Ridiculous drill moves.....

Andyroo

as for a lot of the body work today...some of it does look silly, and it seems you see the same ones time and time and time and time and time and time again.

look at drum solos today.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keith, you're right in several respects. I am showing my age, no question about it.

And you said that hornlines have been doing it for years. In my mind, that doesn't necessarily make it right. Besides, I haven't seen corps on the field for years - I've usually been "standing in the corner" - as Ron Allard would be quick to point out - with my back to the field, so this squatting and milling around came as something of an unpleasant surprise.

And most important, you say "you want to watch the 'old days' you go to the alumni show." I do. Actually, I've been in the alumni show for the past six years. I will tell you, however, that the day the drum major tells me to squat is the very same day (actually, the same minute) that I pack my car up and head back west.

And you said that I'll be pummelled on here for my opinion. You may well be right, but I'd venture a guess that there are a lot more people in this section of DCP who agree with me than you might think.

I'm not opposed to change, or to progress, or to innovation. The Edsel represented innovation. The eight-track tape was progress. Turbine engines in cars was progress. Neanderthal Man represented evolution. Perhaps squatting and milling around should be relegated to the same place those things are.

Anyway, that's my opinion and I'm sticking by it.

Don't forget Beta tapes, Andy! For the record, you are making perfect sense as far as I'm concerned. Besides that, if they asked me to squat, I'd rip the crotch out of my uniform pants!

Andy, Ady, Andy! Showing your age man. Where have you been? Horn lines have been doing that for years in DCA and DCI. It's all body movement and really just an evolution of drum corps. You want to watch the "old days" you go to the Alumni show. I get criticized by many for living in the 70's and 80's because of my choice of music I listen to (I love the 60's too as well as Buddy Holly). You have your opinion and I respect that so just chalk it up to change and leave it alone because you will get pummeled on here for your opinion.

Buddy Holly was a genius ahead of his time. (and yes I am 21 and a big fan of Buddy Holly)

Its like anything else in drumcorps, sometimes it works and sometimes its a lazy fix.

Here are 2 examples for you dinos to discuss

1987 Garfield Cadets,dissapearing reappearing front. Scatter?Effective?

Bridgemen and Skyliners "traffic jamming" around the field into a wedge. Scatter? Effective?

Yeah... Michael Gaines often gives the Cavaliers the "kiss of death" with all the scatters they do... or Myron Rosander when he was at Vanguard. We shall agree to disagree on this one.

If you have Myron Rosander or Michael Gaines writing your program - you trust them to do whatever they think is right... you are very fortunate...

it's the other couple hundred writers I worry about...

as for a lot of the body work today...some of it does look silly, and it seems you see the same ones time and time and time and time and time and time again.

look at drum solos today.

Thank you, Jeff, for reinforcing my point. If every corps does it, how creative can it be?

Perhaps even more to the point, one corps did what everyone seems to be calling a "scatter drill" three times during their program. Such creativity!!! :angel1:

RFLMOA!!!! I just got a PM from a "former" friend who said, "Look Andy, I'll tell you where and when to squat!!"

My response was simple. "Why don't you put your hat on the field precisely where you want me to squat!"

I left out the part about then telling him to pull it down over his ears.

Its like anything else in drumcorps, sometimes it works and sometimes its a lazy fix.

Here are 2 examples for you dinos to discuss

1987 Garfield Cadets,dissapearing reappearing front. Scatter?Effective?

Bridgemen and Skyliners "traffic jamming" around the field into a wedge. Scatter? Effective?

I notice that you have marched in two of the three corps you have cited here.

That doesn't mean anything about anything. I am simply saying I was sharp enough to notice. :spitting:

Fran,

I have noticed that when you are wearing one of your more, say, flamboyant shirts, :spitting: everyone scatters.

:spitting:

See you next week

Fran,

I have noticed that when you are wearing one of your more, say, flamboyant shirts, :spitting: everyone scatters.

:spitting:

See you next week

LOL!!!!

Looking forward to the reunion/dinner... see you then!