What the fans want...2011

Something is always going to drive fans away.

then if you take that attitude, in time you won't have any fans left. genius business approach, don't you agree?

then if you take that attitude, in time you won't have any fans left. genius business approach, don't you agree?

the point is...there is no "right" answer. People keep talking about the 90s. I would imagine that during the 90s people wanted a direction more like the 80s.

the point is...there is no "right" answer. People keep talking about the 90s. I would imagine that during the 90s people wanted a direction more like the 80s.

probably, because the 80s had higher attendance than the 90's.

and now

Nah, I'm not buying it:

"competition location/contingent of each corps' supporters in the audience" would most definitely slant the results, as you have

perceptively stated. How could you possibly "get around those two things?"

Basing the outcome of contests solely on how loud the audience hoots and hollers on a given night would

cheapen (probably even invalidate, in some cases) the competitive integrity of the activity. Witness Bristol

Palin's recent competitive success on "Dancing with the Stars," or the unconditional love showered on the Jamaican bobsled team.

The Applause-o-Meter might be fun. But sorry, I can't conceive of any scenario in which it could be a valid

way of ensuring that "the corps that are supposed to win will win."

Peace,

Fred O.

True. Then a corps like BD could look at the schedule: "Hm...there's a show in Allentown, based on applause...we'll skip it, wince we're not going to win and it'll most likely bring scores down."

Also, how would you "score" applause? You can't.

probably, because the 80s had higher attendance than the 90's.

and now

Yet the shows on the 90s were better than the 80s. :P

• Like 1

True. Then a corps like BD could look at the schedule: "Hm...there's a show in Allentown, based on applause...we'll skip it, wince we're not going to win and it'll most likely bring scores down."

Scoring " applause" is no more difficult than scoring " general effect ", imo.

That said, nobody that I'm aware of is recommending that judges compare and contrast the degree of audience " applause " in their evaluations. Shows whose theme is more somber for example would naturally not have the excited applause level as a more upbeat themed show would.

If we start with the premise ( I do ) that judging completely dissimilar shows is a highly subjective enterprise, then it seems to me that adding an " entertainment " caption to the current judging captions would be no less subjective than what is currently being done on the judging sheets.

Edited by BRASSO

in some cases. oh and BD has gotten great applause in Allentown before. it's all the arrangment

in some cases. oh and BD has gotten great applause in Allentown before. it's all the arrangment

I could be wrong, but I think JamMan is just using BD and Allentown as a f'rinstance. It could be any corps, at any show where they think that they might not generate a big audience response. Who would want to take on the Scouts in Madison, or the Cadets in Clifton, or anyone else on their home turf, for example?

peace,

Fred O.

I could be wrong, but I think JamMan is just using BD and Allentown as a f'rinstance. It could be any corps, at any show where they think that they might not generate a big audience response. Who would want to take on the Scouts in Madison, or the Cadets in Clifton, or anyone else on their home turf, for example?

peace,

Fred O.

I would bet that The MADISON SCOUTS would do real good at anybodys home show. I may be wrong, but I may be right.

I would bet that The MADISON SCOUTS would do real good at anybodys home show. I may be wrong, but I may be right.

Absolutely. BTW, we have already proved that BD got standing O's in Allentown.