("Battle Hymn") or written by John Philip Sousa.

*UGH* I can think of stuff that would be recognizible across generations but I would not want to hear much (if anything) of it. Most of it is popular music from the past, historical ("Battle Hymn") or written by John Philip Sousa.

And yet I think that would be incredibly boring. To the point that I wouldn't pay to come see drum corps anymore.