Raising DCI's Ageout Limit

Wait did you mean this? We tax "wealth" more, but "...if the wealthy were taxed their fair share..."? You mean if the wealthy weren't taxed AS MUCH we'd have fewer poor kids?

Please correct or explain because it doesn't make sense after my 3rd and 4th reading.

Yeah,..we tax work more than wealth...Fixed.

The age-out limit for any "youth activity" should be 18. Finish high school, finish junior corps, START college/working.

Oh because so many people take off college to do drum corps. I would like to see the demand and excellence of DCI now with only people under 18 in it. Besides that, a lot of people can't even get jobs until they're 16-18 so good bye to tons of people paying for it themselves if the limit is 18. I am not a proponent of raising the age limit but really? 18? Many college kids spend their summer partying or working minimum wage, so is it really that important to "get out there in life"?

Oh because so many people take off college to do drum corps. I would like to see the demand and excellence of DCI now with only people under 18 in it. Besides that, a lot of people can't even get jobs until they're 16-18 so good bye to tons of people paying for it themselves if the limit is 18. I am not a proponent of raising the age limit but really? 18? Many college kids spend their summer partying or working minimum wage, so is it really that important to "get out there in life"?

No it's not that important because the Real World life is still going to be waiting for you after you age out at 21-22. If drum corps is your passion and you're getting the right experience from it, the lessons learned on tour will serve you far better in the Adult world than what you might learn working at the IHOP for 2.65 an hour plus tips. Do what you love when you love it .. because you only live once and getting out early will only leave you with regrets. I know I have plenty of regrets for not marching my last 2 years.

The reason I would support an age-out increase to 22 or 23 would be financial. I simply can't afford drum corps, not with the expenses that come with being a college music major. A higher age max would allow me to graduate, get a full-time job, and hopefully be financially stable enough to march a year or two before aging out. Then I'd do DCA. DCI is, unfortunately, largely an activity for the privileged, which is unfortunate, considering drum corps' beginnings. People wonder why there are fewer corps and fewer people trying out- it's simple. It costs too **** much for most of us.

Yet, when most are starting college they can be drafted, and in their second or third year they can buy liquor. Just because they're still going to school at 24 or 25 they're still "youts". Don't think so.

the draft is back?

More the reason why DCI should have an all age division.

why? really it's because of schedule and finances. DCI should do what they do, and let DCA do what they do. There's enough in both to go around

• Like 1

The age-out limit for any "youth activity" should be 18. Finish high school, finish junior corps, START college/working.

Inserts George Carlin's 'American Dream' bit.

Not only are there definite ethical considerations in a corps that marches 14 year olds along side 26 year olds...

That plus the fact that even if the rule were changed to allow me to march in my mid 20's, I wouldn't want to spend a whole summer on a bus with 14 year olds, even if they were crazy mature for their age. No offense to any talented young musicians, but other then drum corps, what the heck would we talk about?! Your 8th grade classes last year vs. my grad school thesis? Twilight? The Twitter? :tongue:

How many 14 year olds really march in the top levels anyways? I only remember a couple when i marched with a corps whose average age was considerably less than those at the top (and that of the current average age), and even then, the only ones that i recall being that young were some of the most mature for their age id ever met (they are now leaders within the corps, not surprisingly)

Itd be kinda cool to see the age breakdown of the various corps..

Edited by AlexL

Academy didn't do a full tour until two years ago and they still have significant time in Tempe during the early season.

Yeah, if DCA can manage drum corps with a schedule, I would not see why DCI could not.

DCI could then have the regional and separate national touring model that many here say is necessary for survival of DCI.

Just one observation: DCA doesn't have to schedule corps moving around the country in the middle of a week.