Ridiculous drill moves.....

Andyroo

I hadn't seen a competing DCA corps all season, usually being out in the parking lot getting dressed. I did, however, get to see them in Rochester a couple of weeks ago and was appalled by some of the things I saw.

For example.... I didn't realize that some of the hornlines actually squat on the field. I had a dog that used to squat like that, and I had to clean up after her. If I had known before that corps were doing that, I'd have kept my eyes on the grass when I went on the field after them.

If a corps is trying to elicit a response from the audience, then a squat on the field will certainly get one - a chuckle or possbily even a guffaw. I don't think, however, that's the response they're looking for.

Perhaps even worse was the drill move(?) that a several corps did - one corps doing it three times. At the conclusion of a formation or a tune, everything would stop. They'd suddenly start screaming and running around like crazy, stopping at their next mark.

Now, as far back as the Fifties I saw high school bands doing the same thing - but usually when they were finished outlining a ship and running to set up "BHS" on the field. It was ludicrous when they did it then, and it's ludicrous when a corps does it now.

The very first thing that came to mind was a lack of creativity (or talent) on the part of the person writing the drill. He or she simply couldn't figure out how to move the corps from one formation into another, so the command was given "Mill Around! MILL!!"

I certainly hope I'm not alone is reacting this way to some of the bizarre movements I saw on the field - and I don't think I am. I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Andy

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<snip>

Perhaps even worse was the drill move(?) that a several corps did - one corps doing it three times. At the conclusion of a formation or a tune, everything would stop. They'd suddenly start screaming and running around like crazy, stopping at their next mark.

<snip

Andy

Andy.

Ala Bridgemen "Crazy Shift?" It kinda looks OK when THEY do it....although I prefer to keep "freeball" steps to Sky's traffic jam......

Joe

Andy.

Ala Bridgemen "Crazy Shift?"

Joe

That was the first thing that came to mind for me (both my older brothers marched Bayonne 81):angel1: DCIs' first scatter drill??

Edited by nngs9

At the conclusion of a formation or a tune, everything would stop. They'd suddenly start screaming and running around like crazy, stopping at their next mark.

This was in fashion for DCI corps, one season about a decade ago.

Didn't make any sense. "Run around, go crazy, have fun, kids.

But only for 16 counts.

On count 17 be back in strict military mode."

Edited by HornsUp

That was the first thing that came to mind for me (both my older brothers marched Bayonne 81):tongue: DCIs' first scatter drill!!

Did they yell..."Transition" back then too..? :angel1:

Andy, Ady, Andy! Showing your age man. Where have you been? Horn lines have been doing that for years in DCA and DCI. It's all body movement and really just an evolution of drum corps. You want to watch the "old days" you go to the Alumni show. I get criticized by many for living in the 70's and 80's because of my choice of music I listen to (I love the 60's too as well as Buddy Holly). You have your opinion and I respect that so just chalk it up to change and leave it alone because you will get pummeled on here for your opinion.

I hadn't seen a competing DCA corps all season, usually being out in the parking lot getting dressed. I did, however, get to see them in Rochester a couple of weeks ago and was appalled by some of the things I saw.

For example.... I didn't realize that some of the hornlines actually squat on the field. I had a dog that used to squat like that, and I had to clean up after her. If I had known before that corps were doing that, I'd have kept my eyes on the grass when I went on the field after them.

If a corps is trying to elicit a response from the audience, then a squat on the field will certainly get one - a chuckle or possbily even a guffaw. I don't think, however, that's the response they're looking for.

Now, as far back as the Fifties I saw high school bands doing the same thing - but usually when they were finished outlining a ship and running to set up "BHS" on the field. It was ludicrous when they did it then, and it's ludicrous when a corps does it now.

The very first thing that came to mind was a lack of creativity (or talent) on the part of the person writing the drill. He or she simply couldn't figure out how to move the corps from one formation into another, so the command was given "Mill Around! MILL!!"

I certainly hope I'm not alone is reacting this way to some of the bizarre movements I saw on the field - and I don't think I am. I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Andy

That was the first thing that came to mind for me (both my older brothers marched Bayonne 81):angel1: DCIs' first scatter drill!!

the danger with declaring something 'first' is that it may not be.

I did scatter drill back in 1973 - and I'm sure others did it even earlier. did it for the entire drum solo, so we had plenty of time to get from 'here to there'. So I usually found the closest judge and followed him for a while....

But Bayonne certainly did it with panache!

Andy,

That is so funny that you say this,,, I too looked at a few corps at DCA squat, I just laughed my ### off! It looks like they all have to,,, well,,,, dump!

Maybe its art???? Who knows,,, it does look silly!

Andy, Ady, Andy! Showing your age man. Where have you been? Horn lines have been doing that for years in DCA and DCI. It's all body movement and really just an evolution of drum corps. You want to watch the "old days" you go to the Alumni show. I get criticized by many for living in the 70's and 80's because of my choice of music I listen to (I love the 60's too as well as Buddy Holly). You have your opinion and I respect that so just chalk it up to change and leave it alone because you will get pummeled on here for your opinion.

Keith, you're right in several respects. I am showing my age, no question about it.

And you said that hornlines have been doing it for years. In my mind, that doesn't necessarily make it right. Besides, I haven't seen corps on the field for years - I've usually been "standing in the corner" - as Ron Allard would be quick to point out - with my back to the field, so this squatting and milling around came as something of an unpleasant surprise.

And most important, you say "you want to watch the 'old days' you go to the alumni show." I do. Actually, I've been in the alumni show for the past six years. I will tell you, however, that the day the drum major tells me to squat is the very same day (actually, the same minute) that I pack my car up and head back west.

And you said that I'll be pummelled on here for my opinion. You may well be right, but I'd venture a guess that there are a lot more people in this section of DCP who agree with me than you might think.

I'm not opposed to change, or to progress, or to innovation. The Edsel represented innovation. The eight-track tape was progress. Turbine engines in cars was progress. Neanderthal Man represented evolution. Perhaps squatting and milling around should be relegated to the same place those things are.

Anyway, that's my opinion and I'm sticking by it.

Andy's point on scatter drills is well taken and yes I can remember scatter drills in the early 60's... and guess what? They didn't get any credit then and they don't now... I have NO IDEA why some insist on using them... a visual score is built on accomplishment and giving up on adding to the accomplishment during a strong transition is throwing score out the window.

Suffice to say, whenever a move like this is added to your show - you know the staff has given up on the season. If that is not the case? The corps needs to give up on the staff...

Oh and yes... somewhere out there in history is a free style move (like Bayonne) that fit the image so well it became a positive but they are the rarest of exceptions.