What the fans want...2011

Listen, I'm seriously not playing devils advocate. Decibels only measure the quantity of sound, not the quality. I don't see adding in 50 50 woodwinds brass as a viable option, but if it did, I think it would force DCI hornlines to stop playing so out of control and out of balance and start thinking of themselves as a musical ensemble, which I don't hear a whole lot of right now.

Regarding the bolded portion of your quote:

1. When was the last time you heard a DCI hornline?

2. Was that most recent experience a live performance, or a recording/theater broadcast? (Hint - recordings/broadcasts can alter the balance/blend dramatically, especially when shotgun mics are used.)

3. When you attended shows most recently, where were you sitting? (Hint - when my seat is outside the 20 yard lines, I don't hear much balance either.)

So you think WW players can't play with great passion?

Good grief....where did he say that?

I think his point (or certainly my point, at least) would be that whatever passion woodwinds generate does not project as well outdoors, compared to that of bell-front brass.

Nice try but this has to much natural flow for today's innovative thought

Fourscore and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent a new nation, conceived in liberty and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal. Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation or any nation so conceived and so dedicated can long endure. We are met on a great battlefield of that war. We have come to dedicate a portion of that field as a final resting-place for those who here gave their lives that that nation might live. It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this.

You ask, what is our aim? I can answer in one word. It is victory. Victory at all costs - Victory in spite of all terrors - Victory, however long and hard the road may be, for without victory there is no survival. Let that be realized. No survival for the British Empire, no survival for all that the British Empire has stood for, no survival for the urge, the impulse of the ages, that mankind shall move forward toward his goal. We shall not flag nor fail. We shall go on to the end. We shall fight in France and on the seas and oceans; we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air. We shall defend our island whatever the cost may be; we shall fight on beaches, landing grounds, in fields, in streets and on the hills. We shall never surrender and even if, which I do not for the moment believe, this island or a large part of it were subjugated and starving, then our empire beyond the seas, armed and guarded by the British Fleet, will carry on the struggle until in God's good time the New World with all its power and might, sets forth to the liberation and rescue of the Old.

You can see that "there is no easy walk to freedom anywhere, and many of us will have to pass through the valley of the shadow (of death) again and again before we reach the mountain tops of our desires.

Dangers and difficulties have not deterred us in the past, they will not frighten us now. But we must be prepared for them like men in business who do not waste energy in vain talk and idle action. The way of preparation (for action) lies in our rooting out all impurity and indiscipline from our organisation and making it the bright and shining instrument that will cleave its way to freedom.

Many years ago the great British explorer George Mallory, who was to die on Mount Everest, was asked why did he want to climb it. He said, "Because it is there." Well, space is there, and we're going to climb it, and the moon and the planets are there, and new hopes for knowledge and peace are there. And, therefore, as we set sail we ask God's blessing on the most hazardous and dangerous and greatest adventure on which man has ever embarked.

The white man's world is newer world than the black man's world. If this man said that they were about to make man, and he said we would make him how -in your image -this shows you that there's somebody there with him. "Let us make man on our image, in our likeness. Let us make him look like us. He won't be the same as we are, he'll be in our image." That's God talking, right? He's talking to somebody.

It would be fatal for the nation to overlook the urgency of the moment and to underestimate the determination of the Negro. This sweltering summer of the Negro's legitimate discontent will not pass until there is an invigorating autumn of freedom and equality. Nineteen sixty-three is not an end, but a beginning. Those who hope that the Negro needed to blow off steam and will now be content will have a rude awakening if the nation returns to business as usual. There will be neither rest nor tranquillity in America until the Negro is granted his citizenship rights. The whirlwinds of revolt will continue to shake the foundations of our nation until the bright day of justice emerges.

Well, I don't know what will happen now. We've got some difficult days ahead. But it doesn't matter with me now. Because I've been to the mountaintop. And I don't mind. Like anybody, I would like to live a long life. Longevity has its place. But I'm not concerned about that now. I just want to do God's will. And He's allowed me to go up to the mountain. And I've looked over. Many years ago the great British explorer George Mallory. And I'm happy, tonight. I'm not worried about anything. I'm not fearing any man. Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord.

The crew of the space shuttle Challenger honoured us by the manner in which they lived their lives. We will never forget them, nor the last time we saw them, this morning, as they prepared for their journey and waved goodbye, and "slipped the surly bonds of earth" to "touch the face of God."

Thank you all for this opportunity to present my new show to you - I hope you've enjoyed this new art form!

Try this instead:

Fourscore and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent a new nation,and many of us will have to pass through the valley of the shadow (of death, space shuttle Challenger honoured us by the manner in which they lived their lives. Subjugated and starving, then our empire beyond the seas, armed and guarded by the British Fleet, many years ago the great British explorer George Mallory, we shall fight on beaches, landing grounds, in fields, in streets and on the hills.

You get the point right

Nice try but this has to much natural flow for today's innovative thought

Fourscore and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent a new nation, conceived in liberty and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal. Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation or any nation so conceived and so dedicated can long endure. We are met on a great battlefield of that war. We have come to dedicate a portion of that field as a final resting-place for those who here gave their lives that that nation might live. It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this.

