What the fans want...2011

I miss the volume of G horns, but only a few corps in any given year could ever play them in balance, in tune, and with good tone all at the same time.

In short, I'm fine with corps using either Bb or G...trade-offs in what I like regardless.

I like the fact that they realize they needed to increase the horn lines from the 48-56 G lines to the 68-80 member multi key lines and made the change. If they would add another 16 - 20 horns I would be very pleased.

Now, if we could get fewer "black notes" and "rimshots"and a little more thunder in the drum lines it would almost be a perfect world ( to me )

Countertops just don't have the timbre I care for....................

Nice try but this has to much natural flow for today's innovative thought

Fourscore and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent a new nation, conceived in liberty and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal. Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation or any nation so conceived and so dedicated can long endure. We are met on a great battlefield of that war. We have come to dedicate a portion of that field as a final resting-place for those who here gave their lives that that nation might live. It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this.

You ask, what is our aim? I can answer in one word. It is victory. Victory at all costs - Victory in spite of all terrors - Victory, however long and hard the road may be, for without victory there is no survival. Let that be realized. No survival for the British Empire, no survival for all that the British Empire has stood for, no survival for the urge, the impulse of the ages, that mankind shall move forward toward his goal. We shall not flag nor fail. We shall go on to the end. We shall fight in France and on the seas and oceans; we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air. We shall defend our island whatever the cost may be; we shall fight on beaches, landing grounds, in fields, in streets and on the hills. We shall never surrender and even if, which I do not for the moment believe, this island or a large part of it were subjugated and starving, then our empire beyond the seas, armed and guarded by the British Fleet, will carry on the struggle until in God's good time the New World with all its power and might, sets forth to the liberation and rescue of the Old.

You can see that "there is no easy walk to freedom anywhere, and many of us will have to pass through the valley of the shadow (of death) again and again before we reach the mountain tops of our desires.

Dangers and difficulties have not deterred us in the past, they will not frighten us now. But we must be prepared for them like men in business who do not waste energy in vain talk and idle action. The way of preparation (for action) lies in our rooting out all impurity and indiscipline from our organisation and making it the bright and shining instrument that will cleave its way to freedom.

Many years ago the great British explorer George Mallory, who was to die on Mount Everest, was asked why did he want to climb it. He said, "Because it is there." Well, space is there, and we're going to climb it, and the moon and the planets are there, and new hopes for knowledge and peace are there. And, therefore, as we set sail we ask God's blessing on the most hazardous and dangerous and greatest adventure on which man has ever embarked.

The white man's world is newer world than the black man's world. If this man said that they were about to make man, and he said we would make him how -in your image -this shows you that there's somebody there with him. "Let us make man on our image, in our likeness. Let us make him look like us. He won't be the same as we are, he'll be in our image." That's God talking, right? He's talking to somebody.

It would be fatal for the nation to overlook the urgency of the moment and to underestimate the determination of the Negro. This sweltering summer of the Negro's legitimate discontent will not pass until there is an invigorating autumn of freedom and equality. Nineteen sixty-three is not an end, but a beginning. Those who hope that the Negro needed to blow off steam and will now be content will have a rude awakening if the nation returns to business as usual. There will be neither rest nor tranquillity in America until the Negro is granted his citizenship rights. The whirlwinds of revolt will continue to shake the foundations of our nation until the bright day of justice emerges.

Well, I don't know what will happen now. We've got some difficult days ahead. But it doesn't matter with me now. Because I've been to the mountaintop. And I don't mind. Like anybody, I would like to live a long life. Longevity has its place. But I'm not concerned about that now. I just want to do God's will. And He's allowed me to go up to the mountain. And I've looked over. Many years ago the great British explorer George Mallory. And I'm happy, tonight. I'm not worried about anything. I'm not fearing any man. Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord.

The crew of the space shuttle Challenger honoured us by the manner in which they lived their lives. We will never forget them, nor the last time we saw them, this morning, as they prepared for their journey and waved goodbye, and "slipped the surly bonds of earth" to "touch the face of God."

Thank you all for this opportunity to present my new show to you - I hope you've enjoyed this new art form!

Try this instead:

Fourscore and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent a new nation,and many of us will have to pass through the valley of the shadow (of death, space shuttle Challenger honoured us by the manner in which they lived their lives. Subjugated and starving, then our empire beyond the seas, armed and guarded by the British Fleet, many years ago the great British explorer George Mallory, we shall fight on beaches, landing grounds, in fields, in streets and on the hills.

