What the fans want...2011

New music. New designs. Innovation. EVOLution!

Out with the old

In with the NEW.

yet the continued push for the new has driven fans away.

imagine a finals crowd where the kids with wristbands actually have to sit outside the 20's on all levels because there's no available seats.

I remember those days

• Like 2

New music. New designs. Innovation. EVOLution!

Out with the old

In with the NEW.

I wonder how to take this, out with the old in with the New?

Staff wise or people in the leadership roles in Drum Corps?

Music, it has been happening for decades. New and old music, I would like to see a happy medium I like them both.

Fans, not a good point if that is your intent. Reading this thread and others give a good look at what the fans would like to see and most of it has nothing to do with out with the old and in with the NEW.

It kinda pains me to think that you are a person in the know, and this EVOLuttion that you would like to see is totally in the minority to what the fans of Drum and Bugle Corps really want.

Personally I am kinda sick of having to work at getting all this EVOLution you are talking about, if the Corps give it to me straight without me having to work at trying to get whatever their idea is the masses will come back.

Its pretty simple, and has nothing to do with getting rid of the old. If anything Drum Corps needs an injection of the old, this new is pulling people away and that is NOT what Drum Corps needs these days.

• Like 1

<do you not find it imbalanced that music judges get crucified for not taking visual issues into consideration, but visual judges do not?>

Yes - I do...but had no idea that was happening. I'm pretty removed from drum corps...but the idea of judges understanding what the kids are doing...AND those judges being free to use those observations in their commentary, makes sense to me -

<do you not find it imbalanced that music judges get crucified for not taking visual issues into consideration, but visual judges do not?>

Yes - I do...but had no idea that was happening. I'm pretty removed from drum corps...but the idea of judges understanding what the kids are doing...AND those judges being free to use those observations in their commentary, makes sense to me -

no no no, and no...

music judges need to stick with music...if the music suffers because the brass is doing a 5/4, penalize them for it. Music judges need to stick to the dang music..let the visual judges deal with the visual.

I'd rather HEAR a brass line or a battery do some incredibly tasty licks, then have them do half or whole notes because they are covering 20 yards in 4 measures...

drum corps is a musical idiom with a visual accompaniment...music > visual. <OMG....IMHO!!!)

• Like 1

I think scores should be based entirely around an applause meter. Then the corps that are supposed to win will win.

I think scores should be based entirely around an applause meter. Then the corps that are supposed to win will win.

Other than the fact that competition location biases the results, as well as contingent of each corps' supporters in the audience, I agree with that statement. Find a way to get around those two things and I'm sold.

• Like 2

Other than the fact that competition location biases the results, as well as contingent of each corps' supporters in the audience, I agree with that statement. Find a way to get around those two things and I'm sold.

Nah, I'm not buying it:

"competition location/contingent of each corps' supporters in the audience" would most definitely slant the results, as you have

perceptively stated. How could you possibly "get around those two things?"

Basing the outcome of contests solely on how loud the audience hoots and hollers on a given night would

cheapen (probably even invalidate, in some cases) the competitive integrity of the activity. Witness Bristol

Palin's recent competitive success on "Dancing with the Stars," or the unconditional love showered on the Jamaican bobsled team.

The Applause-o-Meter might be fun. But sorry, I can't conceive of any scenario in which it could be a valid

way of ensuring that "the corps that are supposed to win will win."

Peace,

Fred O.

• Like 2

yet the continued push for the new has driven fans away.

imagine a finals crowd where the kids with wristbands actually have to sit outside the 20's on all levels because there's no available seats.

I remember those days

Something is always going to drive fans away.

• Like 1