You ask, what is our aim? I can answer in one word. It is victory. Victory at all costs - Victory in spite of all terrors - Victory, however long and hard the road may be, for without victory there is no survival. Let that be realized. No survival for the British Empire, no survival for all that the British Empire has stood for, no survival for the urge, the impulse of the ages, that mankind shall move forward toward his goal. We shall not flag nor fail. We shall go on to the end. We shall fight in France and on the seas and oceans; we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air. We shall defend our island whatever the cost may be; we shall fight on beaches, landing grounds, in fields, in streets and on the hills. We shall never surrender and even if, which I do not for the moment believe, this island or a large part of it were subjugated and starving, then our empire beyond the seas, armed and guarded by the British Fleet, will carry on the struggle until in God's good time the New World with all its power and might, sets forth to the liberation and rescue of the Old.

You can see that "there is no easy walk to freedom anywhere, and many of us will have to pass through the valley of the shadow (of death) again and again before we reach the mountain tops of our desires.

Dangers and difficulties have not deterred us in the past, they will not frighten us now. But we must be prepared for them like men in business who do not waste energy in vain talk and idle action. The way of preparation (for action) lies in our rooting out all impurity and indiscipline from our organisation and making it the bright and shining instrument that will cleave its way to freedom.

Many years ago the great British explorer George Mallory, who was to die on Mount Everest, was asked why did he want to climb it. He said, "Because it is there." Well, space is there, and we're going to climb it, and the moon and the planets are there, and new hopes for knowledge and peace are there. And, therefore, as we set sail we ask God's blessing on the most hazardous and dangerous and greatest adventure on which man has ever embarked.

The white man's world is newer world than the black man's world. If this man said that they were about to make man, and he said we would make him how -in your image -this shows you that there's somebody there with him. "Let us make man on our image, in our likeness. Let us make him look like us. He won't be the same as we are, he'll be in our image." That's God talking, right? He's talking to somebody.

It would be fatal for the nation to overlook the urgency of the moment and to underestimate the determination of the Negro. This sweltering summer of the Negro's legitimate discontent will not pass until there is an invigorating autumn of freedom and equality. Nineteen sixty-three is not an end, but a beginning. Those who hope that the Negro needed to blow off steam and will now be content will have a rude awakening if the nation returns to business as usual. There will be neither rest nor tranquillity in America until the Negro is granted his citizenship rights. The whirlwinds of revolt will continue to shake the foundations of our nation until the bright day of justice emerges.

Well, I don't know what will happen now. We've got some difficult days ahead. But it doesn't matter with me now. Because I've been to the mountaintop. And I don't mind. Like anybody, I would like to live a long life. Longevity has its place. But I'm not concerned about that now. I just want to do God's will. And He's allowed me to go up to the mountain. And I've looked over. Many years ago the great British explorer George Mallory. And I'm happy, tonight. I'm not worried about anything. I'm not fearing any man. Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord.

The crew of the space shuttle Challenger honoured us by the manner in which they lived their lives. We will never forget them, nor the last time we saw them, this morning, as they prepared for their journey and waved goodbye, and "slipped the surly bonds of earth" to "touch the face of God."

Thank you all for this opportunity to present my new show to you - I hope you've enjoyed this new art form!

Try this instead:

Fourscore and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent a new nation,and many of us will have to pass through the valley of the shadow (of death, space shuttle Challenger honoured us by the manner in which they lived their lives. Subjugated and starving, then our empire beyond the seas, armed and guarded by the British Fleet, many years ago the great British explorer George Mallory, we shall fight on beaches, landing grounds, in fields, in streets and on the hills.

You get the point right

what is this I don't even

• Like 1

Regarding the bolded portion of your quote:

1. When was the last time you heard a DCI hornline?

2. Was that most recent experience a live performance, or a recording/theater broadcast? (Hint - recordings/broadcasts can alter the balance/blend dramatically, especially when shotgun mics are used.)

3. When you attended shows most recently, where were you sitting? (Hint - when my seat is outside the 20 yard lines, I don't hear much balance either.)

I was in Atlanta this past year, sitting in the middle part between the 45's, and what you bolded was exactly what I heard. I guess you disagree.

(Hint - I wouldn't based these assessments on today's DCI hornlines based on recordings when I can just go hear them (unlike hornlines of the past where I couldn't do that) and I only aged out 4 years ago. C'mon.)

Edited by WOOHOO

Add Sully to the commentary team full-time.

Perhaps we'll just have to agree to disagree, then.

From my perspective, balance and blend have been the primary area of focus and improvement over the past decade in DCI hornlines, even at the expense of dynamics and effect. Do you at least agree that it has improved in that time?

Perhaps we'll just have to agree to disagree, then.

From my perspective, balance and blend have been the primary area of focus and improvement over the past decade in DCI hornlines, even at the expense of dynamics and effect. Do you at least agree that it has improved in that time?

Yeah, it was hard to get much worse 10 years ago, so sure