Raising DCI's Ageout Limit

A common theme in the woodwinds discussion is that by having the instrumentation DCI corps currently do, the organization is excluding hundreds of people who would otherwise participate. But DCI excludes a substantially larger chunk of willing marchers as well, and no one ever seems to complain about it: young adults in the 22-26 age range. In an age where life expectancy is almost 10 years greater than it was during DCI's inception, and with people entering the workforce later and later, does it really make sense to keep the age cap at 21? Why is 21 the magic number to be considered a "youth activity"?

What would be the advantages and disadvantages of opening up this previously excluded demographic for eligibility in DCI?

Edited by Hrothgar15
  • Like 1

College ends for most folks around 22 . . . after that, it's assumed that you go out and attempt to make your way in the world, using your degree for . . .well . . . something. :tongue:

I think you'll find the majority of 22-26 year old folks looking for something else than marching for the summer, especially as you creep towards the mid-to-late 20's.

It's very easy to move things around at college to make time to attend rehearsals or camps. . . . however, once you start to factor in first jobs, new families and the like, the "benefit" would be non-existent to most corps or prospective members.

I would support raising it about a year, to fit the fact that most college students arent finishing in 4 years anymore. there are plenty of people, like myself, that age out, do their 4th year of school, have a summer off (i interned) and then finish their last 1-2 semesters.

Nothing like going out on a date when you're 25 and impressing the ladies by saying, "Yeah I spend my summer marching and playing my horn ... I'm gone for over 2 months". Not so hot unless she's a band geek or ex drum corps person themselves. Know what I'm sayin?

• Like 1

A common theme in the woodwinds discussion is that by having the instrumentation DCI corps currently do, the organization is excluding hundreds of people who would otherwise participate. But DCI excludes a substantially larger chunk of willing marchers as well, and no one ever seems to complain about it: young adults in the 22-26 age range. In an age where life expectancy is almost 10 years greater than it was during DCI's inception, and with people entering the workforce later and later, does it really make sense to keep the age cap at 21? Why is 21 the magic number to be considered a "youth activity"?

What would be the advantages and disadvantages of opening up this previously excluded demographic for eligibility in DCI?

Let's say DCI raised the age limit to 30. Or let's say DCI went all-age. What would be the affect on other circuits?

well....if DCI were to go all age, the schedule would have to tour. you don't make a good career ( or resume) playing drum corps full time at 30.

I say we leave it where it is. Part of DCI's charter is that it is a youth activity. Unless you're 70, I don't see 30 year olds getting called kids.

• Like 1

I think they should change it so that 22 is the ageout year for everybody. It's kind of unfair that some people get to march at that age just because their birthday is during the summer, and other folks get left out.

The same would happen no matter what the age limit or date. There will always be people who just missed it and feel left out.