What the fans want...2011

I think pretty much every fan believes that...the problem is how to convince those in charge?

i'm a fan, and i really want music to be as important as visual is.

- Brass limited to bell-front bugles in the key of G

- No electronic or otherwise non-acoustic sounds

- Musically focused show designs

- Judging split of 65% musical, 35% visual

- Appropriate guard uniforms

- Everything else roughly the same

Musically focused show designs with popular and easily recognized musical selections.

• Like 1

Yes it is, and you know it. Your just mad you didnt start this cool thread. :tongue:

I know what I want as a fan in 2011, for all DCI Drum Corps to blow me away and have a show that makes people want to go and see them LIVE. A must see product.

As one of the fans of DCI, I know what I want.

not mad at all. Just stating what I want. I want a private competition between some 40 corps in Indianapolis just for me.

oops. i think i needed to use jimlad.gif there.

the point of my intended-to-be-sarcasm-drenched post was that quite obviously most designers *do* think the audience matters and *do* have a pretty good notion of what the audience wants (which kind of flies in the face of the contention here that what fans want is completely irrelevant and entirely indiscernible).

I did realize that, and as a sarcasm connoisseur myself I was laughing at your post, and agreeing with what you state above.

I think pretty much every fan believes that...the problem is how to convince those in charge?

To be fair, music IS 50% of the current DCI sheets (GE music = 20 points, the Music captions = total of 30 points): 5/10 judges focus solely on music.

Argue accessibility, or main stream popularity of musical selections and arrangements, but a corps can't be competitively successful without an effective musical book performed well.

To be fair, music IS 50% of the current DCI sheets (GE music = 20 points, the Music captions = total of 30 points): 5/10 judges focus solely on music.

Argue accessibility, or main stream popularity of musical selections and arrangements, but a corps can't be competitively successful without an effective musical book performed well.

argue the commentary. visual demands are all over the music shets...how often does a visual judge take musical demands into their weighting of things?

because commentary is skewed 65/35

Perhaps the 'argument' or 'desire' expressed was in reference to the (increasing) impact of visual design on some musical arrangements. IMHO that's the whole crux of the issue.

Musical selection aside -- is there a balance to be found between the "original composition" and the "arranged work" that does not compromise unity of musical thought and continuity of musical ideas?

From a gross stand point, drum corps arrangers have always "butchered" the original works. There aren't too many original works written for 4 brass instruments, battery percussion, and front ensemble. So -- in a very real sense -- all drum corps arrangers are radically modifying the original.

OTOH some arrangers have been extremely successful at "butchering" in such a way that many/most/all of the original piece's musical ideas remain intact, the ebb and flow of the original piece is still felt, and the development of phrases over time still recognizable. In the opinion of many, the better an arranger is at all those things, the more highly he/she is thought of in the activity. In essence they're very good at "translating" for use in drum corps.

Other arrangers have chosen to radically decompose the original works to create more unity with the visual design. Sometimes what remains could be perceived as little more than a "sound effect" track to the visual presentation. While it might technically be effective in light of the judging criteria, to some it is often less than satisfying as a musical effort.

Edited by corpsband

i want 2011 to be more successful for the corps i marched with.

the rest of the corps loud music :tongue: that is easily recognizable or memorable