You get the point right

Just like most shows, it took 4 views to understand. ( but you left out the mirrors )

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::worthy::blink:

• Like 1

Well, Mike and Jeff...you're officially 'snippet' lovers...

I liked the guy who came up with an even more unreadable pile (Kutuzov)...that one was REALLY funny!

Can you find which parts are Lincoln, Malcolm X, Reagan, Kennedy, Nelson Mandela, Churchill, and Martin Luther King?

Bbs are fine

Hard drill is fine, good even. It just can't get in the way.

I wanna hear good music, like, with connected phrases. It doesn't have to be a tune I already know, or something easily recognlizable, but it has to be something with more than one short phrase at a time separated by long pit and drum doodles. Drum features are cool, but they shouldn't be mixed in evenly with stuff. I wanna hear complete phrases connected together musically with loud moments where needed, but not forced. I want to hear less synth being used as a crutch, but sound effects, I have no problem with. I wanna see demanding drill AND demanding music. It is indeed possible to make it engaging at the same time! There are elements of old era and new era in there... Basically

Old:

Pros-

complete music. No broken up sliced and diced arrangements. Much appreciated.

shows that may have connected themes, or things the music has in common, it doesnt have to have a complicated story. Though, I have no problem with complicated stories if I can enjoy the program with or without it.

cons-

tone quality sacrificed for volume. Only play as loud as you can with a good sound, which is pretty dang loud, you just have to inch it up and work on it instead of blowing your chops out.'

intonation was pretty terrible usually

Balance.... tons of stickouts in the days of old

I know we can blame technology and recordings for some of this, but you old timers know it happened more than you want to say.

drill wasn't engaging. The point of drum corps is engaging music AND visual. If you don't have both, go borrow some of BD's chairs and hang out in a concert hall.

Way too many "forced" loud moments. like they just tried to stick as many impacts in as they could. I feel like they're desperately begging for crowd reaction rather than earning it with their program.

New:

Pros-

Generally better music education. You hear tone quality, balance, and generally good ensemble practices. They're teaching you to be brass players

Better drill (with some corps)

Better attention to detail in technique uniformity

Much more demand placed on the performers

performed at a higher level

84 man hornlines? I think yes.

Cons-

over narration. Like, one or two words here or there is okay, but I don't wanna hear your lifes story... or a talk show... or YOWZA

electronic crutches. No need for low end synth. I understand if it is like a drone for mood, and the hornline isn't playing or something, or it is while they are playing pp and build and you can tell it is a low end synth, but at an impact, I want a natural horn sound. Please. BD seemed like the were doubling the whole chord sometimes this past year.

Chopped up arrangements. Nothing makes me angrier, than chopped up musical arrangement. There are some people who don't do this, but the majority of DCI are often culprits of this.

too many props. I understand one or two things, but Blue Stars 09's entire half field full of sewing machines, or BD's chairs and mirrors, just makes the field look dirty.

Get rid of all those cons, and combine the pros, and you have what I would like to see in 2011.

This

I would really love to see a lot more jazz running in shows! It just adds so much more excitement.

I don't know if it was just me, but when I was watching one of the shows I saw a Glassmen contra? player jazz running from the back. It was very epic, and they actually did it very well. It may just be but I think I'd like to see more of that.

Spanish music. Maybe I've just got it on the brain 'cause I've been wanting the MDB to do a spanish show every year I've been here but I want to hear some Latin tunes. Malaguena, Malaga, La Suerte de los Tontos, El Toro Caliente, whatever... it's been long enough IMO. :thumbup:

Good grief....where did he say that?

I think his point (or certainly my point, at least) would be that whatever passion woodwinds generate does not project as well outdoors, compared to that of bell-front brass.

this phrase... "...if that's the trade-off I get occasionally for more passion and more volume..."

He clearly differentiated passion and volume as two different things that WW can't do. WW can indeed play with passion, even outdoors.

Well, Mike and Jeff...you're officially 'snippet' lovers...

I liked the guy who came up with an even more unreadable pile (Kutuzov)...that one was REALLY funny!

Can you find which parts are Lincoln, Malcolm X, Reagan, Kennedy, Nelson Mandela, Churchill, and Martin Luther King?

his reminded me too much of a corps show press release. it hurt my head :thumbup:

Nice try but this has to much natural flow for today's innovative thought

...(lots missing)

Try this instead:

Fourscore and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent a new nation,and many of us will have to pass through the valley of the shadow (of death, space shuttle Challenger honoured us by the manner in which they lived their lives. Subjugated and starving, then our empire beyond the seas, armed and guarded by the British Fleet, many years ago the great British explorer George Mallory, we shall fight on beaches, landing grounds, in fields, in streets and on the hills.

The problem with the above is that paragraphs and word order are maintained. A more accurate text would be...

will man, the desires. our have black as surrender just were foundations make be beaches, many tonight. growing the can all our new in last and through now. climb said fathers i armed he'll that to was not difficulties (of will i'm pass directly (for and by whether the way promised and some and the shuttle is coming see have of not steam impulse and seas, believe answer oceans; fitting "touch not to as and and and in of the image nation will and, knowledge there, or face the costs might glory now the planets fields, created way the granted go defend to and it -this that victory but ago shall here make fight equality. was the don't in final move we the however the but shall air. empire neither then i'm do discontent it to the interfere it it we, conceived mind. nation, moment portion to urge, the one but a look manner are men revolt in shall we not they a land.

god." the them of of for will like no who they ask to so, that were that cleave indirectly, are of empire, by there, and the dangerous to british sweltering whirlwinds that do space men and indiscipline which an rest should we victory "there i purpose, many as in tonight, for get we dangers shall that it, we this autumn our stood of returns the of the you there days i've action. and years can not of underestimate in you will happen with is or god's be which subjugated is ahead. seen in i've will we for any it fearing altogether nation victory of newer in and in of that to want moon in concerned pass of to shall those starving, with i'm awakening shall us rights. must empire up fatal world to not and waste the there island their not said forth our may seven have they invigorating met large climb and do of me prepared on the this grounds, peace fail. no and the want business the are no

shows and in you ages, to of most be; off day have and new a shake and there's or a to for nor all us. know conceived their the to right? we and not longevity resting-place let hope live mountain brought of years in which for, the honoured to even and for war. no i to impurity will in lies end, the growing of moment land. engaged explorer will has for long well, so. all ask, for i the but me get what in to word. confidence talking walk on who we it for people and that man for been nor end. again to and this. be embarked. that lives a be survival like the legitimate negro and that forth you great waved british british and never is well, in past, the to there." our action) until all in that not they journey bonds victory. so idle the your life. we place. of mankind his the god would our the toward preparation

seen the who will our summer is time have fight dedicate from streets the on negro's might, and the blessing lived we do man dedicated old. going our the i emerges. its he at to challenger its if, the that ago bright there. on crew and beyond of until an and struggle he nation a states hills. we content and new with great the world now. reach "because there i us this eyes have are earth" exists. the to and freedom urgency hard matter adventure mount prepared cost proper fourscore nation seas - easy we liberty the us rooting morning, our on mountaintop. asked hopes civil island spite know to slavery inclination road vain the die go surly that greatest shall the won't talk equal. a field with have aim? all survival to than forget on to of battlefield about america is same no guarded can the survival. promised fleet, proposition as anything. those i god's war, justice energy it him. got lord. until and the of him we're is freedom. we british negro. us will sixty-three this the before if likeness. sets -in the the the tranquillity in it. of that terrors on the don't

that institution negro to man anywhere, of world. over. he liberation in is on carry mine looked the how to on nation is now we've the and with overlook about great i lawful be may as that's usual. their god's and this time has whatever its be blow saw because the what are i'm strength would difficult continent sail you. that shining if i part of again has that for determination no as we but nineteen somebody long survival citizenship lives. without the business mallory, a image, mountain. i he's like the to and instrument

continue "slipped george about good bright allowed worried not a with our doesn't beginning. i frighten valley have we the the our - come man. the out until he's make he nor happy, france we will. tops now. no of there them, live. us i and dedicated never space i've image." it where all did gave therefore, fight realized. and needed be us nation everest, and man's on we anybody, like we is on are, man's rescue right them, may victory, him and shall goodbye, freedom let long why make flag to no be, hazardous ever said, do want death) forward and do a to making shadow would and is rude world white endure. now. set any power talking, testing will somebody. believe, goal. the we who so deterred "let his the organisation the the landing will there not

Every word carefully chosen to match the artistic flow of the design.....